average life of wrx turbo?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on average life of wrx turbo? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was looking to get a 05 wrx...actually going to go check one out tomorrow, but when I told my ...

average life of wrx turbo?

I was looking to get a 05 wrx...actually going to go check one out tomorrow, but when I told my friend about it, he was quite hesitant...well here's how the convo went.

ME: so, i'm thinking about getting an WRX now since my dad can't pay for insurance for the rsx-s. what do you think?
    HIM: so you know how to swap turbo?
    ME: why would i swap the turtbo
    HIM: because the turbo's average life is 60,000 mi
    ME: i see
    HIM: it's a pain in the ass
    HIM: plus you won't get good gas mileage
    ME: on a wrx?
    ME: it says 24mpg in city and 30mpg on highway
    HIM: right...

The car I'm looking at tomorrow has 72k miles, and if what he's saying is right, then I should ask the dealer if a new turbo was put in. I'm kind of new to turbo's and non-honda cars, but I hope what he's saying is wrong because I feel like he's putting me under a bus. After checking out WRX's, i'm ready to let go of hondas!
    FREEEEDOMMM!!!!!

2000 FBP Civic SI - stolen/sold
    2005 PSM WRX - current

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    youre friend seems pretty stupid. it sounds like hes pulling info out of his ass... maybe HE wants a wrx and doesnt want to see you get one.. so hes trying to steer you away from it. anyway,

the average life of a turbo is not 60k. it all depends on how you drive, however there are members here who i'm sure have over 100k and arent having any problems.

as far as gas mileage goes, they're not the BEST but they get pretty damn good mileage for the type of car that it is. i fill up once a week and usually get about 270 miles to a tank.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

when is usually the right time to replace the turbo then?
    FREEEEDOMMM!!!!!

2005 PSM WRX - current

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    when you feel like upgrading to a bigger one

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    when you feel like upgrading to a bigger one
    this is true. the turbo will last as long as your good to it. by doing oil changes, coolant changes, letting ur turbo cool down, for a min after you drive. the wrx is cooled by water coolant from your engine, and its lubricated by the oil system in ur car....
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

I have 128k on my car and it has the same turbo on it from when the original owner bought it. I haven't had any problems with it. If you take care of your car it will take care of you.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

Quote Originally Posted by Gel Mibson View Post
    I was looking to get a 05 wrx...actually going to go check one out tomorrow, but when I told my friend about it, he was quite hesitant...well here's how the convo went.

ME: so, i'm thinking about getting an WRX now since my dad can't pay for insurance for the rsx-s. what do you think?
    HIM: so you know how to swap turbo?
    ME: why would i swap the turtbo
    HIM: because the turbo's average life is 60,000 mi
    ME: i see
    HIM: it's a pain in the ass
    HIM: plus you won't get good gas mileage
    ME: on a wrx?
    ME: it says 24mpg in city and 30mpg on highway
    HIM: right...

The car I'm looking at tomorrow has 72k miles, and if what he's saying is right, then I should ask the dealer if a new turbo was put in. I'm kind of new to turbo's and non-honda cars, but I hope what he's saying is wrong because I feel like he's putting me under a bus. After checking out WRX's, i'm ready to let go of hondas!
    Your friend is wrong.

I average 22mpg at worst, and 26mpg at best depending on A/C usage in my WRX. Just filled up today and the math worked out to 24.5mpg.

A WRX is fun to own, but you will need to do research before just making changes. My stock turbo is fine, it's sitting in a box in the garage - I put roughly 50k on it, and have 35k on my present upgraded turbo.

Hit the links in my sig for more info.

Here's my car on the dyno: YouTube - Dyno tune Enginuity Wrx Vf 34 with STI 6-speed Trans w DCCD
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

lol okay i'm new to this as well i'm currently driving a 08 wrx automatic (i know its a waste but i'm sharing it with my dad) anyways how should i drive this car and what should i do to it to keep the engine from over heating or anything because i realize that this car heats up fast

is there any sure-fire way though for when to change it though? Is it distinguishable by ear or when you "feel" it's time?
    FREEEEDOMMM!!!!!

2005 PSM WRX - current

is there any sure-fire way though for when to change it though? Is it distinguishable by ear or when you "feel" it's time?
    squeling of the turbine, grinding of the turbine, or if there is play in the turbine shaft, you will hear the sound coming from the turbo area.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Quote Originally Posted by JainYuan View Post
    lol okay i'm new to this as well i'm currently driving a 08 wrx automatic (i know its a waste but i'm sharing it with my dad) anyways how should i drive this car and what should i do to it to keep the engine from over heating or anything because i realize that this car heats up fast
    If your 08' overheats then take it in and get it fixed under warranty. If over heats its because your driving it to hard.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

I Support ClubWRX
    The turbo is not a routine maintenance item. There is no reason to plan when/if to change it. There is no required replacement interval.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

it doesn't over heat but i dunno if its normal to see the needle always in between c/h? like i dunno if when i reflash the system screwed it up but thats what i seen today after school but i'll wait till tomorrow to approve on that but right now after 2 hours of none drive it still sits at the same point as it was when i turned it off. also i'm shifter at 3 rpm using the sports shift. so if i'm not doing sometihng right tell me

Quote Originally Posted by JainYuan View Post
    it doesn't over heat but i dunno if its normal to see the needle always in between c/h? like i dunno if when i reflash the system screwed it up but thats what i seen today after school but i'll wait till tomorrow to approve on that but right now after 2 hours of none drive it still sits at the same point as it was when i turned it off. also i'm shifter at 3 rpm using the sports shift. so if i'm not doing sometihng right tell me
    ok so wat ur sayn even after you have not drove the car over night the needle still is in the normal operating temp. range. like you dont have to warm it up. if this is true get the gauge checked by the dealer

i'm not sure exactly what is going on but what i got was when i turned it on after i got home the needle was in normal temp not cold but my dad drove it home when i got home but i'm not sure.... i'll check tomorrow morning if the needl is still in the middle if not then i guess the engine just warms up fast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast