GAS - High Octane Truth or Myth? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on GAS - High Octane Truth or Myth? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zore Doesn't mean it's on it's death throws either You may have missed my post above as ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zore View Post
    Doesn't mean it's on it's death throws either
    You may have missed my post above as I took too long to write it - have a look.

I am actually not in for an argument, just trying to look out for your interests. Do you have a boost gauge? Either way I'd recommend that you run the vacuum line from your compressor housing directly to your wastegate actuator if you want to keep running low reg. - it will keep you from ever boosting over ~8psi.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    You may have missed my post above as I took too long to write it - have a look.

I am actually not in for an argument, just trying to look out for your interests. Do you have a boost gauge? Either way I'd recommend that you run the vacuum line from your compressor housing directly to your wastegate actuator if you want to keep running low reg. - it will keep you from ever boosting over ~8psi.

Boost gauge is the only mod i've done to the car. And thanks for the info. It's nice when people can post information with out being insulting. I appreciate it. I do run super in the car, just not generally when I'm commuting.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Boost gauge is the only mod i've done to the car. And thanks for the info. It's nice when people can post information with out being insulting. I appreciate it.
    No problem - if you keep doing this let us know how it goes. We'll try to keep you from getting completely roasted when you do.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    You'd have to purchase a tactrix cable to do any of this logging
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Where would you like me to pull these data logs from and with what? As far as I can tell, the high mileage is really all I need.
    I am very curious on the condition of your engine. Where are you located? I sure people here would be glad to take 5 mins out of their day to pull some data off your ECU.
    I'm in SoCal, by the way. Vag-com style Tactrix cable ready to read your ECU man.

I just think of it like this...Subaru service departments will tell you that the water pump isn't known for failures. But would you replace it while you are getting the timing belt done? Yes...because why spend $700+ to basically have a timing belt service done AGAIN if it does fail?

What happens if you end up grenading your engine cause if finally couldn't handle one more knock situation? Was saving those $3 and $4 during each fill-up worth it then at that point when you now have to drop $4000 to have a new short block put in?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

would running anything over regular 87 be sufficient? All we have here is 89 and 91 other then regular.

Id also like to point out that in the second post on this thread the member said they put in octane booster to cure any issues when having to use regular. Dumping in a bottle of 104 octane booster will not raise your actual octane level more then maybe .5 of a point. Maybe enough to prevent further knocking but there is a big misconception about octane booster and how much it actually raises your octane level
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

I'm fairly certain, without looking, that the octane recommendation is 91. 89 would still have the ecu compensating for knock.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

inside of my cap says PREMIUM FUEL ONLY but does not specify what grade they consider to be premium fuel

I believe when I glanced through the manual it said 91, but I may be wrong.
    - Will

I'll have to look in mine. My salesman also said I could get away with 89 in the winter months but should use 91 in the warmer summer months. I just wish they still had 93 up here.

I Support ClubWRX
    91 is premium in the US because 93 is entirely unavailable in several large population centers. You will be fine with 91.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    I'll have to look in mine. My salesman also said I could get away with 89 in the winter months but should use 91 in the warmer summer months. I just wish they still had 93 up here.
    Hmm...from what I know about what octane rating is and how it impacts an IC engine, I don't understand why the ambient temp would have any impact.
    - Will

just about every place except Maine has 93 in the north east. I can drive 30 mins across the boarder to NH and find it everywhere. It switched from 93 to 91 after the first gas spike of $4 gas. Ive been hearing rumors of a few stations that have started to carry 93 again but I have yet to see it

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Hmm...from what I know about what octane rating is and how it impacts an IC engine, I don't understand why the ambient temp would have any impact.
    Actually, I've read that somewhere too, a few years back. The higher the ambient temp the more voitile gas becomes since something about fire just being heat and higher ambient=lower heat necessary to ignite.
    Again, something I read years ago.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast