Yet another WRX crash, 3 teens dead - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 121

This is a discussion on Yet another WRX crash, 3 teens dead within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; No one's condemning all teenagers, just speaking statistically. SD_GR's right; the insurance companies make the premiums for a teen-owned WRX ...

  1. #31
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,880
    I Support ClubWRX
    No one's condemning all teenagers, just speaking statistically. SD_GR's right; the insurance companies make the premiums for a teen-owned WRX high for a reason. The data shows a higher risk.

    This thread will soon be > /dev/null
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Moderator Integra96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    16,989
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blup View Post
    But I would just hate to condemn every teenager.

    I'm very familiar with actuary science and mathematics and agree with insurance companies higher premiums on teenagers (sometimes it's a bit excessive but whatever). But if 50% of teenagers are likely to get into an accident with a sports car it means that the other half of the population is responsible and getting screwed over.
    It's not a matter of condemnation, it's a matter of risk. And since risk a prospective matter, everyone in the risky population is charged higher rates because the insurance companies can't predict the future on an individual level and don't know exactly who is "responsible" and who is not.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

  4. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dirtee Jersee
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    It's not a matter of condemnation, it's a matter of risk. And since risk a prospective matter, everyone in the risky population is charged higher rates because the insurance companies can't predict the future on an individual level and don't know exactly who is "responsible" and who is not.
    Yea I understand that. I guess my implied point was it sucks the irresponsible side ruins it for the responsible side and gives certain cars and a certain demographic a bad image.

    Either way, irresponsible or not, it sucks when something like this happens... But that FMIC still looks in tact, and i bet the turbo and exhaust are fine... looks like a good part out.

  5. #34
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,219
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blup View Post
    Yea I understand that. I guess my implied point was it sucks the irresponsible side ruins it for the responsible side and gives certain cars and a certain demographic a bad image.
    What sucks even worse is having to pay increased premiums and not even being a member of the demographic at fault. As the system stands, non-teens also bear the financial burden caused by teens that wreck.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  6. #35
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,590
    I Support ClubWRX
    I personally think all brand new drivers should be given a no strings attached 400hp car. That way all the horrible irresponsible drivers weed themselves out, and we are left with responsible safe driving adults.

  7. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dirtee Jersee
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What sucks even worse is having to pay increased premiums and not even being a member of the demographic at fault. As the system stands, non-teens also bear the financial burden caused by teens that wreck.

    Then again insurance companies are making profits. So they're not exactly victims.

  8. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dirtee Jersee
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    I personally think all brand new drivers should be given a no strings attached 400hp car. That way all the horrible irresponsible drivers weed themselves out, and we are left with responsible safe driving adults.

    Interesting twist on Logan's Run. Instead of killing the obsolete ones we'll kill let the irresponsible ones kill themselves.

    But that'd probably see an increased rate of squirrel road kill, which I could not accept.

  9. #38
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,590
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blup View Post
    Interesting twist on Logan's Run. Instead of killing the obsolete ones we'll kill let the irresponsible ones kill themselves.

    But that'd probably see an increased rate of squirrel road kill, which I could not accept.
    If we equip all of the squirrels with little crush proof cages with little harnesses will the plan work?

  10. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dirtee Jersee
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    If we equip all of the squirrels with little crush proof cages with little harnesses will the plan work?
    did you know that ground hogs are really a large type of squirrel?

    I think we should breed a race of killer cyborg squirrels that hunt down and chew the fuel lines open of teenage sports car drivers.

  11. #40
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,219
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blup View Post
    Then again insurance companies are making profits. So they're not exactly victims.
    No. The victims are innocent bystanders that are hurt or have their property damaged. To a lesser extent, Impreza drivers that are not teens are also victims since the insurance companies have increased premiums for the car overall.

    EDIT: You can just use rats or field mice to chew fuel lines. They also eat up electrical and vacuum connections. This makes trying to start a car that's been in storage really boring sometimes. No joy.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  12. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dirtee Jersee
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    No. The victims are innocent bystanders that are hurt or have their property damaged. To a lesser extent, Impreza drivers that are not teens are also victims since the insurance companies have increased premiums for the car overall.
    If insurance companies weren't out to make profits they could easily cut some profits to lower rates... but they're a business and are out to make money. So they pay out $15,000 on a totaled WRX, and charge $6000/yr to insure drivers after that. They're not losing money, and there's hardly much risk involved for them...

    There can be more than one victim, insurance companies aren't one of them (the squirrels are tho... no one says anything about them....)

  13. #42
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,219
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blup View Post
    There can be more than one victim, insurance companies aren't one of them (the squirrels are tho... no one says anything about them....)
    I agree about the insurance companies. I'm not familiar with the plight and struggle of squirrels in our society, but it does sound compelling.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  14. #43
    Registered User Yossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,142
    Maybe if squirrels weren't so damn indecisive and just picked an escape route and stuck with it instead of second guessing and doubling back three or four times they wouldn't get flattened so often.
    ~Selah

  15. #44
    Registered User bulletSTI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by broosewee View Post
    Unbelievable. You'd think he'd have learned the first time around, but 2 hospital inducing accidents in one year (prelude and wrx). What the hell are the parents thinking? All were so damn young too.

    RIP


    This is exactly what I cannot figure out. After the first WRX accident a month ago when 4 teens died (all was very public) you'd think parents would have known better. But no, he totals his 97 prelude into a tree in March, goes to the hospital and gets his license taken away for 6 months. As soon as hes able to drive again after getting his license back last month, his parents buy him a WRX? Im just REALLY mad ans sad right now, as I am sure the passenger's parents are right now. WRX's are getting such a bad rep in this area, Im afraid to get pulled over on my way to work everyday.

  16. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dirtee Jersee
    Posts
    0
    You gotta remember this is the same generation of parents that relies on XBOX360, satellite TV, and the internet to raise their children for them....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •