Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 16
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; had strut top on the brain why were you thinking about hookers and blow? :lol:...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    had strut top on the brain

why were you thinking about hookers and blow? :lol:
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    why were you thinking about hookers and blow? :lol:
    You mean you don't?
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Your last 'Project Wagon' thread was incredibly helpful for a new wagon owner. Definitely subscribing to this one.

Cheers mate :]

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    You mean you don't?
    well no I didn't mean that

I Support ClubWRX
    got some measurements taken

ride heights are 385/375mm f/r (measuring from the center of the wheel to the wheel arch), jacking the car up till the dampers are at full droop, I then measured the same thing 468/450 f/r

subtracting give me total droop travel front 83mm, rear 75mm

the total stroke of the front strut was 169mm, rear shock 160mm

subtracting the droop travel from the total travel gives us the bump travel front 86mm, rear 85mm

at stock ride height they have the travel pretty close to split between bump and droop- you start lowering and then you add to droop and take away from bump

in the front w/ 83mm of bump travel and a 60mm stop- you have ~ 1" before engaging the stop, in the rear 85mm of bump travel and a 78mm stop- less than a 1/2" before engaging the stop

[QUOTE=AgentH;2399273]Did you have to sign a confidentiality agreement

Are you going to request less high speed dampening in for a slightly more civalized feel when going over highway seems and whatnot at high speed? That's pretty much my only beef w/the 02-07 WRX koni's. Even on the full soft setting, they tend not to react fast enough when going over small imperfections in the road.... yet have the other qualities of the stock struts (absorb bigger bumps w/finess).

QUOTE]

To me it sounds like you're describing the compression damping but the adjustemnt on teh Konis are rebound only, not sure if you knew that. And yes, I also were not impressed by the high-speed compression damping. And now I'm looking at options for my M3 and lot of people use Konis, full struts, no inserts thank goodness (but still priced very good), but not sure if they still have lot of high-speed damping.

I Support ClubWRX
    there is a very minor adj of compression as you adj rebound, buts it's very minor

they chose to dial in a fair amount of high speed compression which does effect daily driving- not a lot however

I have to say it's not overly noticeable, just an occasional bump/crack/seam that is just "right" and you'll get a little jolt

not sure if this crosses all makes/models or unique to the WRX dampers- visit w/ one of the Koni tech folks- I'm sure they can give you an idea

In regard to the rear travel, I guess given the dimensions of the damper it's not surprising, but it is rather disappointing with how little travel the rear suspension of the new platform offers.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    it's the reason the WRC cars stuck to Mac P front and rear even on the "new" car

but for a road going car not sure how much of a detriment it is- my guess is that it offers more travel than many road going cars that share a "double wishbone" in the rear. the DW sees a lot less camber (and toe) change than a Mac P does- so it has advantages- my guess is it shed a few lbs too

I think the fact that the ICY/Phoenix team is did so well in the Grand Am series is testament to the potential (the Legacy shares almost identical rear suspension) the setup has. They use the stock suspension setup (sans dampers/springs/tops/sways)- no changing of pickup points, etc

for rally-x the previous gen would appear to be a better platform

Big Sky, first I gotta say I love your wagon writeups. I've learned all I ever needed about mine without ever needing ask a question, just by reading your stuff. I don't wanna be the noob to tell you that you're wrong, but I think the calc for the bump travel is a little off.

Typically the strut will not stroke the full amount as the wheel can travel. The center of the wheel is further from the pivot location of the A-arm(s) than the attachment point of the strut. So lets pretend the wheel center is 12" from the pivot and the strut attachment is 8" from the pivot. With a little geometry we can figure out that the wheel travel will be 33% more than the strut stroke (if the strut is the limiting factor). So I am thinking that the bump travel might be a bit more than what you calculated.

I Support ClubWRX
    your right I haven't figured in the MotionRatio to the equation

the front MR is going to be very, very close (if not identical) to the previous gen which is commonly agreed upon as .96

the rear MR (shock/double wishbone) of the 08/09 is going to be less than the front (a Mac P)- I haven't had a chance to calculate it by I know it will be less than .96, w/ that said the bump travel would be even less than I have posted

the equation I've used is

bump travel= damper stroke- (full droop-ride height) x MR

to measure bump travel at the wheels you could probably do something like (would have to remove the spring/disconnect the sway bar) start at full droop, jack the wheel up exactly 1" and see how far the damper moved, jack it up another inch re-measure, doing that through the entire range- up to and including full bump- this should give you a ratio of the wheel travel/damper travel

I figured there was a term for it. I wasn't picturing in my head as being that close, but a bigger ratio probably makes for better damping characteristics.

In the middle of a corn field somewhere in Illinois
    A cbe will have little effect on the way the car runs on Cobb stage 1, though you might pick up a few more ponies.
    OBP 2005 Wrx - Big 16g

I Support ClubWRX
    I saw they had released the AP- that was good to see

their stage 1 map is made to work w/ either the stock exhaust or a cbe

If I wasn't going to run D Stock next season, I'd almost certainly have a AP

I see they have a map that is just for fuel savings- that would be handy for long road trips

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I see they have a map that is just for fuel savings- that would be handy for long road trips
    Cobb maps still run rich and (at least in the past) the fuel economy map has been no exception. I don't know that the map would offer any benefits that just laying off the throttle could provide.
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Dark grey metallic sedan
    No mods.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.