Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 48
+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; All this talk of spring rates and struts makes me giddy... Cant wait till I get my dspecs/ RCE blacks ...

All this talk of spring rates and struts makes me giddy...
    Cant wait till I get my dspecs/ RCE blacks in my 2004 wrx this winter for the next autox season!
    Cobb Accessport v1 stage 2 93 map, Nitto Invo Tires, Sti Front and Perrin Rear Sways, Rota Torque Wheels, APS Exhaust 3.5" turbo back. Catless TurboXS Up pipe, Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake lines, Hawk HPS Brake Pads, Paranoid Fabrications Cowl Braces, Group-N Tophats, Group-N Trans and Engine Mount, Tokico Dspec w/ Rce Black springs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    So Mike you have owned the car for about a year or more....are you as attached to this one as the old one?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I am I really like what Subaru has done w/ the 09 (and 10)- stepping up the performance (engine and handling) is the right direction to go. I like the looks of the new body style as well (interior saw a lot of nice touches too)- the older wagon style is still very attractive IMO, but so is this.

I miss the mpg of the 2.0 liter, but the new car isn't too bad 25-27 on the interstate (80 mph). While it would be nice to see 27-29 like I used to, I'm more than happy to give that up for all the additional torque

Mike
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I am I really like what Subaru has done w/ the 09 (and 10)- stepping up the performance (engine and handling) is the right direction to go. I like the looks of the new body style as well (interior saw a lot of nice touches too)- the older wagon style is still very attractive IMO, but so is this.

I miss the mpg of the 2.0 liter, but the new car isn't too bad 25-27 on the interstate (80 mph). While it would be nice to see 27-29 like I used to, I'm more than happy to give that up for all the additional torque

Mike

God I was Cali had MT gas. My 06 wrx gets 23mpg highway. My buddy just bought a silver 10 hatch and hes averaging 23 highway as well.

I wonder if elevation comes into play. We are at sea level and more air =more fuel. hummm
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    we have crappy gas too- 91

I would think increased elevation would decrease mileage ?????

I Support ClubWRX
    we have crappy gas too- 91

I would think increased elevation would decrease mileage ?????
    Yeah but Cali gets the ACN blend which decreases mileage substantially. I drive to Oregon and get 2-3 mpg better right out of the gate.

I would think the opposite about the mileage with elevation. At higher altitudes air is less dense. Since the computer regulates fuel flow and is constantly monitoring the situation through the o2's, I would think that less air = less fuel. The ECU is going to try to hit the MAF value targets programmed in. So I would think that mileage would increase because less fuel is being pumped in, and power would decrease.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess we do get better gas

a search of the intraweb yields no consensus on gas mileage and elevation (that I could find)- there is a consensus that you lose power (hence the reason some time they use a correction factor for 1/4 mile times- always quicker at sea level)

Big Sky,

What is the diameter of the rear koni body? I want to make sure it will fit in the lathe I have access to.

Also, what are the dimensions of the circlip grooves? Is it just a square cut? How deep/wide is the groove. I have a 125 thousandths square parting tool that I was wondering if it'd work.

I'm thinking about turning my own urethane bushings for the konis. Would 82A durometer be too hard. What where those whitelines? Do you still have the pins that go through the WL ones you bought? If so what are the dimensions (ID is 12.22mm)?
    Last edited by 09rexwagon; 12-05-2009 at 06:59 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 09rexwagon View Post
    Big Sky,

What is the diameter of the rear koni body? I want to make sure it will fit in the lathe I have access to.

Also, what are the dimensions of the circlip grooves? Is it just a square cut? How deep/wide is the groove. I have a 125 thousandths square parting tool that I was wondering if it'd work.

I'm thinking about turning my own urethane bushings for the konis. Would 82A durometer be too hard. What where those whitelines? Do you still have the pins that go through the WL ones you bought? If so what are the dimensions (ID is 12.22mm)?
    I'm out of town for a couple of days, I'll see what I can report when I get back.

Mike

I'm out of town for a couple of days, I'll see what I can report when I get back.

Mike
    I appreciate it. No rush.

I have a bar of 82A durometer urethane that is 2.25" in diameter. I hope to use this to turn down my bushings for the koni rears. Are the eye holes less that 2.25". I assume so from your pictures, but just making sure.....I want to avoid a McMaster order if all possible. You know how it goes, if you have to place a Grainger/McMaster order it always works out to be a few hundred bucks because you ALWAYS order more crap than you need .

EDIT: damn, I need some steel rod for the pins anyway, McMaster it is .
    Last edited by 09rexwagon; 12-06-2009 at 07:46 PM.

By the way, I've contemplated upgrade brake pads or getting some autox only pads, but in the events I've been in (doing street tire DS) there has never been a time where I've encountered a fade situation, nor a time where I was limited in braking ability due to the brakes themselves. The tires are always the limiting factor and hence ABS being activated. Are the Dunlop SP Sport 01s really that mediocre?

By the way, I've contemplated upgrade brake pads or getting some autox only pads, but in the events I've been in (doing street tire DS) there has never been a time where I've encountered a fade situation, nor a time where I was limited in braking ability due to the brakes themselves. The tires are always the limiting factor and hence ABS being activated. Are the Dunlop SP Sport 01s really that mediocre?
    Compared to r-comps, yes, they are mediocre. Compared to the top street tires they are probably a 6 or 7 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by BSTON View Post
    Compared to r-comps, yes, they are mediocre. Compared to the top street tires they are probably a 6 or 7 out of 10.
    Oh for sure compared to r comps.

I'm going to do street tire DS for the year, so I was wondering if anyone else was finding a situation where the street tires were so grippy (as in ABS didn't enter the equation) such that the OEM pads proved inadequate. While autox is tough on brakes, fade generally isn't something we'd encounter.

I will probably get some Hawk HP+ for track only down the road, but I'm just trying to figure out what benefit I'd be getting if I'm limited by tire traction and not braking ability/efficiency/fade etc.

If I didn't have as much done to my car as I do, I'd likely make the move to a new WRX.

I really like what you've done with yours Mike.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I will probably get some Hawk HP+ for track only down the road, but I'm just trying to figure out what benefit I'd be getting if I'm limited by tire traction and not braking ability/efficiency/fade etc.
    I find the stock pads just fine for autox. No street tire will overtax them in most driving situations. I'll change to something else when they wear out, or find I don't like them with r-comps if I go that way next year.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.