Yet another WRX crash, 3 teens dead - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 121

This is a discussion on Yet another WRX crash, 3 teens dead within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Trainrex Ewww Get your mind out of the gutter, Mr. Admin....

  1. #106
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,905
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Ewww
    Get your mind out of the gutter, Mr. Admin.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #107
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,244
    I Support ClubWRX
    I get so sad seeing these things, and can't imagine the impact it has on the community and family in general.

    It continues to re-inforce with me though that my children will be taught proper respect and techniques for driving....regardless of the time and cost involved. It's already started with my own driving habits while the kids are in the car with me. The cursing goes away, the speeds are more sedate, and I try to point out potential situations as evidence of drivers awareness. We've already made a game of "spot the bad driver", with a quarter handed out to each child that points out a driver doing something wrong...including myself

    I firmly believe the cars are not the cause of the accidents here. It is general immaturity and inexperience, and that lyes solely on the parents relationship with their kids. Folks need to stop blaming other things for their own responsibilities. Clearly, this kid had already demonstrated he couldn't handle a high performance car, let alone any car. Of course, I don't know all of the circumstances but the old adage stands true, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".

    My condolences to the family of those poor kids.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  4. #108
    Registered User spyder720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    26
    This is a sad story. I can't believe parents buy their children a car as fast a wrx. My first car was a 1990 saturn and granted I did stupid things in it I sure as heck couldn't take that car past 85mph.

    I just bought myself an 06 WRX and I think it's crazy fast. All I know is that my kids are going to probably get a scion Xb or Xa when they are of age because that's what I drove before the WRX and it was super slow. The scions are meant for slow and low rides and that's what my kids are getting.

    If they don't get the scion they are definitely getting one of those golf-cart cars that are street legal. You know, the ones that have a top speed of 40mph.

  5. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1

    Wrx 04'

    When I turned 16 my parents bought me an 04' WRX and I'm still driving it. I've kept it in great condition and it runs fantastic. maybe I just have some crazy parents, but I've had no troubles other then some speeding tickets, but not any accidents like that. It's been a amazing car to drive over the past 4 years and look forward to driving more subaru's. I'm a big fan of the scooby.
    Last edited by captg; 10-08-2007 at 09:25 AM.

  6. #110
    Registered User independent 68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Parker, Co
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder720 View Post
    This is a sad story. I can't believe parents buy their children a car as fast a wrx. My first car was a 1990 saturn and granted I did stupid things in it I sure as heck couldn't take that car past 85mph.

    I just bought myself an 06 WRX and I think it's crazy fast. All I know is that my kids are going to probably get a scion Xb or Xa when they are of age because that's what I drove before the WRX and it was super slow. The scions are meant for slow and low rides and that's what my kids are getting.

    If they don't get the scion they are definitely getting one of those golf-cart cars that are street legal. You know, the ones that have a top speed of 40mph.
    the factor we're not taking into consideration here is that most (and i use this word loosely) parents hate beyond anything in the world to see their children dissapointed. buy them a beater when they know you have the means to do better and they will be dissapointed. everyone on here keeps saying "i cant believe they would buy a wrx". well frankly the parents themselves cant probably believe they bought one, but its what their kid wanted and they want their children to be happy, even if its something against their better judgement. as stupid as this sounds i would bet you its one of the leading causes to teens driving rex's.
    "Whatever it takes"

  7. #111
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,244
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by independent 68 View Post
    the factor we're not taking into consideration here is that most (and i use this word loosely) parents hate beyond anything in the world to see their children dissapointed. buy them a beater when they know you have the means to do better and they will be dissapointed. everyone on here keeps saying "i cant believe they would buy a wrx". well frankly the parents themselves cant probably believe they bought one, but its what their kid wanted and they want their children to be happy, even if its something against their better judgement. as stupid as this sounds i would bet you its one of the leading causes to teens driving rex's.
    If this is truly one of the leading causes, we are in for a world of hurt as this generation grows up with an even worse sense of responsibility.

    Regardless, there really is no justification for cases like this. It is a profound loss for everyone, and ultimately, can only be used as a example of what not to do. There is a curious sense of immortality even in the supposed "adult" section of the world these days, that is costing everyone involved in more ways than one. To bad it is the kids that are paying the ultimate price. Can you even imagine how this kid's parents feel now. After being shown their son wasn't a truly responsible driver prior to this accident? Again, who knows all of the circumstances...I certainly don't. I can only put myself in their shoes and imagine the remorse and guilt I would be feeling. That alone is enough for me to ensure I do everything in my power to make my kids ready for driving responsibly and defensively.

    It's just sad....
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  8. #112
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,905
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by independent 68 View Post
    the factor we're not taking into consideration here is that most (and i use this word loosely) parents hate beyond anything in the world to see their children dissapointed. buy them a beater when they know you have the means to do better and they will be dissapointed. everyone on here keeps saying "i cant believe they would buy a wrx". well frankly the parents themselves cant probably believe they bought one, but its what their kid wanted and they want their children to be happy, even if its something against their better judgement. as stupid as this sounds i would bet you its one of the leading causes to teens driving rex's.
    Uh, you've just stated the difference between a good parent and a not-so-good parent. (not speaking specifically about gifted cars, just in general)

    A good parent knows that it's about what's best for the child, not what's best to the child.

    It is indeed tough when you look in your child's eyes and see disappointment, but that's part of the job. Honestly, I believe that there are a lot of absentee parents out there that try to assuage their guilt and make up for not being around by handing their kid a sick car at age 16. (as well as other things)

    Disclaimer: I don't know the people here well enough to make such judgments about them, I'm speaking of people I know in my social circles.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  9. #113
    Registered User independent 68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Parker, Co
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Uh, you've just stated the difference between a good parent and a not-so-good parent. (not speaking specifically about gifted cars, just in general)

    A good parent knows that it's about what's best for the child, not what's best to the child.

    It is indeed tough when you look in your child's eyes and see disappointment, but that's part of the job. Honestly, I believe that there are a lot of absentee parents out there that try to assuage their guilt and make up for not being around by handing their kid a sick car at age 16. (as well as other things)

    Disclaimer: I don't know the people here well enough to make such judgments about them, I'm speaking of people I know in my social circles.
    lol i love the disclaimer btw....and i agree with you for the most part, but not entirely. its not just bad (this is really too broad of a word for the topic) parents that buy their kids rex's, its a mixture of all of them.
    "Whatever it takes"

  10. #114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySparc View Post
    +1

    Its not 'young' people, its stupid people. Stupid people and sports cars do not mix.
    Yes, but the resounding trend tends to show 'younger' people in the stupid category? yes?

    look at the statistics.. young people are stupid.. yes i am generalizing, and yes i believe ALL young people are stupid
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #0284
    TwoThousandSeven WRX TR..

  11. #115
    Registered User wagon_guy808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    on the Big Island!
    Posts
    26
    agreed, but i think its important to look at the driver more so than the car, i mean, he could have been driving anything really, and just made the error of trying to pass, i mean is it not similar to the saying "guns dont kill people, people kill people," cars dont do stupid shat, the drivers do. i mean yes it was a sports car, but still, arnt sports cars just as capable of going 45 as well as they go 145?
    sure as hell ain't your grandma's wagon

  12. #116
    Registered User GuiltySparc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by cepterone View Post
    i believe ALL young people are stupid


    and i believe ALL people over 35 are stupid because it takes me half an hour to explain to them that your computer needs to be plugged into the wall in order for the dial up modem to work.

    I'm glad we share equality in our obtusity.
    Last edited by GuiltySparc; 10-09-2007 at 05:34 AM.
    --== Hawkeye Alliance Member #096 ==--

    2007 OBP STi
    Shorty Shifter, Boost Gauge

  13. #117
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,301
    I Support ClubWRX
    Beliefs are interesting but I don't see their relevance. The numbers tell the story, and the numbers aren't encouraging when it comes to the very young and several popular vehicles.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  14. #118
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,905
    I Support ClubWRX
    /thread. I don't see anything more of value coming from this.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  15. #119
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,590
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    /thread. I don't see anything more of value coming from this.
    last word

  16. #120
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,905
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    last word
    You ran the red light in this thread. Go turn yourself in.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •