Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 19
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 984

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Alan28 Hey, if Bryan H is Bryan Heitkotter from the San Francisco region, I'm gonna sell my ...

  1. #271
    Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Plains of Eastern Montana
    Posts
    12,367
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan28 View Post
    Hey, if Bryan H is Bryan Heitkotter from the San Francisco region, I'm gonna sell my 2009 WRX now and jump into a different class where I won't get squashed.

    Question about the Koni's being built-single or double adjustable and any idea on price? Also, where did you get a sacrificial front and rear strut to send Koni? I checked with Moton and they don't have anything for the WRX yet,but can custom build something if I send in sample struts (I just am trying to avoid buying perfectly good struts from the dealer to use as models for Moton).

    Thanks!
    single adj Koni sports (you can get custom double adj from Koni or some of their authorized shops but it will be $)- these should be in the same ballpark as the 02-07 inserts/LGT's- roughly $600-650

    found somebody who went w/ coilovers and snagged their oe struts/shocks

    if you look earlier in the thread, Vorshlag (of BMW fame) can also do a single or double adj setup (using AST dampers), but the cost is ~ $2000 for single and $3000 for double (and they need oe perches to make them Stock class legal)
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #272
    Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Plains of Eastern Montana
    Posts
    12,367
    I Support ClubWRX
    decided I would go the spartan route for the interior



    actually the bits are going to be shipped off to these guys- they are going to replace the vinyl boots, re-do in leather and stitch in a matching red thread

    - JPMCoachworks | Automotive Redesign Studio - Genunine Alcantara, Suede and Leather Products, Services and Complete Interior Design
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

  4. #273
    Registered User ILikeToGoFast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    42
    I've had my '09 hatchback for a month today. Just wanted to say thanks for the project thread, it's very interesting reading.

    I have some Pirelli Winter Carving tires on and I love em. I feel almost invincible in the ice and snow, it's amazing. Gotta love the AWD/tire combo.

    Cheers

  5. #274
    Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Plains of Eastern Montana
    Posts
    12,367
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ a big welcome aboard! I sold my 2004 wagon to a fellow from Calgary if you see a sporty white WRX wagon running around, might be my old one
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

  6. #275
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    5
    Hey,

    I just got a 2009 WRX a in November, and I've been really happy with it! However, looking at threads like yours (a great one) has given me a mod itch I want to scratch. I want to keep my D stock autocross options open, but I want to improve the fun-ness/handling/etc. I have a Cobb AP already and I have the car at the stage 1 tune (with an SPT catback exhaust and STI short throw shifter), but I can just reflash the stock map if they require it of me.

    Here's my question: Are the SPT front tower strut brace and rear chassis brace worth the money? These options appeal to me because I could have the dealer install them and avoid warranty concerns, and I think they might also qualify for D stock, but I'm not really sure on that point. What do you think?

    Thanks!

  7. #276
    Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Plains of Eastern Montana
    Posts
    12,367
    I Support ClubWRX
    a big welcome to the site! and congrats on your purchase

    unfortunately both the braces are out for Stock class

    Stock class in a nut shell:

    -allows a front sway bar swap (and all associated pieces including mounts and links), but no rear bar changes
    -allows dampers to be swapped w/ aftermarket ones
    -allows different wheels as long as they are of the same size and within a 1/4" of oe offset
    -allows any size DOT tire (including sticky R compounds)
    -any alignment changes that can be made w/ the oe hardware

    that's about it suspension wise, the good thing is that the 09 comes w/ a pretty good setup out of the box- much better than any previous WRX

    beyond that, braces while certainly not negatively impacting performance aren't going to offer too much in the way on the positive side- the new age Imprezas (including the gen3) are rather stiff from the factory so while there are certainly small improvements to be had- nothing dramatic
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

  8. #277
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    a big welcome to the site! and congrats on your purchase

    unfortunately both the braces are out for Stock class

    Stock class in a nut shell:

    -allows a front sway bar swap (and all associated pieces including mounts and links), but no rear bar changes
    -allows dampers to be swapped w/ aftermarket ones
    -allows different wheels as long as they are of the same size and within a 1/4" of oe offset
    -allows any size DOT tire (including sticky R compounds)
    -any alignment changes that can be made w/ the oe hardware

    that's about it suspension wise, the good thing is that the 09 comes w/ a pretty good setup out of the box- much better than any previous WRX

    beyond that, braces while certainly not negatively impacting performance aren't going to offer too much in the way on the positive side- the new age Imprezas (including the gen3) are rather stiff from the factory so while there are certainly small improvements to be had- nothing dramatic
    Thanks!

    So would stock class require me to remove my short throw shifter and SPT catback exhaust too? That seems mean since I bought the car with them already installed

    I guess I won't have the dealer install the braces, then, especially if they won't give a noticable improvement in handling. I'm glad I posted to ask this before going in!

    Do you think a new, thicker front sway bar would be worth the money spent on it? Or would dampers be a more logical first choice? I guess I'm just trying to get a bearing on the priority and effects of these 'stock' mods.

    Thanks again!

  9. #278
    Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Plains of Eastern Montana
    Posts
    12,367
    I Support ClubWRX
    nope the short shifter is fine (factory installed option) as is the exhaust- in stock class exhaust is free from the cat rearward

    A bigger front bar will give you big bang for the buck- our cars utilize a MacPherson strut up front- this setup loses a lot of camber in turns (goes positive) a big front bar will help keep the tire flatter and hence better grip

    the big time shaver in Stock class is the ability to run R compounds- the down side is it requires another set of wheels and the tires are on the spendy side- some regions have a street tire stock class- a nice option if it's available

    uprated dampers will certainly help, but I'd put them behind the front sway bar and R compounds

    the 2009 Solo rules are available for free download here:

    SCCA - Sports Car Club of America

    just look for the stock class rules
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

  10. #279
    Registered User flyboymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by xitrium View Post
    Thanks!

    So would stock class require me to remove my short throw shifter and SPT catback exhaust too? That seems mean since I bought the car with them already installed

    I guess I won't have the dealer install the braces, then, especially if they won't give a noticable improvement in handling. I'm glad I posted to ask this before going in!

    Do you think a new, thicker front sway bar would be worth the money spent on it? Or would dampers be a more logical first choice? I guess I'm just trying to get a bearing on the priority and effects of these 'stock' mods.

    Thanks again!
    Also, it's not a bad idea to run the car without mods for a season if you're new to the sport. I've never run on R-comps, but I've been told they can cover up mistakes.
    (OK) (HATW)

  11. #280
    Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Plains of Eastern Montana
    Posts
    12,367
    I Support ClubWRX
    running some events on street tires is sound advice- I wish we had a street tire stock class as I would run it, but we don't so it's R compounds

    there are definitely some "tricks to the trade" of maneuvering a WRX around a course- street tires will give you more feedback and hasten the learning curve and they're free now that the WRX comes w/ decent summer tires
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

  12. #281
    Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Plains of Eastern Montana
    Posts
    12,367
    I Support ClubWRX
    from another thread in the suspension forum, but relevant for any D Stock guys

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    here's my "official" D Stock list - all 17x7

    2006/7 WRX oe et 55 20.3lbs
    "UK" WRX et 55 18.5 lbs
    2008/9 WRX oe wheels 23.2 lbs


    Kosei K1TS et 50 14.8 lbs
    BBS "mesh" (02/03 option wheel) et 55 15.2 lbs
    OZ superleggera et 48 15.2 lbs
    5Zigen FNO1R-C et 48 15.5 lbs
    BuddyClub P1 SF et 48 16.8 lbs
    Team Dynamics et 50 17.6 lbs
    BBS RK (Saab 92X option wheel) et 48 17.8 lbs

    I've included several et 48 wheels, even though the need to be et 48.65 for D Stock inclusion for a WRX, .65mm = .022"- that could easily be taken off by a machine shop
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

  13. #282
    Registered User flyboymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    running some events on street tires is sound advice- I wish we had a street tire stock class as I would run it, but we don't so it's R compounds

    there are definitely some "tricks to the trade" of maneuvering a WRX around a course- street tires will give you more feedback and hasten the learning curve and they're free now that the WRX comes w/ decent summer tires
    Y'know what, I think every WRX driver should have to autocross on RE92's at least once. It's like the camping trips Calvin and Hobbes always had to go on. It builds character.
    (OK) (HATW)

  14. #283
    Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Plains of Eastern Montana
    Posts
    12,367
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ agreed- except the 09 guys will be spoiled w/ the new Dunlops- no character building for those guys
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

  15. #284
    Registered User AgentH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboymike View Post
    Y'know what, I think every WRX driver should have to autocross on RE92's at least once. It's like the camping trips Calvin and Hobbes always had to go on. It builds character.
    Haha! Agreed! In my case I did my novice school on a set that came on an 06 when I was between tires. It's pretty bad when I felt my $60 Sumitomo all season tires that I ran the autox before had better traction! I was doing the figure 8 slalom exercises and I just couldn't power out of a turn with out plowing like crazy! Man that sucked!
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

  16. #285
    Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Plains of Eastern Montana
    Posts
    12,367
    I Support ClubWRX

    Bump Stops

    as bump stops are free in stock class (*except they can't be longer than the oe ones or come in contact sooner than the oe ones) I'm looking into the viability of tuning to some extent w/ them.

    the oe stops are 59mm front and 79mm rear



    bump stops are like little spring- they have a "spring" rate- generally the further you compress them the higher the rate- at a certain point the rate goes infinite- they simply won't compress any further

    modern bump stops (micro cellular jounce bumpers ) are rather sophisticated affairs that have a fair amount of engineering into them- they play an important role in adding to the spring rate and generally are progressive in nature- more reading here:

    Technical || H&R Special Springs, LP

    this is nothing new and most race teams spend a fair amount of effort into getting the stops right

    this site offers two pages of different stops w/ dyno graphs!

    Bump Stops, RE Suspension Inc.- Racing Shocks and Suspension

    I'm going to visit w/ these fellas as they appear to be geared to Solo competition (albeit Miata's)

    Fat Cat Motorsports - High-performance bump stops - all makes and models

    I'm going to see if I can send in two stops and have them dyno them and then possibly go from there
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •