Sti goes back to sedan for 2010 - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Sti goes back to sedan for 2010 within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I don't like the hatch mostly because the rear wing on it is oversized and gaudy. And you don't want ...

I don't like the hatch mostly because the rear wing on it is oversized and gaudy.

And you don't want an AWD Auto Slushbox. Subaru's runs the automatic with a 80/20 front/rear power split by default (last I heard, maybe in more recent versions they changed it), so it's really just a front wheel drive. PLUS, the autobox is so damned expensive, that if it breaks out of warranty, you might as well part the car out or just sell it to a junk yard for $100.

In the future there probably won't be autos in the current sense, for low torque applications it will be CVT, for high torque it will probably be a manual with the auto-clutch/shift deely.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jjwink View Post
    I don't like the hatch mostly because the rear wing on it is oversized and gaudy.

And you don't want an AWD Auto Slushbox. Subaru's runs the automatic with a 80/20 front/rear power split by default (last I heard, maybe in more recent versions they changed it), so it's really just a front wheel drive. PLUS, the autobox is so damned expensive, that if it breaks out of warranty, you might as well part the car out or just sell it to a junk yard for $100.

In the future there probably won't be autos in the current sense, for low torque applications it will be CVT, for high torque it will probably be a manual with the auto-clutch/shift deely.
    you may think the sti/09 wrx wing is gaudy, but what about the previous gen sti wing is just plain stupid looking.

Park bench anyone?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bp_968 View Post
    I think your only partly correct. While me or you might not even consider a STI with a normal "slushbox" auto in it there are plenty of people who would, especially in the US. I would love a decent auto tranny from subaru so I could buy my wife a subaru, and I'd love a DCT for the STI which I would buy for *me*. I know some people are really hung up on the clutch but the DCT shifts *so* much faster its not even comparable, and its so much nicer in traffic. I want a manual so I can hold rev's through a corner, so I can choose which gear to enter and exit in. I don't want a manual because stomping a clutch is "fun". The DCT is also smoother shifting (no matter how good you are at a manual) and clocks in 10% better gas mileage numbers. (imagine, 20/26 or 20/27 numbers on a STI lol). If subaru comes out with one and it can be retro fit into a 2006 STI (fav bodystyle) be on the lookout for a lightly used 6MT forsale

If you still disagree that people will buy auto's in performance cars look at the sales of auto Porsches and Corvettes. Porsche actually started selling their TURBO in an auto years ago (makes you want to cry doesn't it?). Now they are all offered with a DCT which is much better choice for a performance car then a slushbox.
    I honestly agree that sadly an auto powered STi would sell. I personally owned an 08 GTI with the auto/man tranny I forget what crap they call it but that car is much much easier, better to drive in the 6MT version in my personal opinion. I couldnt imagine driving my modded WRX or STi with that same style trans, it would not work for me. Also having owned an automatic Subaru, the 4EATs are not terrible transmissions..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Back to origional post...

Car and Driver said that there is no change for the STi in 2010

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidr1 View Post
    you may think the sti/09 wrx wing is gaudy, but what about the previous gen sti wing is just plain stupid looking.

Park bench anyone?
    Being an OG and all, this may surprise people... but it's grown on me since the release of the MY04 USDM STi in 2003. It's now a part of the personality of an STi/STI for me. Granted, it's not terribly functional in daily use, but if I purchased an older STI I wouldn't remove it.

A clean wingless STI also looks good if done right.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Being an OG and all, this may surprise people... but it's grown on me since the release of the MY04 USDM STi in 2003. It's now a part of the personality of an STi/STI for me. Granted, it's not terribly functional in daily use, but if I purchased an older STI I wouldn't remove it.

A clean wingless STI also looks good if done right.
    +1 I feel the same about it. Not generally my taste, but the handle on the back seems to fit the cars lines nicely. On another note, has anyone seen any particular nice body kits for the 09 hatch or sedan? More so the sedan, just wondering if they got anything out there to give it a more aggressive look than it has at the moment

The MS3 and CobaltSS, both have compression near 9.5/1 and use direct injection. They have almost sti power. I wonder if Subaru could make those changes and would affect low end torque?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwink View Post
    The MS3 and CobaltSS, both have compression near 9.5/1 and use direct injection. They have almost sti power. I wonder if Subaru could make those changes and would affect low end torque?
    The MS3 makes 263 for 2010, I believe. That's actually more like WRX power, isn't it? The 2009 STI makes over 300. Unless I'm missing the point of what you're saying. There's certainly precedent for that.

I'm all for Subaru moving forward with their tech, though..good power and better mileage would be welcome.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm all for Subaru moving forward with their tech, though..good power and better mileage would be welcome.
    says the guy with 2.5T shortblock and 18G Turbo
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I was looking more specifically at low end torque. The other two engines I believe are smaller displacement, but put out more torque and at lower RPM (not that I would buy a Mazda or a GM, but I am curious what the mechanical difference is that is causing it. I'm wondering how much Direct Injection plays into it, also why the compression numbers are so different, unless the WRX turbo is that much bigger that overcompression would cause issues.

2009 MS3 280@3000
    2009 CobaltSS 260@2000
    2009 WRX 244@4000
    2009 STI 290@4000
    Last edited by jjwink; 08-09-2009 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Added STI for comparison purposes

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    says the guy with 2.5T shortblock and 18G Turbo
    Point taken.

And the previous poster may have a point about the low end torque; I'm not enough in the know to know how much the DI helps that. I like low end torque as well..though I suppose I wouldn't have gone to an 18G if it was all I wanted.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Subaru Announces Pricing On New 2010 Impreza

I tried to open a new thread with this but the site is messed up and I couldn't.

Jul 29, 2009
    Subaru Announces Pricing On New 2010 Impreza
    Record-breaking model prices largely unchanged for 2010

Subaru Announces Pricing On New 2010 Impreza - Jul 29, 2009

I didn't find this myself, I think I saw it on NASIOC.

The MS3 makes 263 for 2010, I believe. That's actually more like WRX power, isn't it?
    Hi Ray; yes but the MS3 also makes 280 lbs./ft. Because it does not have to suffer the AWD drive-train loss, the hp/torque at the wheels is probably significantly above the WRX, although possibly not quite STi levels it may be close. Especially considering what some stock STi's have dyno'd at in recent years with their stock tunes...
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    Hi Ray; yes but the MS3 also makes 280 lbs./ft. Because it does not have to suffer the AWD drive-train loss, the hp/torque at the wheels is probably significantly above the WRX, although possibly not quite STi levels it may be close. Especially considering what some stock STi's have dyno'd at in recent years with their stock tunes...
    A reasonable point. Back to the same old debate, I suppose... do you want to jump off the line like a jackrabbit, or have great pull once up to speed..?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345