Would you buy Subaru again? why/why not? - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on Would you buy Subaru again? why/why not? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by viperuws My friends tell me that the stock WRX tires were pretty nice. I thought it was ...

Quote Originally Posted by viperuws
    My friends tell me that the stock WRX tires were pretty nice. I thought it was the STI tires that were just too hard so they have less grip but last longer?

I think my passion of the car comes from hype I guess because I have never driven in one personaly(my friend my take me to the auto cross with him in his modded rs ) but many of the problems people mention are very situational. transmission won't break if you don't try to break it. (for the most part) I have 4 friends that have a wrx/sti and one with a rs and none of them complained about paint...only one of them ruined his tranny because he had 4 people in his car and dumped the clutch on it in a rs. (not smart ) the 4 that have the wrx/sti have had no problems with service or in the process of buying the car.

This may all not be from my personal experience but if 5 people didn't have problems with their subaru, then subaru has got to be doing something right...right?

Only thing is that the tranny for a 99 (i think) rs was 1600ish and that is pretty expensive compared to most other cars.

stock wrx tires SUCK. Only thing they are good for is winter tires if you live in an area with snow. Sti tires are the ones with actual grip but they said in the rain or snow.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    went from 03 wrx to 05 sti. Brother has a 05 wrx and my 03 had lots of rattles and my brothers 05 doesnt. My sti does have rattles but so does my friends EVO so i deal with it. Plus like heather said, i like music so i just turn it up most of the time. If you guys think going from Subaru to Mitsubishi is some sort of safehaven from bad service your wrong, Mitsubishi customers have the same problems as subaru customers. I think this pretty much applies to all cars that are considered to be driven by "enthusiasts".

Would I buy another Subaru? YES, will it be my next buy? probably not. I'm growing up and i think this sti is last car I "mod"(i havent done much and i dont plan to do much more). I'll get myself something more refined i guess, wouldnt mind the IS350. According to my dad, my next car better be a 911 turbo or he'll look down on me with shame (his joking), but that wouldnt be so bad would it? Anyway, i'm happy with my subaru, in fact i had a lot of fun with my 03 bugeye and i still miss that thing! sometimes i wanna sell my sti, lease a civic and buy a 03 bugeye and mess around with it.

Also subarus are overhyped!!! anyone who ever asks me about my car gets an earful about how much fun it is, how fast it is, how nice it handles blah blah blah. 99 percent of subaru owners from the past were all like this and have been yelling and screaming about how much they enjoy their cars which made a lot of people listen apparently. Now people buy it and dont get what people have been yelling and screaming because people of course exxagerate when it comes to something they love. People who buy it now hear how great it is and just expect way too much for a little 25k car. Think about it this way, when they compare evo's and sti's they compare them to supercars and cars worth twice as much or even four times as much. You get about the same performance in a 33k car of course its going to have its faults with paint and rattles blah blah. But if you dont want all that and want the same performance, go buy a porsche. Work your 80 hour work week so you can afford that porsche, dont worry about rattles or bad paint. Your happy now right?

the only rattle on my 05, is the cruise control button. I test drove an 06, and that thing rattled like crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    stock wrx tires SUCK. Only thing they are good for is winter tires if you live in an area with snow. Sti tires are the ones with actual grip but they said in the rain or snow.
    why yes they do, http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showpo...8&postcount=14

Yeah the stock tires are horrifyingly bad. It's funny how you compare so many things from your past car to your present.

I thought my stock civic si tires sucked. They seem nicer now compared to the Wrx ones.

I thought my stock civic tranny and clutch sucked. I wish I had it on my Wrx now. What the hell is the point of having such agressive acceleration when you can't shift smoothly?

This is my 4th car with manual transmission and the only car I stall going into first. Did it again yesterday at the gas station. How embarassing it is to be fully experienced driving stick yet have a tranny so touchy that I stall it just easing out of the gas station.

this was last week. today i am up to 100,331 on my 02 stage 4 wrx

no stinkin' problems...
    would i buy another? the TR is the best deal hands down i think.
    like someone mentioned if the LGT had the STi powerplant, i would take it in a heartbeat...

but Subaru needs to tweak the STi powerplant more for me to get another one...

my next purchase would be a used spec B or a new TR.
    (to answer the question.. YES.)
    "All the auto WRXs I've driven (alot, I work at a dealership) give me enough time to make a peanut butter and jelly sammich before they hit boost." - Rancid

SQC 120

Dang! I was just about to purchase a 2006 WRX sedan. After reading this thread, well, I don't know what the heck I gonna get now.

My wife's been driving a 2004 WRX wagon since 9/2003 and we've had no issues with her REX. So, I thought a brand new spankin slanted eyed 2006 WRX sedan would be the ticket.

Well, I guess it's back to the drawing board for me...

Peace
    TQ

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd definitely buy another Subaru. I've been driving WRXs for a few years now (had an '04 wagon, now an '06 wagon) and I think they're brilliant cars. It's got great handling, great power, insane amounts of grip, amazing toughness, tons of character, and it's always fun to drive. The gripes that I have are not a deal-breaker for me - especially for a ~$23,000 car. The paint could be better, the seats could be more comfy (especially on long drives), the springs could be a little firmer, and the tranny could be a little slicker. But, oh well...the car kicks ass. The '06 changes also addressed some earlier concerns about better stock tires (the new 17" RE92s aren't bad!), less road noise, more low end torque, etc.

A more perfect WRX for me would have high quality paint, slightly stiffer suspension, a real rear sway bar stock, nicer stock tires, slicker shifting, more supportive buckets, a slightly larger stock turbo for upper range power, a tad less road noise, a lower Cd, weigh about 150 lbs. less, and have a little higher interior quality.

We'll see what the next Impreza is like, but for now, I'm thrilled with Subaru products in general.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Elvenblade
    Dang! I was just about to purchase a 2006 WRX sedan. After reading this thread, well, I don't know what the heck I gonna get now.

My wife's been driving a 2004 WRX wagon since 9/2003 and we've had no issues with her REX. So, I thought a brand new spankin slanted eyed 2006 WRX sedan would be the ticket.

Well, I guess it's back to the drawing board for me...

Peace
    TQ
    Agreed. The new underrated 2.5l engine blows. Who needs 17" wheels? Catless uppipe? Better brakes? dual-stage airbags? etc, etc.

suxx0rz.
    Born Again Car Enthusiast

I don't think I'll buy another Subaru and definitely not a wrx. I like my car but the crappy paint really really makes me mad and I'd rather have a car that attracts less attention.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    I will probably not buy another Impreza. Poor paint quality, mediocre interior finish, and the worst offense: Subaru are going the WRONG direction in their development, giving little or not thought to fuel consumption. The hybrid-STi murmurs are meaningless when Honda have had a hybrid V6 for years now, and when Honda, Toyota, and Ford have all offered a variety of hybrid vehicles.

If (rather, iff) Subaru manage to fix at least one of the major flaws above, I might consider it (though frankly they are also getting expen$ive). I wrote them a love letter praising them on their paint quality already, and I am sure others have let them know too. I can just wait and see at this point.

What problem are you guys having with your paint. I'm starting to notice that the paint by the bottom parts of my driver door are like spotting off. Also my front lip is starting to peel off a little.
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

Quote Originally Posted by bumaself
    Well, I was going to read the whole thread, but nevermind that....I prob will not buy another Suby. It has nothing to do with the crappy paint or any problems with the car, I love my car. Ive had it for about 1.25 years now, its an 02. I bought it used with 21k miles and have put over 30k on it since then with no real problems [minus the tree that almost cut it in half during the last hurricane]. I get 23-25 MPG on average. My main reason for not getting another Suby is that Im 24 and Im moving up in my life, and I think right now my next car will be a Lexus [an IS350 or a GS300 depending on my promotions in the next year]. I think its the luxury factor more than anything. The ride all the way down to the feel of the interior.

To each his own I guess
    Chris
    dude take that extra cash and get the STI you'll be so much happier when you need to hit the gas.
    96 Mustang: Shorty Headers, X-pipe, Electronic cut out, Air silencer Delete, K&N air filter, really sticky tires
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

02 bugeye: exedy oem clutch, kybAGX struts, momo short-throw shifter, steel braided brake lines, stoptech rotors and stock rims (the 17inch wheel just weighed too much), 14.232 @ 94.75mph

Quote Originally Posted by dehnem
    dude take that extra cash and get the STI you'll be so much happier when you need to hit the gas.
    i don't think the performance disparity between the two is that great. the STi is faster at the track, but that's about the only place, and the IS350 has a much more useable powerband and 3.5L
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    i don't think the performance disparity between the two is that great. the STi is faster at the track, but that's about the only place, and the IS350 has a much more useable powerband and 3.5L

If it is faster at the track then wouldn't it be faster period????
    (14.32 @ 96.7mph)

What problem are you guys having with your paint. I'm starting to notice that the paint by the bottom parts of my driver door are like spotting off. Also my front lip is starting to peel off a little.
    your just now getting it? your lucky.

some people rather give up a slight bit performance for a more all around ride such as a IS350. which seems to be an ok car but looks fattened up for the US economy.

Not necessarily.

when you say "hit the gas" you are referencing straight-line performance, and in this case the only real difference between the two cars is a few tenths of a second. STi's in stock form will run 13.1-13.5 and IS350 will run 13.5-13.8 and both trap very similarly at 103/104mph.

The STi is performance superior is many other ways like braking and handling, but for straight line, the IS350 vs STi has a relatively small difference. Plus with the IS350 you gain awesome safety features, nice interior, refinement, good looks, etc...
    The only bad thing is the auto tranny... but I would still take one over an STi.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.