Would you buy Subaru again? why/why not? - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

This is a discussion on Would you buy Subaru again? why/why not? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Lemons are a fact. There is no disputing it. No car company short of Porsche and Ferrari use tolerances that ...

Lemons are a fact. There is no disputing it. No car company short of Porsche and Ferrari use tolerances that won't occasionally combine in a bad way such that they are more prone to failures. A few lucky people get the other end of the spectrum, and have a car that is toleranced well and is better than average. Saying there are not lemons is total BS.

And I own two Subarus, think they're crap, and will never buy another.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lukeskywrx
    pay some kids to throw bottles at the service rep and his car after work for a week, and some flaming turd bags as well. Trailer park style.

If the guy thinks cars are so well put together why does he even have a job? his whole carreer is based on flaws and random mechanical malfunctions, the same randomness that provides service work effects the production line as well. This results in factory freaks and runts, sorry you got a runt.

or blackmail someone at subaru for a complete V7 driveline :-)

Luke
    The VP from Subaru Canada said he did not believe in lemons and he is across the country I believe in Quebec or somthing. The service rep her in BC rtried to give me a hat or something.

The thing that gets me is I get the feeling this was a build quality issue from one of the suppliers who manufacture the exhaust system in Japan. But Subaru downloaded the problem on the Service department and that is how I got two free services. The problem is Subaru Canada did nothing. I just got phone call from the guy who said robots don't have a bad day.

So I'm stuck with this car that has problems my only recourse is to let everyone know how they handled it and after a few years trade it in for another BMW. It will be slower, won't handle as well but the service is way better. They just fix the problem no questions asked.

Arrgh. It sounds like Subaru of Canada and SOA are on the same page. They will use any excuse, no matter how rediculous, to argue their way out of paying one red cent for any warranty work. They're a bunch of lying cheats.

Tell the VP from Subaru Canada that engineering tolerances are not a religion for him to believe in, just a fact of the manufacturing world. Every part is constructed with dimensions of X +/- y%. That +/- y% is the tolerance. If you get one part that has been constructed, like a block to the fullest extent of the negative tolerance, and a head that is also at the full negative, you'll get a higher compression ratio than design, and more power than average. The same goes for the opposite end. It has nothing to do with "robots having a bad day", just parts that are machined within a certain margin of error. There is no possibility that any manufactured part could be made with the exact same dimensions, whether by robots or this VP himself. Any part is going to be off at least a little bit. It's a statistical fact. It's also a statistical fact that there is a small number of cars that roll off of every manufacturing line of every company that have been put together with parts that are not as compatible as they should be. If they say they don't make lemons, ask them to disclose their statistical breakdown of their engineering tolerances that proves they use tolerances tight enough to prevent any mismatch of parts. No mass produced car company designs parts with that tight of tolerances because it costs too much to measure and throw out the parts that don't fall within the deadband.

It's BS. But I understand your frustration. There was no recourse for me to have any agency like the BBB or the Attorney General help me. Lemon laws don't apply to Subaru in my state because they don't have an agreement with Subaru to negotiate. So by Subaru choosing not to participate in the BBB, they effectively get off scott free. The attorney general was worthless, probably too worried about politics to do a job.

I know it sucks to be stuck with a POS. I've got two. And unless you're willing to get upside-down on a loan, there's really no other choice but to live with it. Just try to keep coming here sharing your experiences. Most people that have problems get discouraged by the chemical happiness here and run off the board pretty quickly. Stick around and share so that other people don't get stuck with a POS too.

I think I will be looking for a more economical car next time. Suzui Aero has awd. Toyota Matrix has awd. I would like to see Subary bring out a small car to compete with the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, and Toyota Yaris, except one that has awd. So, if they do that I will be considering Subaru.

You know, the paint thing really is a big thing. I really don't like looking at my 1 year-old hood (had hood replaced due to someone backing into me ) and seeing about 100 paint chips of all sizes.

AWD is nice but it didn't seem terribly helpful this winter. The ass end of the wagon is just way too prone to swing around, awd or not. It should have had LSD all around from the getgo. I'm hoping a rear sway will help since a lot of the kick out was caused by suspension shimmy. Just think the wheelbase was too narrow or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Slide
    AWD is nice but it didn't seem terribly helpful this winter. The ass end of the wagon is just way too prone to swing around, awd or not. It should have had LSD all around from the getgo. I'm hoping a rear sway will help since a lot of the kick out was caused by suspension shimmy. Just think the wheelbase was too narrow or something.
    atleast its not understeer its easier to save a back swing to me than figure out how to stop frontal slide.

If you are still using the stock tires try getting some better tires more suited to winter driving. When I had my wrx my back end would swing out unpredictably at times. Once I put on a set of Nokian wr's it would only happen when I really wanted it to (ie. gassing it around a corner). It was MUCH more composed.

As for people always bragging about how great honda's are, in my sister's 2002 civic it feels like everytime you hit a bump on the highway you are going to loose control. It is just not a very composed vehicle on the highway. The honda dealership even sold her the car with summer perfomance tires on the vehicle in the middle of winter. My prelude also had crappy syncros in 2nd gear. It would grind 2nd every time I shifted when the tranny was cold. They would'nt do anything about it. So not all honda dealrships are great either.

sht
    only way i wont is if i can swing a 993
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

Quote Originally Posted by 03subrex
    If you are still using the stock tires try getting some better tires more suited to winter driving. When I had my wrx my back end would swing out unpredictably at times. Once I put on a set of Nokian wr's it would only happen when I really wanted it to (ie. gassing it around a corner). It was MUCH more composed.

As for people always bragging about how great honda's are, in my sister's 2002 civic it feels like everytime you hit a bump on the highway you are going to loose control. It is just not a very composed vehicle on the highway. The honda dealership even sold her the car with summer perfomance tires on the vehicle in the middle of winter. My prelude also had crappy syncros in 2nd gear. It would grind 2nd every time I shifted when the tranny was cold. They would'nt do anything about it. So not all honda dealrships are great either.
    any dealer is that way. fieher motors(a B,P,GMC dealership) screwed me because they were going to make more money on another guy. i went to another, called Sieve pontiac and the guy straight told me he would lose 1500 on me but wanted me to be a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bxr
    any dealer is that way. fieher motors(a B,P,GMC dealership) screwed me because they were going to make more money on another guy. i went to another, called Sieve pontiac and the guy straight told me he would lose 1500 on me but wanted me to be a customer.
    that's a lie if I ever heard one. why would a salesman sell you a car at a $1500 loss? is he stupid? how long have they been in business? he was just trying to play like he's your friend and he's doing you a huge favor. believe me, car salesmen do not sell cars at a loss, no matter what they say. by telling you that he's already selling it at a loss he's simply trying to make you think he can't go any lower on the price. if you bought that line, I know a lot of sales guys that would like you as a customer.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    that's a lie if I ever heard one. why would a salesman sell you a car at a $1500 loss? is he stupid? how long have they been in business? he was just trying to play like he's your friend and he's doing you a huge favor. believe me, car salesmen do not sell cars at a loss, no matter what they say. by telling you that he's already selling it at a loss he's simply trying to make you think he can't go any lower on the price. if you bought that line, I know a lot of sales guys that would like you as a customer.
    well they were around from the very early thirty's and they were losing alot of money as it was going to be an 04 GTO. they could not sell them for even 24k which most talked them down below that. i went when they offered 5k off, plus the fact i own another GM, 1,500 there, and they offered me money for coming there (not originally knowing what i was after).

i was not trying to bargain on the price either. alot of guys on the pontiac forums say they got thier 04 goats for 24k OTD or less. and For another fact GM took a big loss with the 04 model year. If anyone was going to try and doop me it would have been fieher. esp. since my PS was out and my car was modded/is modded.

I would if they would fix the paint problem. I sold my 03 WRX when I had my daughter so I could afford daycare. I wish I could have it back. Yes I would buy another one.

I might buy another one later down the road. I'm not really one for brand-loyalty, I could care less who makes the car as long as it is a well made machine.

I haven't dealt with the dealers since I bought the car other than taking it in for the recall. I do this mostly because dealerships were made to screw you, I would never expect anything from them and never have. But I'm not trying to justify the poor customer service.

My only gripes would be paint quality and interior quality. I paid 22k for a car that has the interior quality of a 12k car. Although from what i've seen it has improved a lot.

My Ford Probe with FWD and summer tires handled better than the WRX until I ditched the re92's for dedicated snow tires. Sad, but true...

Quote Originally Posted by Chunks
    My only gripes would be paint quality and interior quality. I paid 22k for a car that has the interior quality of a 12k car. Although from what i've seen it has improved a lot.
    Check out the fit & finish on the Honda Fit, which starts under 14k and > wrx interior and finish.
    Last edited by snowcat; 05-17-2006 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat
    My Ford Probe with FWD and summer tires handled better than the WRX until I ditched the re92's for dedicated snow tires. Sad, but true...
    +1.

The wrx gets good traction but it ends there. I know AWD is not supposed to make the car handle better in snow, it is purely for traction issues, but I found my awd coming in real handy maybe 3-5 times a year. And my maxima with snow tires did better than the wrx with the stockers on.

However, the wrx with good snow tires on tackles the bad weather rather nicely.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.