step by step PCV valve change w/ pics - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on step by step PCV valve change w/ pics within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by WRXcruiser i think its your computer. i see the pictures. Yep, I guess they block the pics ...

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcruiser View Post
    i think its your computer. i see the pictures.
    Yep, I guess they block the pics at work; working fine at home. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Am i wrong to think the little tube below the PCV valve should be atached to the PCV valve

I got to it and it is just exposed. I would most likely think it should be connected. Oh the asshatery of the previous owner never ceases.

So the hose does connect right. The valve doesn't just drip on to an open pipe below.

I am serious BTW. I don't know what this thing does.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0018.jpg  

i cant tell what the hell im lookin at in that picture, but yes there should be a hose over the pcv valve

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alotatickets View Post
    i cant tell what the hell im lookin at in that picture, but yes there should be a hose over the pcv valve
    yeah I fail at life.

And this hose has not been conected for awhile. Anyone know what problems this could have created.

i had a check engine light for the past few days now, and decided to get it diagnosed at a local shop near my place, they told me it was a pvc valve ...

could what your explaining be the cause of my check engine light? or does it have nothing to do with it?

if thats the case, screw the 300 bucks they're charging me to relieve the problem.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nu2Subaru View Post
    i had a check engine light for the past few days now, and decided to get it diagnosed at a local shop near my place, they told me it was a pvc valve ...

could what your explaining be the cause of my check engine light? or does it have nothing to do with it?

if thats the case, screw the 300 bucks they're charging me to relieve the problem.
    Oh, this is a pain in the ass. 3 hours in only half done

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Oh, this is a pain in the ass. 3 hours in only half done
    haha comeon now, it's not that bad, i pulled the turbo out of my STi in less than 3hrs

you'll get it
    Aspen white/gold 03 sedan *SOLD*
    Aspen white/gold 06 STi STG2 Bailey ProTuned

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kessler89 View Post
    haha comeon now, it's not that bad, i pulled the turbo out of my STi in less than 3hrs

you'll get it
    Well you have to take into account I had never removed the inter cooler before. I also had to drive to Walmart at 10pm to get a 19mm wrench which was one size bigger that my biggest metric wrench. That damn thing was a pain to get out of there. I tried my hardest to make do without the wrench but it wouldn't budge. I feel much better knowing it is actually functioning. I think the BOV resurc tube it entirely too close to the hose for the pcv valve.

Oh and three hours to get it off and one to get it all back together.
    Last edited by Not-EWRX; 12-21-2007 at 10:02 AM.

go for it..it costs like 5.00 to swap the valve.
    it only took me about 15 mins to swap the pcv valve w/ an extra set of hands. its really easy for me to get the turbo inlet hose back on b/c my small girl hands can grab it under the I/C and pull it onto the turbo, while my friend holds the i/c for me and keeps it lined up. before you put the hoses back on make sure your I/C bracket is above the mounting bracket on the drivers side, no brainer but a friendly reminder to save time.
    2005 WRX Wagon stg 1 - 3/12 to present
    1996 BMW 328is coupe - 5/11 to present

02 WRX wagon stg 2 - history

WTB: Cobb Accessport ap-sub-001 for 2005 WRX

it sucks that the IC has to be removed to replace this because my IC is a PITA to remove. its huge and the y-pipe is just barely too small. took me a full day of fidgeting to get it on there with no leaks when i did the turbo swap

if the shop says its the pcv valve than change it yourself its very simple... im no subbie expert but i have a bolt screwed into my pcv valve and my check engine light isnt on. but again i dont know much about subbies. must be nice to have small girl hands when you work on this car i spent an hour trying to get to a hose clamp i dropped.

Havent seen any pics of what the PCV for a 04 WRX looks like, so here they are for all of those out there looking for it. Its not located in the same spot. You dont even have to remove the IC to see it, just look at the gap thats right infront of the turbo. Look down in there and you'll see the PCV. Someone on here said that Subaru made this part so that it does not need to be changed out anymomre, dont know about that. Fromm my understanding they always have to be changed out on cars cause of the buildup they get after so long. Check it out, hope it helps you guys out. paid 12$ or so.

Last edited by Noktrnal1; 01-27-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noktrnal1 View Post
    Someone on here said that Subaru made this part so that it does not need to be changed out anymomre, dont know about that. Fromm my understanding they always have to be changed out on cars cause of the buildup they get after so long.
    That's what the service dept at the stealership told me. It didn't make sense to me either.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    That's what the service dept at the stealership told me. It didn't make sense to me either.
    Yea I dont know man, I've never heard of that. I know that all the cars that I've worked on and that my dad has worked on also has needed to have the PCV changed out from time to time. The only problem with this PCV is that the clips used to hold it onto the hoses are permanent. So you'll need to buy soem clamps and slide them on the hoses before you install the PCV. They did make it alot harder to change it out thats for sure. I still havent done mine but Im getting ready to.

The pictures in the first post are not working anymore - it shows a message from photobucket (where they were hosted) saying it is over quota. If someone can send me the photos I can host them on a server that won't have that problem. And it will help me learn how to do this on an 02 WRX. I just got to 60k so it's time to replace the PCV I guess.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast