Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 50
Page 50 of 66 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; let me get the rules set straight (sounds like they are different than ours) first- I can take a better ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    let me get the rules set straight (sounds like they are different than ours) first- I can take a better stab at an answer

you can swap dampers? (we can do this)
    you can swap springs? (we can't do this)
    you can swap front and rear sway bars? (front only)
    you can or can't run R comps? (we can run R comps)
    rule on wheels?
    anything else suspension/tire/wheel wise that is allowed?

Mike
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    in Stock class we're stuck...with the double wishbone can't be done...there are aftermarket camber kits (they replace bushings in the rear control arms) that allow for adjustment
    Hey there Big Sky. I have a 2009 WRX bought in October 2008.

Recently I got 235/45/17 G-Force Sport tires, which I think look great. The front tires are almost flush with the fender, but not so with the rears. Then I noticed the negative camber on the rear wheels. I saw this since the car was new, but now is more evident.

Is this the OEM setup? Does your quote means the rear camber is fixed or can this be corrected by the tecs?

Front tires are set perpendicular to the road. I would like the rears to be the same, which would look better with the rear fender.

I Support ClubWRX
    the camber in the rear is non-adjustable (unlike previous strut based Imprezas)- the only way around it is through the addition of new control arms or new control arms bushings

the little bit of neg camber in the rear is fine for most endeavors- you'd be better off trying to get more up front than removing what there is in the rear- from a performance standpoint anyways

What I'm aiming for is better appearance and, I suppose, better wear of the tires.

The control arm is the wishbone link? If so, the bushing is the one point connecting to the hub?

I Support ClubWRX
    two "wishbones"- a lower and upper- Whiteline makes both a replacement arm and a replacement bushing set- basically allows you to lengthen/shorten one of the arms- thereby changing camber

it would be nice to have the ability to change camber in the rear, it's just the double wishbone (while certainly a nice upgrade) as is doesn't allow any adj

I'm looking at the AllData diagrams and I see only one upper "wishbone" arm. The other parts are "link" types; where's the other wishbone or why is it called "double"?

I also checked Whiteline's offerings for the 2009 models and didn't see this wishbone at their site. Maybe for other models?

Regarding the camber bushing kit, is .75 degrees a lot?

I Support ClubWRX
    the two lower lower links form a "wishbone"

here's a pic of the arms

.75 isn't a lot, but it would give the adjustment necessary to reduce cross (difference left and right) camber in the rear

WOW! Those are very nice, and with poly bushings. The site indicates for the STI and seem to have an offset comparing with the WRX arm...would they fit? Has anyone tried?

Hmmm...could .75 be enough to make the tires perpendicular? Anyway, I have to ask the tecs what will they let me do without risking warranty, for which 1.5 years remain.
    Last edited by Julio Bro!; 02-17-2010 at 01:32 PM.

The guys at RallySportDirect.com checked with Whiteline regarding the adjustable arms and they fit ONLY the STI.

I guess we have to go with the adj. bushings, search if there's another brand for the arm, or wait for Whiteline to bring the WRX version.

I Support ClubWRX
    that's good to know- there obviously are some minor differences in the upper rear arms between WRX and STi

Big_Sky - great thread. Subscribed. Quick question - I plan on ordering the same shift knob, have you been able to find an e-brake handle to match? I'm a little OCD like that.

I've heard that the 07 STi handle will match, but I haven't had any luck finding one.

I Support ClubWRX
    first let me welcome you aboard!

I haven't found a match, but would like to

here's a pic from a 07 interior- definitely has red stitching

fitment I don't know

I don't know about fitment and I cannot see the stitching from this pic, but here is one from an 04 for $99.

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_...hp?partid=5648

Looks like someone used the one from the 07 over on 3gwrx. He mentioned something about cutting the old one off.

E-brake handle
    Last edited by kalidas; 02-22-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added link to 3gwrx

BigSky,

I obviously don't have your magic. I did my alignment last week and was only able to squeeze out -0.9deg of camber in the front (granted I got it symmetrical). The resulting toe out across the 18.25" wheel rim was 1/32" on each side so I didn't even both adjusting it as that is within alignment specs and a little toe out can't hurt for autox.

For you did it truly turn out that max camber was achieved when the two 'outlier' tick marks were vertical (aligned with the tick on the strut clevis) and the rest of the ticks were inboard of the wheel? I ask because I question how accurate those ticks are on the eccentric bolt.

However, I will have to say going from -10" (ie 0) to -0.9 deg, definitely helped with lateral grip at the autox I went to last weekend. Was able to get on the throttle much earlier at turn exit without pushing. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference.
    Last edited by 09rexwagon; 03-06-2010 at 05:09 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    oh yeah- camber is king when it comes to the twisties

I don't even look at the tick marks- personally I don't think they are very accurate

to eek out those last couple of tenths requires loosening everything up (even the upper strut mounts) AND some kind of mechanical leverage- it's a pain and to be honest if you have 0 cross and camber near -1.0 (which you have both) probably not work the extra effort, but it's there if you feel you need it down the road