EGT tap

This is a discussion on EGT tap within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; This will cover the Omori egt probe install, but most will carry over for all egt taps. You'll need to ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

EGT tap

This will cover the Omori egt probe install, but most will carry over for all egt taps.

You'll need to know what size tap is required and what the appropriate drill bit is.

For the Omori (and some other japanese ones as well) the right tap is 1/8" BSPT, the drill bit is 8.4mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tapdrill.jpg  
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Next you need to decide where to tap- I choose the drivers manifold @ the casting button, convient location and by several accounts one of the best places to measure from (mine is grey because it's been jot hoat coated )

You need to use a drill press IMO and you should clamp the manifold in good- I used several varying wood blocks to accomplish this. I started w/ a 1/8th " drill bit and then stepped up a 1/6th" at a time till the final drill 8.4mm. I used a good "cutting oil" throughout. Go slow w/ steady pressure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 18thdrill.jpg   lastdrill.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Now were ready to tap Make sure the tap is good and squared up. Again go slowly w/ steady pressure. I also used cutting oil w/ the tapping. A turn or so and then back off, a turn or so and then back off. IMPORTANT- only go ~ 1/8th- 1/4" into the manifold w/ the tap- you don't need (want) to go farther- this is a tapered tap and if you go to far it will no longer be tapered.

Clean the threads out well and install the bung. The bung you only want ~ 1/16th" into the manifold- this will be very snug (w/ lots of thread engagement). Most bungs will have threads "left over"- this is OK. Once the bung is installed, the mainifold needs a thorough cleaning inside. I used old rags and then air, don't skimp on this step- you want all shavings out!

Lastly (sorry no photo) test fit your probe- you want it roughly a 1/3 to half way in the manifold- you can easily see the probe w/ the manifold off. When you get it where you want situated- mark at the bung w/ permanent marker. This is so when you have it installed back on your car you will kow exactly how far to seat the probe (you won't be able to see in there now ).

Again these directions are specific for the Omori egt probe, install on yours may differ slightly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tapstart.jpg   tapdone.jpg   bunginstall.jpg  
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 03-12-2005 at 03:19 PM.

good job... ... ill probably use that someday
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

good writeup.

Thanks again for the volumes of valuable info.
    A lot of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more more is...

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks. I always try and take pics if someone hasn't written anything up, figured someone might find this handy .

I know this is strange, but i keep going over the horible instructions that came with the gauge before I do the install, and the instructions that came with my gauge says PT 1/8th thread. And i keep seeing on some forums that its BSPT 1/8th ? Did they get the thread pitch wrong in the instructions like 5 times? I know there are alot of errors in instructions other then that too.
    Will #1
    LISC #2

i talked to a place today that will install my autometer gauges, they want to put the pyrmeter sensor probe into the Downpipe, that sounds fishy to me, what do you think?
    www.kiowapilots.com

Quote Originally Posted by HiCkS
    i talked to a place today that will install my autometer gauges, they want to put the pyrmeter sensor probe into the Downpipe, that sounds fishy to me, what do you think?

pyrmeter?I assume you're talking about EGT probe. Look the other way and don't look back .

yeah i just did a bunch of searching, i told them i wanted it in the exhaust manifold but then he said they would have to unbolt the uppipe, and i said no, so they said its cheaper for the downpipe.

Im gonna go with the drivers side manifold, and possibly do it myself, either way im not taking it there.
    www.kiowapilots.com