Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 15
Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi and welcome aboard! I liked the fact that the SPT exhaust was 9 (I think you can still find ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hi and welcome aboard!

I liked the fact that the SPT exhaust was $349 (I think you can still find some discounted ones if you dig around). I went w/ Cobb though because I believe it will be a little louder- the SPT is quiet, too quiet for my likes. Don't get me wrong I don't like loud, but the Cobb exhausts have a reputation of being like Goldilocks- just right I think the Cobb unit is more open as well, likely to net a few extra ponies. The welds/finish on the Cobb is pretty impressive, I've had a lot of high end exhausts in the past and I'd have to say the Cobb is right at the top in that category- hopefully fit is as well

Don't have the Cosworth filter installed yet, my guess any gains will be small, but even small gains will be welcome.

I'm hoping for some dyno time in the near future- I want to get a base run or two and then put the exhaust/filter on and get a couple more- not expecting miracles from a cat-back and a panel filter, but would guess a small bump up (SPT reported a ~10hp gain w/ there catback)
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good to know. I'll likely be going with the Cobb, but I think I'll wait to see what happens at your dyno session(s) anyway.

ps-I copied you and got the OSRAM Night Breakers-they're wonderfully bright and clean! I often find myself comparing how they light the road when I pull up next to xenon-wielding vehicles...so far, I've found the bulbs stock up rather nicely.

Thanks for the response-looking forward to the dyno runs!

I Support ClubWRX
    I've been impressed w/ the lighting as well. I drove to the grocery store the other night and pulled up to a big wall and got to see how crisp and clean the cutoff was on my low beams- I'll have to try and snap a pic

Hey big sky, i just ordered the Osram night breakers for my 07 (they are H7 bulbs rather than H11) for low beam.

Now i want to get the TOSHIBA HIR 9011 for my high beams, but what exactly do you have to file in order to make it fit in the 9005 socket?

I also hear the bulb life span is short...hmm you hear anything about that?
    Last edited by Slider; 12-11-2008 at 08:21 PM.
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

I Support ClubWRX
    very easy

this should help

HIR bulb base modification

Thanks Big Sky, i appreciate it, too bad Candlepower is sold out until the end of Dec.
    Semper Fi

Military Militia #11

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    little update on the Koni development- after visiting w/ Lee who visited w/ the Holland folks- they do want to do a 08/09 WRX setup, but want to utilize a full strut up front (not an insert). this is nice, but Lee said it could be a year or more out that route

He has agreed to work w/ me and develop a front insert/rear shock- thinking w/ the vast components they already have on hand they should be able to come up w/ something w/o too much difficulty. I'll be sending them a front strut and rear shock for development. My hope is to have something up and running prior to Spring- fingers crossed
    Did you have to sign a confidentiality agreement

Are you going to request less high speed dampening in for a slightly more civalized feel when going over highway seems and whatnot at high speed? That's pretty much my only beef w/the 02-07 WRX koni's. Even on the full soft setting, they tend not to react fast enough when going over small imperfections in the road.... yet have the other qualities of the stock struts (absorb bigger bumps w/finess).

I went w/ Cobb though because I believe it will be a little louder- the SPT is quiet, too quiet for my likes. Don't get me wrong I don't like loud, but the Cobb exhausts have a reputation of being like Goldilocks-
    I have a Cobb TBE on my 02' and like it a lot. At the couple meets that I went to, I certainly had the quietest of the group though. The STi's and 06+ WRX's seem to be louder when allowed to breath. That could be just me though... I'm think I'm glad I'm relatively quiet though for those times when you just want to listen to your music or not draw (too) much attention from those in and out of your car.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

subscribed.....

Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    Did you have to sign a confidentiality agreement

Are you going to request less high speed dampening in for a slightly more civalized feel when going over highway seems and whatnot at high speed? That's pretty much my only beef w/the 02-07 WRX koni's. Even on the full soft setting, they tend not to react fast enough when going over small imperfections in the road.... yet have the other qualities of the stock struts (absorb bigger bumps w/finess).

I have a Cobb TBE on my 02' and like it a lot. At the couple meets that I went to, I certainly had the quietest of the group though. The STi's and 06+ WRX's seem to be louder when allowed to breath. That could be just me though... I'm think I'm glad I'm relatively quiet though for those times when you just want to listen to your music or not draw (too) much attention from those in and out of your car.

my Prodrive is like that, it sounds really good when i get to 3200rpms and beastly above that, but when im cruising listening to music its perfect..

/end thread jack

All Cobbs stuff is quality, im very impressed with them. And they keep updating the firmware on the APs which is nice.
    Semper Fi

Military Militia #11

subscribed

I Support ClubWRX
    no confidentiality clause

I've talked to Lee about my thoughts on damping and I agree that a little less high speed compression would be nice for daily driving- it's not bad really- just reminds you occasionally that your not driving a cadillac The first hurdle is going to be coming up w/ a good fitment- strut and shock both. There is a better than fair chance that the LGT fitment they already offer might do the trick. If that is true I'll get dyno plots and compare them w/ the current Impreza graphs- it's possible they could be the same.

^ I had a Prodrive muffler and was very pleased w/ the sound, hoping the Cobb is in that ballpark. The SPT I got to hear in person and it was quieter yet, better than stock, but not quite "Goldilocks"

I Support ClubWRX
    got the shocks today

you can see it's very different than the front struts (well yeah it's a shock ), springs are VERY linear in nature, the top is very different looking- it also doesn't have a bearing in it- simply a hole drilled

total stroke is 160mm (the front struts were 169mm)

bump stops are 78mm in length (fronts were 60mm)

by comparison the previous gen WRX had 200mm total stroke in the rear

armed w/ this I'll determine how much is over the stroke is droop and how much is bump (will do that this weekend)- I'll also get a shock and strut boxed up and ready to send to Koni

pic

Mike, that is awesome on working with Koni! I do think however, that it makes perfect sense for Koni to do a full strut for the front and not an insert. If they make a full rear shock anyway then they are simply a "bolt in" and not an "install". I think they'll make full struts only.

Get them drawings from KYB, and lay the guts of the 8611 into it.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think Koni will come out w/ a full strut- eventually. That's the way Koni Holland is leaning- I think it may need to be a full strut for TUV- not sure on that. However Koni NA said that will be a looooong way off, the hope is that they have some existing bits that get us a insert/shock in the mean time.

There is one guy that successfully (evidently anyways) that used the LGT strut/shock combo on his 08 WRX. He said the front strut was perfect fitment in his opinion. The rear shock said it fit- except that the rear top had to be drilled out as the shock shaft is larger in diameter. I for someone assumed that the rear top had a bearing in and thought that might not be the best idea. After looking at the rear top is no biggie if the hole needs to be re-drilled. Also I think he had to replace the shock eye bushing as it was different as well- again no biggie.

We'll see

Why did you think the rear top had a bearing in it?
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.