Would you buy Subaru again? why/why not? - Page 8
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on Would you buy Subaru again? why/why not? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by DTR rex Not necessarily. when you say "hit the gas" you are referencing straight-line performance, and in ...

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Not necessarily.

when you say "hit the gas" you are referencing straight-line performance, and in this case the only real difference between the two cars is a few tenths of a second. STi's in stock form will run 13.1-13.5 and IS350 will run 13.5-13.8 and both trap very similarly at 103/104mph.

The STi is performance superior is many other ways like braking and handling, but for straight line, the IS350 vs STi has a relatively small difference. Plus with the IS350 you gain awesome safety features, nice interior, refinement, good looks, etc...
    The only bad thing is the auto tranny... but I would still take one over an STi.
    Now if they hooked it up with a tranny simular to the DSG and it would be a real winner.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Plus with the IS350 you gain awesome safety features, nice interior, refinement, good looks, etc...

+Rayfield. You don't to stock air sickess bags in the back of a Lexus either.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Quote Originally Posted by dehnem
    If it is faster at the track then wouldn't it be faster period????
    well, the track is not the real world. in the real world, which is where you drive 98-100% of the time, the IS will be faster i believe.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

The only bad thing is the auto tranny....
    something tells me this will change. when they bring back the Supra, it will have a 6-speed for sure, and the base Supra will have the same engine as the IS350. since the Supra comes out in 2007/2008, the 6-speed would come in just in time for the IS's mid- cycle freshening.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    well, the track is not the real world. in the real world, which is where you drive 98-100% of the time, the IS will be faster i believe.

Uh. . right

hey you can pet its interior!

I really like my WRX wagon, great performance, reliability and practicality...with AWD to help out with those Vermont Winters. All of this at a great price point!

Despite all of those pro's, at this time, I don't think my next car will be a Subaru...

Since I moved back to Jersey and brought a 4 runner I don't need the AWD and the 4 Runner has become my grocery getter and kid carrier. Since I am making more money and have a wrangler for my winter beater I will be able to get a less practical, more expensive car that should have equal or nearly equal fun factor with a nicer fit and finish...of course lots can change in the next year and maybe I will look at a Legacy Spec B or if they release another limited edition STI...but right now I don't think I will get another Subaru.
    "Winners generally are not nice people, they try to be but are immensely selfish, immensely arrogant, have total belief in their own ability and nothing else matters when they are at work." -Eddie Jordan

If the STI is faster in every category then it will be faster in the real world. It will brake faster which is safer and will accelerate onto an on ramp faster. It will turn onto the on ramp faster. So in the real world the STI wins hands down.
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

Quote Originally Posted by Elvenblade
    Dang! I was just about to purchase a 2006 WRX sedan. After reading this thread, well, I don't know what the heck I gonna get now.

My wife's been driving a 2004 WRX wagon since 9/2003 and we've had no issues with her REX. So, I thought a brand new spankin slanted eyed 2006 WRX sedan would be the ticket.

Well, I guess it's back to the drawing board for me...

Peace
    TQ
    If you havent had any problem with your WRX it is probably because you don't beat on it so feel free to get another one! My car has 90+ thousand miles on it and I drive it fair but not hard, and the only problem I have is a dead clock and a little creeking noise when i turn slowly up a hill.
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

Quote Originally Posted by dehnem
    If the STI is faster in every category then it will be faster in the real world.
    "faster in every category" implies instrumented testing. that's as far from the real world as it gets.

"faster in every category" implies instrumented testing. that's as far from the real world as it gets.

and where do you anticipate the is is going to be faster? when you try to overtake someone on the highway at 60 without downshifting?

Or fromarolling at 130?

I think for a large majority of drivers out there the IS will be faster simply because of the flat power curve and automatic. On top of that is has many driver aids that will allow the average driver to bomb down roads feeling safe and confident where they would probably ease off in the WRX or STi. Most people I know don't try to push their cars. Put an aggresive driver behind the wheel though and I think they will get much more out of the STi and even the WRX than they ever could the IS350.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    and where do you anticipate the is is going to be faster? when you try to overtake someone on the highway at 60 without downshifting?

Or fromarolling at 130?
    right. on the track, when you have all the space in the world to wring your engine out, things like an elastic power delivery and an auto transmission don't matter.

when you have torque, power at any rpm, and an auto, it is more useful than a human shifting a manual, combined with no low end torque; this is when you're stuck behind grandma, not the nurburgring.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainable
    I think for a large majority of drivers out there the IS will be faster simply because of the flat power curve and automatic.
    thank you.

so for those who are unable to downshift. Gotcha.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is almost comical debating the difference in power between the STI and a Lexus. I dont even find myself using all the power of a stock wrx in 98% of my driving, I doubt I'd hardly ever use the STI's full power at all on the street (there is just no reason to). I really doubt I'd use the Lexus power either. When it comes down to driving around town and on the highway the power differnce is really laughable.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"