Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 11
Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; swapped in the "sport" grill for the oe one before shot (yup it's dirty ) after kind of a pain ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Sport Grill

swapped in the "sport" grill for the oe one

before shot (yup it's dirty )

after

kind of a pain in the ass to install as the bumper cover has to come off- albeit the 09 bumper cover is less work to get off than the 04 (and 02)
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Both look good Mike, but I think I actually like the stock '09 WRX grill better than the "sport" one. Just my opinion.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    much improved over the chrome they had on the 08, but still like the body color sport grill

I was going to swap over the WRX emblem- but they use those once on till death fasteners like they do on the shift boot- so I'll get another

Looks real nice! I would recommend getting the Grillcraft pieces for the scoop and lower valence. I just put them on and they look awesome with the sport grille. Not to badly priced either. I got a thread on here showing pictures of the install.

heres a link: New Parts + 2008 WRX= good saturday morning

With the grill swap, now it looks like it's smiling.

Without the front ducts to cool the brakes on this new design, how do they get airflow over them? Or were those ducts just for looks really in the first place?
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

I Support ClubWRX
    I might do my own "grillcraft" in the lower portion, fog lamp pieces too

The old ducts did direct some air towards the brakes, certainly better than nothing

the 09 will be easy- I have ducts that will fit the fog opening- short length of ducting, hole saw to the fender well- viola

that's basically what I did w/ my 02 and 04 as well

Why no fogs??? Was that part of the premium option or something? ... either way, I'm sure an 09 w/o fogs is better than an 02 w/fogs
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

For a white car, I think the original (STi-style) grill, blacked out, looks the best. A red pinstripe looks great too, like the photo on page 3 of this thread. The sport grill looks great too. It's just personal preference.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    Why no fogs??? Was that part of the premium option or something? ... either way, I'm sure an 09 w/o fogs is better than an 02 w/fogs
    They were an option, I elected not to get them- can add them later if I get the urge- the wiring is already there

I had fogs on my 02 and 04 and found they were out more than they were in

Pinstriping

Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    For a white car, I think the original (STi-style) grill, blacked out, looks the best. A red pinstripe looks great too, like the photo on page 3 of this thread. The sport grill looks great too. It's just personal preference.
    I agree about the red pinstripe. I think it looks great. I want one. Where do you get something like that?

Hmm... I think it looks better with the STI grille. Having the sport grille made it look a bit too plain on the front end; lost some of its attitude a bit. But, yup, it is still better than that of the 08's OEM chrome grille.
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 11-02-2008 at 11:03 PM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    They were an option, I elected not to get them- can add them later if I get the urge- the wiring is already there

I had fogs on my 02 and 04 and found they were out more than they were in

Good to know the wiring is there, I didnt get them either. When one went out in my 2005 I never changed it, so I figured there was no point in getting them since that was probably going to happen again in my 09.

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah I got to get up close and personal w/ the front of my 09 this weekend, found all kinds of things

one thing I noticed is the 09 has a lot more ground wires than either the 02 or 04- I wonder if they (FHI) took a play out of the "modders" handbook??????

Big Sky...I am envious of your resources! How do you get so many parts so quickly?!? You must be an engineer or doctor or something. )~ Very much looking forward to the results of your mods (I am years away from that).

The sport grille..I didn't know whether to do the stock 09 wrx (STi style) or sport grille either. I ended up doing the sport, looks good on black. I think for all colors the sport is better on the WRX. Look at the lines/curves on the hood, flows much better with the sport grille as if that was the original design. Plus, I think the stock 09 grill kinda looks cheaper because it's all plastic looking. Although I'd be interested in seeing one all blacked out.

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah I didn't like the Chryler-esque wing on the grill and didn't care for the large Subaru badge- clearly better than the chrome version, but not as good as the sport grill- obviously other folks think just the opposite