usdm 08STI /my 1st impression - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on usdm 08STI /my 1st impression within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 06wrx4me Nice touch ray nice!! edit: TR execute operation "clamfmistro name change" Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX If ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Nice touch ray nice!!

edit: TR execute operation "clamfmistro name change"
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    If that happens I am coming for you.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nat
    Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    No offense to hatchback owners, as I <3 all Imprezas, but I could never justify spending $35k plus tax/title/tags on a hatchback.
    I sure as hell could.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails normal.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I sure as hell could.
    +me. I almost posted the same thing.

Isn't the last-gen Supra a hatch? Wonder how many of the "hatch haters" make an exception for that one?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Nat

Isn't the last-gen Supra a hatch? Wonder how many of the "hatch haters" make an exception for that one?
    If everyone is ruling out cars because of their category, is a 4-door sedan somehow more sporty than a hatch back? 4-door sedans are what grandpa drives to the VFW.

Ray, I've been shopping in earnest the past few weeks for a 911 C4. I'm in deep...someone talk some sense into me...

I Support ClubWRX
    Ray, I've been shopping in earnest the past few weeks for a 911 C4. I'm in deep...someone talk some sense into me...
    You've come to the wrong place. New or used? Which generation?

Sorry for the brief OT.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Nat
    You've come to the wrong place. New or used? Which generation?

Sorry for the brief OT.
    Definitely used. I'd love a new 997 but the kids need their food and silly stuff like that.

I started looking at 964's from 1989-1994. A decent one runs in the low-to-mid $20K range. Part of this deal is that we'd sell my wife's car to make room in the garage, and she likes the newer 996's better than the older 964's. Early 996's have dropped into the mid-$20's. They have a reputation for having their motors grenade though. I'm used to bulletproof Japanese quality and my biggest hesitation is having to dump a few thousand dollars per year into a car just to keep it running.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's funny, I LOVE the 964; true air-cooled sound, better lines than the 996, etc. But every time I start looking into it on the Porsche forums, you get the same line: "Buy the newest Porsche you can afford". I don't know the details behind the 996 engine failures; I guess I've fooled myself into believing that the early ones would have blown up by now if they were going to.

I have heard that if you DO have some sort of problem with a 964 engine, it is incredibly expensive to fix, more so than the 996. I have no numbers to back that up, though.

<==uses silly logic sometimes, but only when it comes to cars.

Oh, and hatchback STI's ftw!!!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    I sure as hell could.

I don't really consider a Porsche a hatchback and I'm sure Porsche doesn't either. I know it's technically a hatchback because of the hatch opening but it's shaped completely different. I thought they were referred to as a "fastback" or something of the sort. I guess I'm referring to the "wagon-hatch" look. Completely different type of hatch, sorry to make a blanket statement earlier.
    Last edited by farBeyondDriven; 12-20-2007 at 09:37 AM.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    I don't really consider a Porsche a hatchback and I'm sure Porsche doesn't either. I know it's technically a hatchback because of the hatch opening but it's shaped completely different. I thought they were referred to as a "fastback" or something of the sort. I guess I'm referring to the "wagon-hatch" look. Completely different type of hatch, sorry to make a blanket statement earlier.
    ORLY?

http://www.google.com/search?q=porsc...ient=firefox-a

I say TomAto you say tomato
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Yeah, I know it's technically a hatchback. I just couldn't see myself (or anyone) walking into a Porsche dealer saying, "What do you have in a mid-engined hatchback?"

You're right though, anything with a hatch is considered a hatchback. I just think when the rear windshield is angled like a Porsche/Vette/Supra with a little trunk lid it looks completely different than a WRX Wagon/Focus Hatch/Gremlin/Chevette IMO.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Just because it looks different doesn't make it different.

A hatch is a hatch
    04 wrx wagon D/D
    02 S2K Summer Fun (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCS2 View Post
    Just because it looks different doesn't make it different.

A hatch is a hatch
    Thanks, I pretty much covered that in my last post.
    2006 Panty Dropper

That's also limited to the boxster, cayman, 911 targa and cayenne...they have "hatches" I don't think anyone would call a C2 or C4 or turbo a hatch because it has a hatch like opening to its engine housing in the rear...with the exception of a few models, Porsche's I gotta think are coupes.

But again, as ray said, "you say tomato, I say ToMotto"
    gJb Hawk-Eye Alliance #002

Mets
    Giants
    Rangers

Nat
    It's funny, I LOVE the 964; true air-cooled sound, better lines than the 996, etc. But every time I start looking into it on the Porsche forums, you get the same line: "Buy the newest Porsche you can afford". I don't know the details behind the 996 engine failures; I guess I've fooled myself into believing that the early ones would have blown up by now if they were going to.

I have heard that if you DO have some sort of problem with a 964 engine, it is incredibly expensive to fix, more so than the 996. I have no numbers to back that up, though.

<==uses silly logic sometimes, but only when it comes to cars.

Oh, and hatchback STI's ftw!!!
    I've read the same conclusions that you have. 964's are more expensive to maintain than the 996 (but they're both expensive), and if you get to higher mileage on the 996 then you're probably safe from engine failure. Still, I'd be always anticipating having to make a dreaded cellphone call from out on a highway somewhere. I'm not sure I'm ready for that. In my WRX I would be completely surprised by any sort of mechanical failure rather than waiting for it to happen in the Porsche.

I also LOVE the 964. I want one BADLY. I found one with only 33K miles on it, in great shape, red with red interior. It's flashy as hell in an old-school kind of way. The seller is asking $28,500 though, and the Porsche board folks say that's a bit steep.

I keep waffling between '08 STI and old Porsche. Performance would be similar, STI wins on reliability (especially with a warranty), STI wins on practicality, Porsche wins on fulfilling a boyhood wet dream.

farBD, I guess my point was that while the 911 Targa is technically a hatchback, it is far from the typical utilitarian grocery getter hatchback. Likewise, the 08 STI is far from the typical utilitarian grocery getter. The older STI's are technically 4-door sedans, which are as a group pretty mundane, but what Subaru has done with it is far from the norm. I think people are making too much out of the fact that the 08 STI is in fact a hatchback. Rather, look at Subaru's interpretation and what it does.

I think theres hatch backs and then theres cars that happen to have hatches but don't look very hatchy (thats alot hatch in on sentence). Most people conjure up images of VW golfs, or Mazda 3's, when they hear hatch back, not porsche caymans, Z4 coupes, 350z's or Supras.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast