WRX & STi radiator issues and solution
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX & STi radiator issues and solution within the Engine forums, part of the Vendor's Forum category; As most of you know our car are very sensitive to cooling system issues. A small air bubble in the ...

WRX & STi radiator issues and solution

As most of you know our car are very sensitive to cooling system issues. A small air bubble in the cooling system can be very hard to eliminate and cause serious and many times catastrophic problems. Unfortunately one of the week links in this system is the plastic end-tanks on the car's factory radiator. Every year during the first big heatwave we have dozens of customers calling up saying their cars are overheating. Most end up with the same problem: A cracked radiator!

The nice thing is the aftermarket has addressed this problem and all aluminum radiators are readily available.

We keep in stock a large inventory of both the Mishimoto and Koyo all aluminum radiators.
    The Mishimoto is a 2 row all aluminum radiator that comes complete with a 1.3 bar cap, fan mounting bolts, and a magnetic drain plug. This radiator is made to fit all 02-07 WRX & STi models.

The Koyo is a 3 row all aluminum radiator made by one of the most trusted names in racing and performance cooling. These radiators come in 2 flavors. One with a cap above the upper water neck and one without a cap above the upper water neck (you will need to re-use your old cap or purchase a new one as they do not come with caps). Either style can be used on any WRX or STi if you wish to convert your system to a 2 cap system.

These can be found here: http://preracing.com/catalog/index.p...c-21_33_36_241

It's not totally known what causes the factory radiators plastic end tanks to crack so easily but we have seen cars as new as 2008 have this issue.

Some tips to keeping your car running cool for the summer:
    1. Be sure to use the proper coolant mix.
    2. Be sure your coolant is topped off and all air bubbles are out of the system
    3. Get an upgraded radiator cap (1.3 bar or 19psi) this will keep your system from overflowing into your coolant bottle if it does happen to get a little hot. Also, depending on the age of your car your cap may be beginning to corrode or fail.
    4. Use some kind of coolant additive such as the Redline Water Wetter (also available in the same section of our store as the radiators)
    5. If you do start to overheat (not fully blown overheating, but creeping into the red) , turn off your A/C, turn on your heater, and roll down all your windows.

additional goodies:
    - Silicon radiator hoses. Handle heat and pressure without cracking or deforming. Much less likely to rupture under stress.
    - Air diverter plates. Help keep air channeled at and through your radiator.

Hope this helps! Try and keep cool out there!
    Last edited by PRE-Erich; 07-08-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    Erich Uhlman
    Performance Race Engineering - www.PREracing.com
    13339 NE Airport Way. Portland, OR 97230
    503-619-0055
    google map
    Follow Us on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not sure if replacing the caps to a different pressure is a wise idea. It could cause the stock hoses to get to pressurized and possible leak.

Everything else I agree with. I have the Mishimoto and really like it.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Not sure if replacing the caps to a different pressure is a wise idea. It could cause the stock hoses to get to pressurized and possible leak.

Everything else I agree with. I have the Mishimoto and really like it.
    It's true but the mishimoto uses a 1.3 bar cap and it's always a good idea to match caps. Anyways, stock hoses should hold 1.3bar (19psi) just fine unless they are already in poor shape and need to be replaced anyways.
    Erich Uhlman
    503-619-0055
    google map
    Follow Us on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook

As I know a few of you have noticed this winter, extreme cold is just as hard on a cooling system as extreme heat. Like always, we have both the Mishimoto and the Koyo radiators in stock as well as a wide variety of cooling plates, hoses, radiator caps, and overflow tanks.
    Erich Uhlman
    503-619-0055
    google map
    Follow Us on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    I hear Koyo makes radiators for the foresters now!

I want one please!
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

I found Koyo radiators for a THIRD of your price, not knockin ya', just letting you know

Koyo makes stock replacements which is probably what you are referring to. It's a single core with plastic end tanks just like the OE part. We sell them for $189 but currently don't have them listed on our website. On our website we list the racing full aluminum triple core 53mm radiators. If you find those for 1/3 our price let me know so I can buy all their inventory instead of Koyo direct
    Erich Uhlman
    503-619-0055
    google map
    Follow Us on Twitter
    Like us on Facebook

bump this to the top for great deals on cooling solutions
    bobby@preracing.com
    Performance Race Engineering
    503-619-0055

preracing.com
    Follow us on Twitter
    Friend us on MySpace

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.