Would you buy Subaru again? why/why not? - Page 5
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on Would you buy Subaru again? why/why not? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Speedette Then you could definitely use this sweet MOD Thanks. That will help me stop being concerned ...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    Then you could definitely use this sweet MOD
    Thanks. That will help me stop being concerned about how the gas fumes are effecting the mental health of my one year old boy. He may be slow, but at least he smells good.

And to put any other naysayers to rest, if my unmodified 911T or F430 (if only) were leaking gasoline out of a poorly designed fuel line onto the hot engine block, I would definitely expect the company to fix it under warranty. And you know what, both companies would fix it because they have a reputation to uphold. I'm positive they'd repair glass trannies that were poorly designed too, no questions asked.

I think Subaru is just relying on changing the set up of the cars every 2-4 years so that any one design problem never sees enough support to take down the whole company due to their negligence. If few enough cars are built, they never have to issue a recall.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

car glade is for girls. everyone hearts their own brand.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    Thanks. That will help me stop being concerned about how the gas fumes are effecting the mental health of my one year old boy. He may be slow, but at least he smells good. .
    I was just joking around. Obviously. But honestly if it seems like the gas fumes is a serious problem as you're making it out to be take it to a reputable repair shop! Don't sit around and wait for SOA or your dealership to attempt to resolve the problem! It's just not everyone is experiencing this from what I know, so it could be a result of some kind of faulty mechanics, not neccessarily a problem with all Subarus across the board!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    car glade is for girls. everyone hearts their own brand.

Actually I use the good stuff: Car Fragrances by Bath and Body Works!

Quote Originally Posted by medic
    But Subaru's misrepresentation of its vehicles sours the experience greatly to the point where I think I may rather have a Civic SI for my next car. It markets the Rex to a group of people who love to drive enthusiastically (not synonymous with "abusively"), yet it breaks when used for such purposes.
    What happened to your subie in terms of reliability? Did somethine break?

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't sit around and wait for SOA or your dealership to attempt to resolve the problem! It's just not everyone is experiencing this from what I know, so it could be a result of some kind of faulty mechanics, not neccessarily a problem with all Subarus across the board!
    It at least sounds like the known issue that came up a few years ago. They ought to be aware of a TSB for it; in any case some people have done field repairs using a long-stem screwdriver, acrobatics, and cursing. This should not be an issue on any modern car nonetheless. SOA should fix this no questions.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    It at least sounds like the known issue that came up a few years ago. They ought to be aware of a TSB for it; in any case some people have done field repairs using a long-stem screwdriver, acrobatics, and cursing. This should not be an issue on any modern car nonetheless. SOA should fix this no questions.
    I've searched, but can't find anything regarding the field repairs or that they worked for the long term. I've got the TSB. The search also showed a NHTSA action #PE04002. The federal government isn't motivation enough to force Subaru to fix this, so what chance do I have?

Oh well, once I pay to fix this misdesign, it will bring the grand total of repairs I've paid for, but that should be covered under warranty to $1065. Forget mods. It costs a fortune just to fix Subaru's shortcomings.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've spent $0.00 dollars / ~3yrs.

Recalls have been fixed while I wait for an oil change and tire rotation. Coolant leak was fixed free, window whistle fixed free. Last time in they rotated my tires on warranty. You can also get an alingment free (say it vibrates). My paint is still shiney and my transmission is smooth. I drive "enthusiastically" and use .2qt of oil every 3750 miles. I would have spent way greater than 1K to bring any other available vehicle (in 2003) up to this level.

I'm sure the gas smell sucks, as does your experience. I am really sorry for you, but that doesn't make a statistical sample. All in all this is a very reliable car that takes daily abuse. Sure they would fix the F430 free but you would only have it home every other month. You can also pay 2x normal price for an ll bean sleeping bag, then they will send you a new one 20 years from now no matter what you do to it.

Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    Thanks. That will help me stop being concerned about how the gas fumes are effecting the mental health of my one year old boy. He may be slow, but at least he smells good.

And to put any other naysayers to rest, if my unmodified 911T or F430 (if only) were leaking gasoline out of a poorly designed fuel line onto the hot engine block, I would definitely expect the company to fix it under warranty. And you know what, both companies would fix it because they have a reputation to uphold. I'm positive they'd repair glass trannies that were poorly designed too, no questions asked.

I think Subaru is just relying on changing the set up of the cars every 2-4 years so that any one design problem never sees enough support to take down the whole company due to their negligence. If few enough cars are built, they never have to issue a recall.
    what year is your car?

Quote Originally Posted by RexisMe
    what year is your car?
    I have an '02 WRX and an '04 STi.

When I picked up my STi, I noticed less than a week later, in bright sun, that there were knuckle sized dents in the front fender, and a knee sized dent in the rear fender. I was mad that someone had already dented my new car, until I looked back at the pictures I took the day I bought it. Sure enough the dents were there. Perhaps that's why there was some kid in the dealership saying "Is this yours? This is a sweet car!" while conveniently standing in front of the dented rear fender. So this was my word against theirs. I was probably making too much of it anyway. When called, they first said the body isn't covered by the warranty, then stopped responding to emails, and transferring my calls into voicemail. OK. I gave up.

So when I wondered about the odd wear on my tires, I took them off. To my surprise, there were bags on my suspension, and I later find out the car is totally out of alignment. When I try to schedule a service appointment, I am flatly ignored. No returned calls. No returned emails. I'm effectively blacklisted from the dealership.

Fine, I get the car aligned, and go through the entire PDI procedure to do it myself where the dealership never did it. I'm a DIY guy, so it was no problem.

So in the past year, electrical gremlins have started showing up. First the torque converter speed sensor on my wife's WRX shorted out. I pulled the sensor, found the problem, and a little electrical tape and some zip ties, and I saved $200. Warranty would have been questionable since it was damaged from the outside, so I didn't even try.

Then the gas smell shows up once it gets cold. I do some research and find the TSB, NHTSA report, and think I have a good case. Of course the dealership (not the original, I'll never go back there) stated they've never heard of the problem, even after seeing the TSB. No warranty coverage, and $500 to fix it. Still not repaired, but at least it only happens when it's really cold. I'll probably fix it myself once I have a whole weekend to dedicate to taking the intake manifold off.

Then the O2 sensor on the STi failed. I have gotten tired of dealerships, so I try a new tack. I contacted SOA to try to get the part replaced without having to let the service department of the dealership touch the car. I was willing to produce the part and the vehicle to show that it had failed, and that it was still under warranty. By the language in the warranty, technically Subaru has the right to decide to cover a part under warranty without having the dealership involved. Of course Subaru decided to deny the warranty, regardless of my plight, only stating that the dealership must do the work for warranty coverage. So I bought the part and installed it myself, again having to circumvent Subaru.

BTW, for anyone thinking there is consumer protection to prevent poor customer treatment, the BBB doesn't help people with Subaru in Colorado. The Attorney General defers to the BBB. The US EPA (O2 sensor) doesn't think it can help, though I doubt I'll hear from that bureaucratic mess ever again. The NHTSA does nothing, or next to nothing. There is effectively no recourse other than hiring a lawyer and suing to accomplish anything with a company that chooses to treat a customer any way they feel like. The warranty on these cars is not even worth the paper it's written on.

I could understand if it was one isolated incident. In fact I did understand, and gave up on multiple occasions. Perhaps that is my problem. I don't spend my entire Saturday arguing on the phone with "customer service" representatives trying to get someone to commit to fixing something that shouldn't be broken. I'm not a squeaky enough wheel. Silly me, I'd rather spend that day fixing the car myself so as to not let these crappy pieces of machinery bring my life outside of cars to a complete halt.

So when someone asks if I've had any problems, I apologise for raining on anyone's parade. Subaru is not perfect. Their vehicles are not perfect. Nobody is perfect. I'd likely have the same problems with any company. Tact is not my strength. Just be careful who's toes you step on, because right and wrong have nothing to do with whether some subjective representative is going to choose to believe the truth, or condemn you to blacklist hell.

Of course, every other week I get junk mail from Subaru telling me I should get an extended warranty.
    Last edited by VVVV; 02-28-2006 at 02:24 AM.

This thread is really making me hesitate to buy the 2006 WRX wagon next month (my first subaru)

Quote Originally Posted by chimchim
    This thread is really making me hesitate to buy the 2006 WRX wagon next month (my first subaru)
    I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Subaru may have some screwed up dealerships but every car company is like that. Me I worked strait for two years saving every penny to buy my 02' and it is worth every bit from my point of view. Hancock subaru in columbia treats me fine even though i do have a modded car. Also another thing i find funny about the columbia dealership is everytime they see my car they automatically ask me if i want to trade it in for an sti. And every sales man/woman tells me that the wrx is a quick little car but the sti is scary fast. It is like a quote that they must memorize to work there. When they describe the sti the first words are "its scary fast"

Peachypumpkincheeks

If you're hesitant, I really think you should look at this: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/search...archid=1312911

Or my fave: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109946

*p.s. my search was limited because it cuts out words like "like" and "about", but you'll get the picture!

Last edited by Speedette; 02-28-2006 at 05:41 AM.

I wouldn't say it's nothing to worry about. Check locally to see what the experience is with the dealership. If it's good, and nobody has ever had problems, you'll probably be OK. Just know that if you get a bad dealership, there is nothing you can do. Subaru of America will stand idly by and watch the stealership crap all over you.

Or you could plan a trip to another state, so a decent dealership can do the work. IMHO, any company that doesn't stand behind a product, or hides behind their dealerships should be a concern. You may never have to worry, but it should be weighed against the other options when considering this much money.

Just know that Subaru has never issued an official fix for the glass tranny, nor this fuel leak problem. If it comes down to a question between your safety and issuing a recall, Subaru will sacrifice your safety. Who knows what issues the next redesign is going to have?

If you're hesitant, I really think you should look at this: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/search...archid=1312911

Or my fave: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109946

*p.s. my search was limited because it cuts out words like "like" and "about", but you'll get the picture!

Anyone with a wife knows what financial trouble love can get you into.