GAS - High Octane Truth or Myth? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on GAS - High Octane Truth or Myth? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX So, to summarize, run the gas for which the car was engineered. Yeah. I've always run ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    So, to summarize, run the gas for which the car was engineered.
    Yeah. I've always run the lowest octane I can while retaining performance. They recommend super so I put super in it if I'm going to go have some fun.

However, I also commute 140 miles a day so I will use regular know that I need to keep my foot off it and take it easy.

On the other hand, running super in something that runs just fine on regular with stock tune, is rather a waste.

As far as fuel mileage goes, It's around 26 to 27 regardless of what i put in it. I generally don't beat on my car regardless of what fuel I put in it since I do try to get better mileage.
    Last edited by zore; 03-31-2009 at 09:14 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    What about a car that says to use regular but then you reflash the computer and the tune says you need to run 91....will higher octane fuel hurt a car that isn't supposed to use the higher rating? Even though the tune says now you need to run 91...?
    No it will not hurt. Octane means knock resistance, this is always good within reason. Just some cars won't be able to take advantage of it. For custom maps always use the octane specified or higher.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by zore View Post
    However, I also commute 140 miles a day so I will use regular know that I need to keep my foot off it and take it easy.
    Um... didn't you just get your WRX? I don't think you are doing it or yourself any favours by running regular. If you had planned to "keep your foot off it" all the time you could have bought an NA Impreza.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    Um... didn't you just get your WRX? I don't think you are doing it or yourself any favours by running regular. If you had planned to "keep your foot off it" all the time you could have bought an NA Impreza.
    it's called self-control.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Wrinklechops
    Anyone try mixing in a few gallons of E85 with a tank fillup by chance?

I found this Octane Calculator:

Octane Calculator - www.bazellracefuels.com

And assumed that with E85 being about 105oct when blended with gasoline, it seems you could dash in about 3 gallons of E85 with a fillup (and E85 is cheaper!) and turn 91oct (here in CO) into 93.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    Since public roads are not a race course and not every red light is a drag strip starting line, i figured why not save a few bucks when I commute and run super on weekends when I'm feeling froggy. Some of us actually use our cars for transportation.

That aside, I have been keeping track of mileage with using super and regular. 2 weeks using super, 2 weeks using regular and I've found no measurable difference between the 2. I've tried to keep the driving styles the same and keep cruise control at about 75 mph going down the high way. I have hit a low of 26.5mpg and a high of 28.

Wrinklechops
    Since public roads are not a race course and not every red light is a drag strip starting line, i figured why not save a few bucks when I commute and run super on weekends when I'm feeling froggy. Some of us actually use our cars for transportation.

That aside, I have been keeping track of mileage with using super and regular. 2 weeks using super, 2 weeks using regular and I've found no measurable difference between the 2. I've tried to keep the driving styles the same and keep cruise control at about 75 mph going down the high way. I have hit a low of 26.5mpg and a high of 28.

Why did you buy a WRX? Why not just regular NA Impreza? Or if you "use your car for transportation", why not just a Civic or something if you're all concerned about gas mileage. Do you buy a Porsche, Corvette, or BMW and put 85 or 87 octane in it? No. Same thing with the WRX. Yea, it's not a rich luxury car, but it still says RIGHT ON THE GAS CAP: USE PREMIUM FUEL ONLY

Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    Why did you buy a WRX? Why not just regular NA Impreza? Or if you "use your car for transportation", why not just a Civic or something if you're all concerned about gas mileage. Do you buy a Porsche, Corvette, or BMW and put 85 or 87 octane in it? No. Same thing with the WRX. Yea, it's not a rich luxury car, but it still says RIGHT ON THE GAS CAP: USE PREMIUM FUEL ONLY
    Because I can? Page 7-2. "If premium unleaded gasoline is not available, regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI or higher may be temporarily used. "

You drive the way you want to drive and put in any gas you want. It's your car.

Wrinklechops
    Because I can? Page 7-2. "If premium unleaded gasoline is not available, regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI or higher may be temporarily used. "

You drive the way you want to drive and put in any gas you want. It's your car.
    To each his own, I guess. I always use the highest grade and quality fuels and oils and filters in my car because I care about it. But that's just me. I also don't drive like a Grandma, so I guess I have to keep an eye on it. But then again, who drives a WRX like a Grandma? Not many.

To each his own, I guess. I always use the highest grade and quality fuels and oils and filters in my car because I care about it. But that's just me. I also don't drive like a Grandma, so I guess I have to keep an eye on it. But then again, who drives a WRX like a Grandma? Not many.
    I have an 09 Rex that DOESN'T require 93 unlike the STI according to the manual. Here in CA all we get is 91. I used Bezell Racing Fuels calculator and add 3 gallons of - get this - 101 Octane racing fuel down in Pasadena to get 93. I figure I'm wasting some money but why take a chance on knocks because I enjoy "spirited" driving at least a couple times per 300 miles that my tank takes me. I would never put less than 91 because the 09 Rex is pushing 265 stock and it must be working that engine pretty damn hard...

That said, I do drive like a grandma when I'm on the highway in the right lane - saving gas and avoiding accidents as best I can on our crazy freeways.

I Support ClubWRX
    But then again, who drives a WRX like a Grandma? Not many.
    I don't know how grandmothers drive, but my guess is that most people simply commute in their WRX. Online fora tend to be microcosms where, among the limited participants, the exceptions become the rule. I think most people don't share our interests or habits.

I'd not use low octane fuel unless it was temporary and unavoidable, in any case.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JMack View Post
    This statement is true in a sense. Commercial Jet engines use a fuel called Jet-A (or AVTUR). It is an Unleaded/paraffin (kerosene) hybrid fuel that is very similar in chemical structure to Diesel fuel.

Military Jet engines use a fuel called JP-8 (Navy uses JP-5) which is ref. in MIL-DTL-83133F. "Description: Kerosene type turbine fuel which will contain a static dissipator additive, corrosion inhibitor/lubricity improver, and fuel system icing inhibitor, and may contain antioxidant and metal deactivator."

Having worked around AVGAS (AV 100), Jet-A, and JP-8; I can tell you firsthand that all three have their own unique properties and dangers. Jet-A and AVGAS (though very different) are fairly stable fuels with a relatively low odor to them. JP-8, when exposed to it for extended periods of time (10+ min) can make you feel nauseated, light-headed, or dizzy. The smell remains with you for quite some time (upwards of a day in some cases) and is very oilly.

/threadjack
    I hate to bring back a dead threadjack, but I want to mention to anyone that for some reason finds this in the future...

AVGAS is anywhere between 100 and 145 octane, and is definitely not "Stable"

I'm an Aircraft Firefighter, and as such have been around AVGAS, Jet-A Jet-B, and JP-4, JP-5, and JP-8.

Each one is different, but they range from extremely stable JP-8, to very unstable AVGAS.

JET-A/JP-5/JP-8 (Kerosene based Jet Fuels), you can take a 50 gallon spill of it, throw a match in it, and it WILL NOT light. The ignition temperature, and the volatility have very safe limits, and as such it takes a catalyst to start the fuel, whether it be a gasoline based fuel, heat, or pressure.

AVGAS on the other hand is extremely unstable, evaporates extremely quickly, a very low ignition temperature, and can be lit at very low temperatures. A simple spark at -40 degrees C can light AVGAS.

JET-B/JP-4 are mixtures of Kerosene based Jet Fuels, and AVGAS. They are used primarily for cold weather flights because the AVGAS lowers the ignition temperature (flash point) of the kerosene based fuel into reasonable limits.

/end threadjack

On a side note, 100 and 145 octane AVGAS is still gasoline, and can be used in your catalytic converter free car. 100 is low lead, but still has lead, and 145 has a high lead content.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    You can also add a couple of gallons of toluene or xylene from the local paint store to boost octane.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

What can I say? Here in Norway, you can choose between Normal/95 oct, or Super/V-power/Etc./99 oct. Does it mean, mine normal would be "Premium" anywhere else?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogface View Post
    What can I say? Here in Norway, you can choose between Normal/95 oct, or Super/V-power/Etc./99 oct. Does it mean, mine normal would be "Premium" anywhere else?
    No, because the assay standards are different. Your premium is their premium, your normal is their normal.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast