cleaning engine w/o using hose?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on cleaning engine w/o using hose? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; allright guys ive tryed hosing out my engine but it wouldent start for about 3 hours is there any other ...

cleaning engine w/o using hose?

allright guys ive tryed hosing out my engine but it wouldent start for about 3 hours is there any other way of cleaning out the engine compartment w/o using a hose?
    " Burton is like sex in the snow, only board shaped and not as cold" - Lizz ----

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

dang how much water did you use?, i used a pressure washer on really low, and it cleaned mine perfect. with out damaging anything.
    05' WRB STI
    MODS

Go raibh tú leathuair ar Neamh
    sula bhfuil a fhios ag an diabhal go bhfuil tú marbh

May you be a half-hour in Heaven before the devil knows that you're dead.

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    try not spraying water directly into the intake or fusebox
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

i dident like drench i just used a pressure nozzle on my hose at a ligher pressure and i was careful about not hiting fuses air intake and i dident see a computer anywhere im guessing it has something to do with the wires leading to the sparkplugs like mabey water got under them i dont know but is there any other way to clean it?
    " Burton is like sex in the snow, only board shaped and not as cold" - Lizz ----

You can try using this too and wash with a towel.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Lightbulb

You also might want to check your distributor cap to see if any moisture got in there. It would be a no go if there was a drop in the cap. If this is the case, you can dry it out or make it a good time to replace the rotor and cap...
    JGT

Quote Originally Posted by THEOwrxwagon
    You also might want to check your distributor cap to see if any moisture got in there. It would be a no go if there was a drop in the cap. If this is the case, you can dry it out or make it a good time to replace the rotor and cap...
    So where exactly is the distributor cap on a WRX?

no the wrx dosent have a dist. cap good idea though. I just tryed the simple green automotive an di gotta say it really dose the trick thx for all you who gave me your .02 cents.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have washed the engine bay of my last four cars countless times using a garden hose with no problems at all. Maybe you have some wiring / electrical problems? A gentle spray is all that is needed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep the car running while rinsing the engine, then keep it on for another 20 minutes or so afterwards (or even better, drive it around). You should have no problems doing it that way as long as you don't spray water into the air intake.

BTW...if you just keep up with the dust/grit on a monthly basis, there should never be a need to was your engine off unless you are off-roading it.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    I have washed the engine bay of my last four cars countless times using a garden hose with no problems at all. Maybe you have some wiring / electrical problems? A gentle spray is all that is needed.
    I also thoroughly hosed out my WRX and my wife's RS (which actually DOES have a distributor) last weekend and they both started right up, no problem. I used the Oil Eater stuff from Costco and it worked great. I read that Simple Green can stain aluminum, so I decided to pass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    BTW...if you just keep up with the dust/grit on a monthly basis, there should never be a need to was your engine off unless you are off-roading it.
    It is so hard in the winter months though.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I have had a lot of luck using a cleaning gun hooked up to my compressor. It mixes the solution with the air and just blows it right off. And b/c it is so small and compact you can target really small nooks/crannies and not hose the whole thing down.

are you taking about an air compressor or a pressure washer?

Air Compressor. I found this neat little blow gun/cleaning wand that lets you hook up a tube to the cleaning solution and the compressed air mixes with it automatically. It is very similar to using a pressure washer but much easier to manuver around the engine compartment, offering mroe control. I tried my pressure washer which has a similar hookup where you can mix the solution but the wand was too big and even on low the thing just put out too much water and was a lot messier to use. This blow gun uses more air than water to blast way the crap and I have just found it easier to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast