Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 41
Page 41 of 66 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; congrats once you get it broke in I think you'll find there is very little power difference between your 06 ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    congrats once you get it broke in I think you'll find there is very little power difference between your 06 STi and 09 WRX- one of my EVO instructors commented on the power of the 09 (he campaigned a national level STU STi)

handling- yeah, there's room for improvement

I like the bigger front bar and have noticed no adverse effects daily driving (I just got back from a 2000 mile trip that included a fair amount of driving on USFS gravel roads)

I think the bars you have picked out will be a good choice
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just read the whole thread and I must congratulate you on your choices thus far. I'm certainly learning a great deal.

Please keep up the good work!
    "if you are going to tell someone the truth you had better make them laugh otherwise they'll kill you" - George Bernard Shaw.
    Bugeye Mafia #214
    Dirty Crew #42

I Support ClubWRX
    thank you Sir

well I got my alignment yesterday and promptly turned up the damping ~ 1/2 way (3/4 of a turn) f/r and started to put the car through it's paces- it's much better (much)

I drove it to Billings today (300 miles round trip) and it was plenty comfy (back to full soft )- typical Koni- it does have a fair amount of low speed compression damping and thus the occasional seam/crack gives you more "feedback" than the stock dampers- this was the same on the Koni's I had on my 04

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    thank you Sir

well I got my alignment yesterday and promptly turned up the damping ~ 1/2 way (3/4 of a turn) f/r and started to put the car through it's paces- it's much better (much)

I drove it to Billings today (300 miles round trip) and it was plenty comfy (back to full soft )- typical Koni- it does have a fair amount of low speed compression damping and thus the occasional seam/crack gives you more "feedback" than the stock dampers- this was the same on the Koni's I had on my 04
    Sounds awesome Big Sky. I think that the Koni's are going to be moved up on my list of upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    I want to get some Whitleline roll bars like you've mentioned. I do not autocross, but I am thinking of getting the thicker 24/26mm for fronts and the 18/20/22 for the rears. Is there any disavantage to using the thicker bar, over the smaller 22/24mm for everday spirited driving?
    I am personally running the 24mm Adjustable front bar and the 22mm adjustable rear on my 09. The front is at the larger setting and the rear in the middle. It drives great right now. There is still a little bit of roll but nothing bad.

I will say that for the rear endlinks that I am not really fond of the whitelines. I am thinking of trying different brand. For the front I am currently running the Kartboy's until I get my new ones, gauging interest wagon (and sedan :)) front spherical links.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    Were you able to get more negative camber in this alignment, or was it about the same as before? I can't remember offhand whether you had it aligned between when you bought it and when you got the Konis. Are you comfortable telling us the rest of your alignment settings?

It's great to have someone who knows what they're doing put all this work in and report about it. Much appreciated!!

I Support ClubWRX
    numbers are the same basically, -1.3 up front (this is not easy to get- I have to loosen everything up- including the top three nuts- push in the top of the knuckle, all the while using a manifold spreader between the rim and the control arm!)- previously I got -1.4, but couldn't quite get it this time, rear camber increased slightly- a tenth, could be spring settling, could be the Koni's are a non-gas shock and the car sits a little lower- they were at -1.3 (previously -1.2)

caster was 6+ both sides- still can't get over how much caster FHI added

a lot of the 08/09 guys are only getting around -1.0 (a few even a tenth or two less) so I feel very lucky to be getting what I'm getting

I was going to go w/ a little toe out, but in the end I decided to go w/ 0 toe f/r- eventually I'll try a little toe out f/r

What would be a good sway bar combo for an 08 WRX hatch? I was considering the Whiteline 24mm adj. bar in the front and the 22mm adj. bar in the rear? Thoughts? Concerns? And what would be a good set of endlinks for the front and rear? I thought about Perrin? Are they noisy? The car is my daily driver, but does see the track quite often...not auto-x albeit...but still the track. Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    for guys that are looking for an "aggressive" street set up I'd probably recommend a 22 front adj w/ a 20mm rear adj- if your hitting the track then the 24 f/22 r would be a good one

The whole Koni project is looking more and more like something I could screw up royally.

I may have to wait until Koni gets them consumer ready.

I have an aquaintance racing in the Speed World Challenge Touring car series, for Mazda, and I asked him if he could mosey down to the pits for Andrew Aquilante's WRX and see what he is running, or at least catch a Koni Rep. and ask if it's in the works.

I Support ClubWRX
    the Koni's are a bit of a pita, not going to lie. I can tell you the damping over the oe struts/shocks is considerably better. If they made them ready to go, they would sell. The did the LGT run, but didn't have a lot of takers- I told them the WRX would be a different story.

I think the Subaru team runs a LGT Spec B if I'm not mistaken. They run Koni double adjustable dampers- they are available for sale, but very pricey (iirc $3500-ish)

BigSky,
    Thanks for the good read. I just traded in my '04 VW R32 for an '09 WRX Premium 5-door (white) on Tuesday.
    Tail lights are my first mod. I like what you've done with those. During that process...was the LaminX film cut before or after installing them on the tail lights?

Aside from getting my car ready for winter with all weather mats and winter tires, mods (esp. performance mods) will have to wait until next summer.
    Short Shifter is first on my list.

I love how Subaru offers so much performance parts for the enthusiast crowd.

Also, when you were dealing with choosing headlight-bulb upgrades, were HIDs on your list of possibilities?
    I figured it would be easy for the dealership to sell STI HID ballasts & bulbs and install them on WRXs...since they are already projector headlights. no?

I Support ClubWRX
    congrats on your new purchase and welcome aboard

the film was put on then cut (by a professional- not me )

yeah I would love to have HID's, but the cost of the oe STi ones are pretty prohibitive ~ $1500 +

now a guy might luck into a used set- ie a rear ended STi that was totaled

these guys are very well respected and do good work- if I was to go HID- I'd probably go through them

Subaru Products & Services | LightWerkz.net

I Support ClubWRX

Reason #32

here's reason #32 why I love the WRX

headed to a two day event (w/ tires/jack/etc)- from there headed for a five day backpacking trip

truly the jackknife of all cars!

I Support ClubWRX
    racing under the Big Sky