taking off intake silencers?

This is a discussion on taking off intake silencers? within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; hey, i have been looking around doing searches and reading all kinds of stuff about BOVs. i am intrested in ...

taking off intake silencers?

hey, i have been looking around doing searches and reading all kinds of stuff about BOVs. i am intrested in them, but have read they are worthless execpt for the noise, (which i want) and they even can have some negative effects on ur car in the long run.....so a little later i saw a thread on taking off the intake silencers.....i think i remember the thread talking about how it makes the noise of your turbo more noticeable, and may even have push out a similar noise effect between shifts? is that true? if this is a good alternative to BOVs please let me know! and also, ive read it is a simple procedure in taking it off, so some tutorial or links to one you know are appreiciated!.....im new to all this stuff, but i think i have figured out i want DPs and UPs first, and even though i dont NEED a BOV i would like to get it or try takin off thoes silencers....any suggestions, tips, links again appreiciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    every time anyone asks to drive my car - even valets I say "no". when they say "what's the big deal?" I say "would you let someone wear your underwear? would you let someone have sex with your girlfriend? ....same thing."

It's easy to do but you still won't hear the BOV much at all...it's really subtle.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

I did a K & N drop in panel filter first, and noticed louder turbo spool up and such. I did the silencer delete elbow months later, and no new sounds. If you take it out and look at it, it is easy to modify it yourself. A saw and some crazy glue. No need to spend $40. I have an HKS bov, so I can not comment on that particular noise.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

I removed my intake resonator about one week after I got the car. Definitely got some more noise, but not like a BOV. When the turbo started spooling, I could hear a nice "compressing" sound, but I never heard the pshht sound on a shift. It sounded like a semi on the highway instead. I drove like that for about a year and a half, then got the GP Moto elbow cheap from this board. That really killed the sound, but I like having the use of the intake snorkel again. At this point I consider it more weight reduction than anything else.

There was no difference in performance at any point, at least nothing I could notice. If you want noise, do it on the exhaust side. At least that way you'll be faster. BOVs, CAIs, and all that other stuff just screw up your MAF sensor (theoretically, anyway).
    ribonucleic acid freakout

I took the snorkle off on my 02 when I had just a cat-back and it deffinately added some turbo noise I could hear mine blow off as well but you have to have the windows up and the music off. Then just floor it in like 3rd or something and when it hits full spool just put the clutch in. You should hear a subtle whoosh sound.

SPT high flow intake sounds like a BOV

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by colorofthewave View Post
    SPT high flow intake sounds like a BOV
    Thread is almost 3 years old. The SPT intake wasnt even made when this thread was created.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Thread is almost 3 years old. The SPT intake wasnt even made when this thread was created.
    haha then you know im obviously new here.