"Autolock"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on "Autolock" within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey I just got a white wrx wagon...simply put... its a beauty. I was wondering if anyone uses "autolock" which ...

"Autolock"

Hey I just got a white wrx wagon...simply put... its a beauty. I was wondering if anyone uses "autolock" which is a antitheft device that locks the brake pedal in place. Cuz i was looking underneath the steering wheel and it doesn't seem that there is enough room to install one. So does anyone know if it can work? Please let me know before i go get one Thanks

Nub

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    After doing a little research on this, I don't know if the autolock is such a great idea. You would probably have better luck w/a decent alarm. It seems that the autolock is fairly easy to defeat.. from what I have read so far, less than a minute is all it takes. Congrats on getting your Subie, and welcome to the club.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

Just like the club, bulky and can be removed rather quickly by a thief.

i have and use one, but on the clutch cause whats the point of the break on a manual...since you can just use the emergency brake to slow and stop

but a good kil switches and alarm will be best money spent..i use all three and so i dont have to worry about my baby

Actually I should say that a "good" thief can get around them. A cleverly hidden disable switch is a good option, IMO.

I had one on my last civic, i say last cause it was the car i had before my wrx. I dont have it anymore cause it got stolen.

I had a viper 791vx (pager remote) and the autolock, went to work, walked out 5 hours later to nothing. They found the car a day later completly striped and the auto lock was no where in sight, and the clutch was just fine. SO IMO it is useless....from experience

wow

Wow thanks a lot for your input and i guess i won't be going for it and i just might as well go for the engine immobilizer any suggestions on that?

I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb Access Port
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

how exactly does a thief defeat the autolock? I have heard of a way but it still sounds somewhat weird. pm me if u prefer not to discuss it on the boards.

I guess I wasted $65 on one then

But as for the original poster, the autolock fits, but it BARELY fits. You'll also have to put it upside down, since the key lock doesn't clear the area below the steering wheel.
    And since the clutch pedal and/or brake pedal have a wide side, when you pull the lever up, you always have to make sure the handle is completely closed off. Most of the time there's like a .5 inch gap that you could twist the autolock off the pedal if you don't check everytime to see if the gap is closed (or the lever pulled all the way up).

I saw a video a while back demonstrating how thieves got past a ton of different devices. I'll see if I can dig it up. I know that they showed one getting removed from the pedal but I don't know the specific brand. I can't remember how they removed it but they used a hacksaw and took the club off in no time.

The good thing about those and the club is that they are visible and would deter most people who don't really know what they're doing. My main reason for not using them is that they are bulky and I would just get tired of using it. I don't think they are bad, just not for me.

Off to find vid...

Quote Originally Posted by zoinks

Off to find vid...

bump

still waiting

+1 for a kill switch.

I have one and love it.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX
    bump

still waiting
    No dice last night. Will try again when I get home from work. Stupid firewall here blocks almost every video site.

I was actually thinking that it may have been on tv like 20/20, Dateline, etc. It's been at least 4 years since I've seen it. I'll still search for it though. Stay tuned...

I Support ClubWRX
    I actually found quite a bit of info on this subject just doing a google..
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast