First mods??

This is a discussion on First mods?? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm a new Subaru owner. Just picked up a smooth 02 WRX and looking to make it a little quicker. ...

First mods??

I'm a new Subaru owner. Just picked up a smooth 02 WRX and looking to make it a little quicker. As far as some first modifications, is a short ram intake even worth it?? I have been doing a little research and can't seem to find much. Im looking at spending right around $500 or so. Is an uppipe and downpipe the best move, and if so what brands are going to sound and perform the best. I was looking at either the helix or invidia. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, definitely getting a short shifter before anything else. Any suggestions on that as well. Kartboy, Subydude, OBX, DC.....and are bushings a good way to go during the installation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sleazy E
    I'm a new Subaru owner. Just picked up a smooth 02 WRX and looking to make it a little quicker. As far as some first modifications, is a short ram intake even worth it?? I have been doing a little research and can't seem to find much. Im looking at spending right around $500 or so. Is an uppipe and downpipe the best move, and if so what brands are going to sound and perform the best. I was looking at either the helix or invidia. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, definitely getting a short shifter before anything else. Any suggestions on that as well. Kartboy, Subydude, OBX, DC.....and are bushings a good way to go during the installation?
    First, welcome. 2nd, try searching before posting a thread like this. There is an entire "beginners" forum that you can look at FAQ's.

As for your questions:

SRI is not worth it. Stocker is fine.
    UP/DP + Engine Management are the normal starter mods.
    New Tires would probably be a good idea too. RE92's suck.
    I have the STi Short Shift Kit from the dealership, its wonderful.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

welcome to the forum! no on the cai, tons of info on why is all over this site. turbo back exhaust is a good starting point. everyone has different opinions on what is best, do a search and you will find some options. as far as your short shifter, i have the TSM and absolutely love it.
    Blobeye Syndicate #89
    http://www.myspace.com/qmansda
    2005 WRX, Cobb Stage II, Greddy EVO2 catback, Helix catted Downpipe, TurboXS Uppipe, TWM short shifter, Air Hog, Custom Carbon Concepts gauge pod with 2 5/8" Autometers

short shifter is a GREAT 1st modification for the scooby
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

First mod - new fuel rail to repair leaking fuel line during cold weather.
    Second mod - new steering bushings to repair dangerous handling of stock bushings.
    Third mod - New transmission to replace underdesigned stock MT.
    Fourth mod - New tires. RE-92's suck.

Once you get the car running as it should have been designed, then start looking at making it better. The best first power mod at altitude is engine management. It keeps every subsequent mod from destroying the fragile engine, and can net some big gains due to the difference in altitude.

Sorry, there's a dark cloud over me. An uppipe would be a good first mod, but get EM ASAP.

Definitely go with a shortshifter, I have no complaints with my OEM STi short shifter. Skip the intake and but that $$$ toward an up/down pipe combo.Happy modding!
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Do upipe first. Before downpipe and exhaust. Cause you have to take downpipe off to do upipe.
    My money pit