Subaru WRX Forum banner

Process West Verticoolers 08-14 WRX

18K views 44 replies 11 participants last post by  crepitus 
#1 ·

NEW PROCESS WEST VERTICOOLER TOP MOUNT INTERCOOLERS!

Process West MY08-14 WRX VERTICOOLER intercooler system

Taking a fresh approach formed from years of motorsport and component design experience, Process West are proud to announce the new ‘Verti-Cooler’ slant mount intercooler system of the G3 series (2008-2014) WRX. Designed and engineered with rapid air-charge cooling and flow-path efficiency as the key objectives, Verti-Cooler is a revolutionary take on Subaru intercooler design that takes turbocharger cooling to a new and previously un-seen level, guaranteeing the best performance and improved engine durability.

ORIGINAL INTERCOOLING

Computer modeling and real world testing of the factory Subaru Top Mount Intercooler shows that while cooling effectively in short bursts, a lack of exit air path from the bottom side of the intercooler creates a virtual ‘traffic jam’ of hot air in the engine bay which rapidly reduces intercooler efficiency in demanding conditions. Making the stock mount intercooler larger does improve the rate at which heat-soak occurs but does little to address the critical factor of getting the heated air away from the intercooler body itself.

VERTI-COOLER ADVANTAGE

Verti-Cooler combines the advantages of a large and free-flowing Process West core (400mm flow length, 205mm stack height, 120mm thick) with a design that mounts the new intercooler at a 15 degree, near vertical angle in the engine bay. Packaged with a new hood duct design that force-feeds external airflow straight onto the intercooler fins, there is now a highly efficient air exit path courtesy of the Verti-Cooler mounting angle that flows all of this (now heated) air back down through the engine bay and out the underside of the car through the transmission tunnel for a shallow, cool, and low restriction exit-path. Compare then the near on 90 degree angle that the air must turn with the stock intercooler setup in place, and the advantages of the Process West Verti-Cooler design become clear. Verti-cooler also has the largest volume of any aftermarket intercooler for the G3 WRX with core measurements of 400mm flow length x 205mm stack height x 120mm thick

SUPPLIED

In true Process West fashion everything you need to fit the Verti-Cooler to your G3 Subaru WRX comes in a complete package, including specially formed silicon hoses, high quality constant tension hose clamps, the Verti-Cooler intercooler body, and the matching under-hood air duct/splitter. There is also an optional silicone hose for Verti-Cooler that allows for direct fitment to traditional non-stock turbochargers. At the time of order you can specify whether you want your Verti-Cooler in a satin-black finish or traditional polished.

IS VERTI-COOLER FOR ME?

When getting that race-winning edge of stronger performance for longer periods is all critical to your application then Process West Verti-Cooler has no peers in the Subaru performance market. A combination of proven Process West engineering and leading edge fresh-thinking design ensures that Verti-Cooler is the very best option for your G3 onwards Subaru WRX.

See less See more
#6 ·
How well do these actually fit?
I know the other style needed adjustments.
I want a Process West. Definitely my favorite intercooler models.
Just a little pricy.

#8 ·
Is this cool? Sure, but it seems like it would be more prone to heat soak in this position. Why not just get a front mount? Regardless, props to PW for the innovation, I hope it turns out to be an awesome mod.

#10 ·
Saw a post on Facebook about this too. Certainly interesting and something I'll have to keep in mind, but not even close to necessary for me now.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
#18 ·
Jeff, can you explain more in detail what sort of differences this new "verticooler" entails in terms of performance and intercooler efficiency compared to your traditional TMIC? I read the writeup in the product description but none of this was answered. The only thing it states is that it allows air to flow more efficiently through the intercooler. I'm just wondering if it has any performance benefits to the traditional setup. Has it been tested to produce lower IAT's? Also, I noticed that it is not compatible with most aftermarket BPV's, how so?

#21 · (Edited)
PROCESS WEST VERTICOOLER INTERCOOLER SYSTEM TEST

As you can see from the pictures the new Process West Verticooler certainly looks the part, and with a forward facing slanted design promises so much more than the stock flat-pack Subaru arrangement. Looks can be deceiving though so we decided to install a latest generation AIM Data Logging system and head to the track to see how good the Verticooler really is.

Our own Process West test car was used for all testing. It’s an ADM MY13 WRX that’s had some fairly representative light mods done, as most of you normally would for the street. Full turbo back exhaust, a small compressor upgrade, and an off the shelf Ecutek tune make our test car stress the cooling a little more than stock setup, and in theory should show off all the benefits of the Verticooler.

TRACK

With logging probes installed to measure Verticooler inlet and outlet pressures/temperatures it was time to head to the Wakefield Park race track in New South Wales and put the cooling system under some real pressure to see what results we can generate. We couldn’t have picked a better day for it either with the weather turning up the heat at 32 degrees Celsius ambient (90F) to make sure we got some big temperature numbers and a true real-world result.

The data shown is from one of our many track sessions for the day, a 4.5 minute burst at absolutely full pace, and one that pushed the limits of our brakes and tyres. In short we couldn’t have gone any harder at making temperature…and make it we did…but as you can see only an 11 degree Celsius rise over ambient, which is an amazing result. In fact going through data we have gathered over the years from other test sessions tends to show that Verticooler is as effective in charge-air cooling under race conditions as a traditional front mount setup….but all without the inherent response delay that long inlet tracts deliver.

DYNO

The flow rate of Verticooler is just as impressive as its cooling capability. Scanning the data again shows approximately 1psi (at worst) of pressure loss across the core. At the racetrack then Verticooler is a clear winner at keeping the flat four not only well cooled but also supplied with the largest amount of chilled turbocharged air, but let’s have a look at what happens on the dyno when it’s compared to the stock intercooler.

With Verticooler removed and the stock intercooler bolted into place we performed three power runs on the Mainline chassis dyno to not only measure the power generated through the factory intercooler core, but also to measure its heat rejection. Once this data was gathered the Verticooler was re-installed and the same test repeated. It’s pretty clear to see that Verticooler keeps the inlet charge colder than stock, but Verticooler also has the extra added advantage of reaching a stabilized ‘hold-point’ for air temperature, where the stock intercooler continues to let the temperatures spiral out of control.

Comparison of horse power, torque and intercooler outlet temperature.

Comparison of kilowatt, torque and intercooler outlet temperature.

Comparison of intercooler outlet temperatures after 3 back-to-back dyno pulls

#32 ·
Jeff,

What are your thoughts, or insight, on these ever becoming compatible with most aftermarket BOV's. I would get one of these if it was compatible, but until then my eyes are still set on the traditional model.

#35 ·
I don't personally feel like after you drop $1,000 on an intercooler kit, you should have to pay another $35 for brackets so that it works properly with afterkmarket BOV's, and I'm sure others feel the same. Hopefully PW starts sending them this way from the factory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.