Tuned!!! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tuned!!! :) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well...I decided it was time to take some of my mods and make them all work together. The girl I've ...

Tuned!!! :)

Well...I decided it was time to take some of my mods and make them all work together. The girl I've been seeing actually pushed the envelope and got me to do it by saying "Wow, you have this stuff done now, you should hurry up and get your car tuned so when I get back in October, we can go to the track and I'll watch you race!"

So I said ok...I called up Agile in Maryland and set up an appointment for not even a week away! I took the day off from work and drove the 2 hours from Jersey with my buddy Steve who has had a bunch of work done down there.

Strapped up the car to the Dynopaks and did a baseline run. I was making 285whp and 280wtq on the stock Cobb stage 2 map but only at 18psi (Cobb Stg2 map is supposed to be around 19.5psi)

But what was even worse was I established how Effed up the stock 07 STI map really is! So everytime you hear 302@12psi complain about the tune on his 07 STI...there really is a legit reason (I didn't doubt him ever though ) Well, looking at the stock map after we flashed it back on there for a baseline...the powerbands were just jagged! There were peaks and valleys all over the place, and where everyone complains about getting full throttle and it jerks at 4k rpms...there is a huge drop in power. Hill looked pulled up the AFRs and the 07s all of a sudden run extremely lean (14s!!!) for the entire first 4000 rpms! Then when they should level off after boost is hit...it never does. He said that was bad, but easily corrected. Then he proceeded to tell me all the blocks he's seen blow up from running so lean on 07s (literally 5 or 6 of them)...

...so not only did this tune give me some great power improvements, it sure made my car safer and certainly much more smooth in acceleration. The curves are now looking beautiful! Final numbers ended up being 310awhp and 330awtq!!! Hopefully I can see consistent 12.4's or lower, especially with the Cobb Launch Control set up

Now on to the pics!

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Very nice numbers on that setup. I'd like to see some data logs from the tune in around 1k miles to see how it is holding up.

The stock tune really is garbage but it's hard to compare your TBE with the stock tune log vs a Cobb OTS map as the stock map isnt ment to figuer out the DP.

Did you base line the Cobb OTS map? I'd like to see what you were doing on that map more so then the stock map with a DP.

And a HUGE -2 for coming down without giving me a heads up. I would have like to have seen the car and we problay could have kidnapped Jeff and had lunch or something.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Very nice! Worth the trip, eh?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Very nice numbers on that setup. I'd like to see some data logs from the tune in around 1k miles to see how it is holding up.

The stock tune really is garbage but it's hard to compare your TBE with the stock tune log vs a Cobb OTS map as the stock map isnt ment to figuer out the DP.

Did you base line the Cobb OTS map? I'd like to see what you were doing on that map more so then the stock map with a DP.

And a HUGE -2 for coming down without giving me a heads up. I would have like to have seen the car and we problay could have kidnapped Jeff and had lunch or something.
    Damn dude...I completely forgot that you were from the area, that is totally my eff up...I had texted Jeff, but he was at work when I was getting it done.

But we did run the Cobb Stage 2 OTS map, and it reflected the stock tune, complete with the huge dip around 4k rpms. Hill said that the Cobb map was even a huge improvement over stock

Driving home seriously was a night and day difference. The smoothness is what floors me when I drive. The power is gradual, then "POW...right in the kisser" to quote Peter Griffin...but that intense power buildup, stays just as smooth. Its what the damn car should be from the factory (Hill agreed)...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah. It's possible I might have been at work also as I didnt get off till 2:30 but whatever....we'll just call you a Maryland Clubwrx Hater.

Glad you enjoy the power. I'm a tad bit surprised that Cobb's map ran that poorly (as you describe). Maybe the V 1.04 will cause some changes for the better.

I'm really close to possible getting a Ap and flashing stage 1. I just have to find another daily driver first.

Enjoy the extra power and the smoothness.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Very nice Mikie! Those numbers are quite impressive for a stock turbo STi.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

+25whp/+50wtq for a protune - NICE!

The only thing I worry about with protuning is how the tune will be affected by temperature and humidity through NJ Winter and Summer seasons.

This is what is keeping me on the stock vf34 cobb map. I purchased StreetTuner just so I could eliminate some TGV related DTC's, haven't done anything with it since.

I'm waiting for Precision Tuning to get their dyno installed (it's at the shop, but not setup/connected) - then I'll get an idea of exactly what my car is making at the wheels. I'd guess I'm somewhere around 270whp. Operative word here being "guess".
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Banned
    those pics are totally photoshopped...

Jared, you're a word I got an infraction for by dodging the swear filter and name calling that involved an @ symbol as well as two of these Dollar symbols...referenced---->$

Micah,

Thanks man...I do know what you mean. I got it tuned yesterday, and it was a pretty warm day and rather humid as well, so that means it is set to handle the warmer weather as opposed to the cooler. The tuning went an hour longer than we planned just so we could let the car sit between Dyno pulls. Once it gets a little cooler, come later October and November...I'm wondering if the power would have any significant increase...hmmmmm

I can't wait til Precision gets all hooked up, I just didn't want to wait, haha. Brick is only 40 minutes from me where as Agile was 2 hours. Still not that bad though...But once they do get set up in Brick, I'm all for a 100 octane map because theres a Sunoco that sells it in Pt. Pleasant

I would say you are around those numbers, possibly a little higher. I have a buddy that was running almost the same setup, with a VF34 and started around 275-280 in the tq and hp departments. He went down to Agile, had Hill tune his...and is now up at 305-310 in each. Its a great running car (belongs to Tristan, aka King of Parts )

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Thanks man...I do know what you mean. I got it tuned yesterday, and it was a pretty warm day and rather humid as well, so that means it is set to handle the warmer weather as opposed to the cooler. The tuning went an hour longer than we planned just so we could let the car sit between Dyno pulls. Once it gets a little cooler, come later October and November...I'm wondering if the power would have any significant increase...hmmmmm

I can't wait til Precision gets all hooked up, I just didn't want to wait, haha. Brick is only 40 minutes from me where as Agile was 2 hours. Still not that bad though...But once they do get set up in Brick, I'm all for a 100 octane map because theres a Sunoco that sells it in Pt. Pleasant

I would say you are around those numbers, possibly a little higher. I have a buddy that was running almost the same setup, with a VF34 and started around 275-280 in the tq and hp departments. He went down to Agile, had Hill tune his...and is now up at 305-310 in each. Its a great running car (belongs to Tristan, aka King of Parts )
    Well, as temps fall, the air is cooler and can be compressed easier - meaning more air.... but you aren't changing the fuel, so more air and same fuel equals things running more lean than usual. By the same logic on very hot days the car would be running more rich than usual. As long as they tuned conservatively you should be fine, make a little more power when it's colder and a little less when it's warmer.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Well, as temps fall, the air is cooler and can be compressed easier - meaning more air.... but you aren't changing the fuel, so more air and same fuel equals things running more lean than usual. By the same logic on very hot days the car would be running more rich than usual. As long as they tuned conservatively you should be fine, make a little more power when it's colder and a little less when it's warmer.
    Yeah that does make a lot of sense...they did keep it pretty conservative. I'm only running 20.5psi, only up 1psi or so from the target boost of Cobb Stage 2. Hill at Agile is all about keeping things safe for the stock parts first, then working with what you got from there...

Banned
    Would it be worth it to drive 3 hours each way to get a tune there?

Mikie you know how few good places there are in NJ for these things.

[QUOTE=Mikie13;2084366] The girl I've been seeing actually pushed the envelope and got me to do it by saying "Wow, you have this stuff done now, you should hurry up and get your car tuned so when I get back in October, we can go to the track and I'll watch you race!"

awesome numbers man...always glad to see an import smoke some american muscle..not that theirs anything wrong with it..i love watching the looks on guys faces who hate import but then they see it smoke a hot rod..

and why cant ALL girls say stuff like that to their boyfriends...or husbands.

Come on!! i had nothing to do yesterday

we'll just call you a Maryland Clubwrx Hater..
    +1
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Yeah that does make a lot of sense...they did keep it pretty conservative. I'm only running 20.5psi, only up 1psi or so from the target boost of Cobb Stage 2. Hill at Agile is all about keeping things safe for the stock parts first, then working with what you got from there...
    That's the kind of tune/tuner I'm looking for. How much?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.