Roof rack mileage loss?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Roof rack mileage loss? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I'm playing with the idea of getting a roof rack as I'm getting really tired of taking bikes in ...

Roof rack mileage loss?

So I'm playing with the idea of getting a roof rack as I'm getting really tired of taking bikes in and out of my car. I was curious as to how much mpg you lose putting a rack with a fairing(I'm not dealing with the whistling)up on top of a wagon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I haven't noticed a difference. I have a Thule rack with teh fairing.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

friend of mine says nothing city but at most 2-3 miles highway

Nat
    Quote Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
    So I'm playing with the idea of getting a roof rack as I'm getting really tired of taking bikes in and out of my car. I was curious as to how much mpg you lose putting a rack with a fairing(I'm not dealing with the whistling)up on top of a wagon.
    I average 20mpg combined city/highway, and have a lead foot. Before the rack I got about 22-23 mpg combined.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    That's awesome!

I'm not sure how much (if any) gas mileage I lose with the roof rack because the factory rack and cross bars have been on it since I bought the car. I do consistently get 22-23mpg mixed and over 25mpg on the highway. If it makes a difference, I'll pull the cross bars off, but given their small cross section I don't think it's a big difference.

As for hauling bikes, I actually find just popping off the front wheel and folding down the rear seat to be pretty convenient and easy, but I rarely have to carry more than one bike at a time.

Nat
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    That's awesome!
    Alright! I knew someone would appreciate that little detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Alright! I knew someone would appreciate that little detail.
    i like it too
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.