Subaru WRX Forum banner

Crank Pully Install?

10K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  ltgardner40 
#1 ·
Anyone have a tutorial for a lightened crank pulley?

#2 ·
try search at nasioc.com or clubwrx.net or scoobymods.com

I installed mine in about an hour. You don't need any special tools, but will need one person to apply on brake while you break the crank pulley bolt loose...

Tim

#3 ·
the brake doesnt do anything... learned that myself two nights ago. just put it in 5th gear and it will only have a little play in it.
bryan

#4 ·
There is a shortcut which may not be safe to do, but it worked for me. I found it on the forums a long time ago and did the install a long time ago so you may want to look it up first. It involves cranking the engine for a second to break the nut loose on the crank pulley. Have someone in the front of the car holding the nut with a breaker bar or something long enough to hold onto without having your hand by the other pullies and have the other person crank the engine for a second. It worked like a charm for me.

#6 ·
pull the fuse for the ignition if you use the method above. however, its really not necessary... just get a nice breaker bar and dont hold back :).
bryan

#8 ·
Trainrex said:
Bryan is correct. The easiest way is with the car in fifth, e-brake on, and using a breaker bar or extended 1/2 ratchet. A pipe on a ratchet will also work if you don't have the correct tools.
sounds like fun.... I am going to have help from a guy I know who has a shop near me where they turbo V-TEC's. He said its easy.

ps: your avatar is awsome

#11 ·
?

What about matching the torque specs? It has to be between 91-94 I hear, but how the hell will I know how much torque I am putting down. Is this reall a smart mod to do by yourself? My friend did his on another car and tightened it too much snapping the bolt. And I dont want it to be too loose? So what do you guys think?

#12 ·
webster said:
What about matching the torque specs? It has to be between 91-94 I hear, but how the hell will I know how much torque I am putting down. Is this reall a smart mod to do by yourself? My friend did his on another car and tightened it too much snapping the bolt. And I dont want it to be too loose? So what do you guys think?
Use a torque wrench to measure torque.

If your friend snapped the crank bolt, he was REALLY tightening it. :eek3:

#17 ·
I'm just posting this for future reference,but I just installed the cobb light weight pulley. This forum helped a bit but left out a bit. Tools I used were 1/2" drive breaker bar I believe it was the 24". Strap wrench 22mm socket, and a trust worthy friend. To remove I used the engine bump method. First I removed both accessory belts, and the plastic air scoop (not sure what its n once allame is)so once all that is out the way put the breaker bar on the bolt for the pulley, make sure you or your friend is strong because the engine will take you fort a ride if you don't hold that breaker bar in place. As a side note don't lean on any hoses for your power steering if you happen to do this,youll end up needing to flush the system later. So now, you or your friend needs to bump the engine. Ifsuccessful the bolt will be loose take it the rest of the way by hand. I had to bump the engine twice. To put the new one in place the pulley in position, hand tighten the bolt. Now get your strap wrench, wrap it around the new pulley and you can use the alternator pulley for resistance. Have you or your friend hold the strap wrench in place, as so it will not come free from where it is now wedged and the other tighten the bolt. I did not torque it to specs as I do not have a torque wrench. After you test drive you may want to retighten this bolt. The heating and cooling process may loosen it a bit. I am no mechanic but this worked for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.