GAS - High Octane Truth or Myth? - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 98

This is a discussion on GAS - High Octane Truth or Myth? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It's not that I'm set in my ways, but I can use a little common sense to come to a ...

  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47
    It's not that I'm set in my ways, but I can use a little common sense to come to a conclusion rather than regurgitation debatable information like a sheep. Again, 127k on it and still going strong. I'll take actual experience over something someone says on the internet.

    I'm really curious as to what some of you commute a day? I think it makes a huge difference on the frame of mind and how you drive.
    Last edited by zore; 03-30-2012 at 03:13 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #62
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,815
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zore View Post
    I'll take actual experience over something someone says on the internet..
    a little hypocritical don't you think?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  4. #63
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,886
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zore View Post
    ... {Comments about sheep and such...}
    Do you have the log data from your car running lower octane than recommended?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  5. #64
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    21,153
    Just because you don't go WOT down the highway doesn't mean you don't create boost...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

  6. #65
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,287
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zore View Post
    I think there's a ton of fear mongering on many of these forums and honestly, rarely any fact to back it up. Would I run regular doing an auto x, drag racing or some other track day activity? Absolutely not. The engineering recommendation are often made in a worst case scenario for people who don't know octane from viscosity. I just think pissing away high octane gas to drone down the highway doing 75 is pointless. I use super when it's required.
    Nobody here is fear-mongering, and there are plenty of facts to back up what we are saying. That is a straw man.

    If you are honestly staying completely out of boost 100% of the time, then you are probably correct. I didn't read that as a possibility as I never heard of it before. So you never ever encounter a situation where you need more than vacuum pressure to get out into traffic safely? You can't ever foresee needing more than .25 on the peddle? I'm more than double 20 and I rarely go a full day without full boost, and there are no straight roads here. I do hope this works out for you, and I still recommend against it. The recommendation from subaru is very clear - only run that crap in an emergency. How do you get it all out before you autocross or take a spirited drive in the twisties?

    These are facts:
    RomRaider • View topic - Subaru's knock control strategy explained

    These are facts:
    Engine Basics: Detonation and Pre-Ignition
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  7. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    a little hypocritical don't you think?
    I'm not sure how? Did i ever say that running super was a bad idea? Did I say you shouldn't run super because it's a waste of money? Nope. For "ME" it doesn't make sense because of huge amount of mileage I put on the car and how I drive. It makes sense for "ME". If i had a short commute, and put less mileage on my car, I'd have ignored this thread.

    So please explain how i'm being hypocritical or do you now know exactly what it means? I mean if you are going to use big words and insult people, at least know what you're saying.

  8. #67
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,815
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zore View Post
    I'm not sure how? Did i ever say that running super was a bad idea? Did I say you shouldn't run super because it's a waste of money? Nope. For "ME" it doesn't make sense because of huge amount of mileage I put on the car and how I drive. It makes sense for "ME". If i had a short commute, and put less mileage on my car, I'd have ignored this thread.

    So please explain how i'm being hypocritical or do you now know exactly what it means? I mean if you are going to use big words and insult people, at least know what you're saying.
    I am not here to argue with you.If what you said is just for you I suggest you keep it to yourself instead of enlightening us with your "expertise".

    I do not care what happens to your car.I am afraid someone will take your word literally & destroy their car.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  9. #68
    The Member michaelwfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North GA
    Posts
    3,542
    I Support ClubWRX
    Is $3-$4 more a fill-up really worth all this fuss?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

    My "Build" Thread!

    2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

  10. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Is $3-$4 more a fill-up really worth all this fuss?
    If I filled up once a week? Nope.

  11. #70
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,638
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zore View Post
    So when you accelerate, you full throttle it everywhere you go? So I should buy another car because you don't agree with how I drive it? Typical. I'm not hard headed, I've just got 128k on a car that says you may not know what your talking about. We'll say 3 bucks savings every 12 gallons, that's 20 miles you drive for free. Commute 130 miles a day and tell me you wouldn't like an extra 20miles per tank full. On top of that, I'm not sure what mileage you are getting with yours, but as I stated before, I get 25 in the winter due to the winter blend and 26 to 29 in the summer. I think that's decent.

    The argument is silly, because until I come back with 200-300k miles on the car, it wont matter.


    PS... I change my oil every 5-7k.
    The argument IS silly, because you don't have any logs, or any data regarding your DAM, or your FKL, or a Learning View, etc... Just because something is working, doesn't mean it's healthy.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  12. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I am not here to argue with you.If what you said is just for you I suggest you keep it to yourself instead of enlightening us with your "expertise".

    I do not care what happens to your car.I am afraid someone will take your word literally & destroy their car.
    I'm sorry, what was the topic of the thread? I was simply throwing in my experience on the subject which I thought was the idea of these forums.

  13. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    The argument IS silly, because you don't have any logs, or any data regarding your DAM, or your FKL, or a Learning View, etc... Just because something is working, doesn't mean it's healthy.
    Doesn't mean it's on it's death throws either

  14. #73
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,815
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zore View Post
    I'm sorry, what was the topic of the thread? I was simply throwing in my experience on the subject which I thought was the idea of these forums.
    Please post datalogs to prove said experience.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  15. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Nobody here is fear-mongering, and there are plenty of facts to back up what we are saying. That is a straw man.

    If you are honestly staying completely out of boost 100% of the time, then you are probably correct. I didn't read that as a possibility as I never heard of it before. So you never ever encounter a situation where you need more than vacuum pressure to get out into traffic safely? You can't ever foresee needing more than .25 on the peddle? I'm more than double 20 and I rarely go a full day without full boost, and there are no straight roads here. I do hope this works out for you, and I still recommend against it. The recommendation from subaru is very clear - only run that crap in an emergency. How do you get it all out before you autocross or take a spirited drive in the twisties?

    These are facts:
    RomRaider View topic - Subaru's knock control strategy explained

    These are facts:
    Engine Basics: Detonation and Pre-Ignition
    Fair enough. I do create boost but I do pay attention to the gauge. I'm not arguing any of the information presented here. I'm just saying, I have a lot of miles on my care driving it the way i'm driving it. I think the argument is more to the tune of lost performance than actual engine damage. And thanks for the links and I have read the RomRaider link and thought it was informative.

  16. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47
    Where would you like me to pull these data logs from and with what? As far as I can tell, the high mileage is really all I need.

    Seriously people, if you don't want to hear opposing views or experiences on a topic, why create them? I mean if someone doesn't' agree with you, you tell them to buy a different car? Common people. I think I've upped my post count enough today. I'll recheck this thread in a year with how things are going. Have a good night.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •