This alternate method for uppipe install?

This is a discussion on This alternate method for uppipe install? within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Has anyone considered or attempted to install the uppipe by removing the turbo and uppipe (as one piece) from the ...

Question This alternate method for uppipe install?

Has anyone considered or attempted to install the uppipe by removing the turbo and uppipe (as one piece) from the top of the engine, then removing the old uppipe, and bolting on the new uppipe to the turbo (which is still out of the car), then dropping the turbo and uppipe back into the car? Another words, almost everything would be done from under the hood, not under the car.

I was just thinking that it would be possible to:

1. remove the IC (if needed)
    2. unbolt the turbo and lower bolts of the uppipe
    3. pull the turbo/uppipe assembly out
    4. attach new uppipe to turbo
    5. reinstall turbo/new uppipe assembly
    6. bolt up the bottom of uppipe
    7. reinstall IC
    8. finished?

Of course, I have never done a uppipe install, so I am sure I am leaving some stuff out.... This just sounds easier to me than the traditional instructions posted on various WRX websites....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone tried this??? I'm wandering myself....

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    well...you still hafta mess w/ the dp, cause the turbo ain't moving till u remove that big ass exhaust thats hangin off one side of the turbo. also, for some ppl, its harder to use your method cause removing the turbo involves more work ie plugging up the coolant and stuff, and its just more work to mess w/.
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I don't think it will work. The up-pipe will not come out unless you take the engine mount bolts off and raise the engine a couple of inches. The cat gets in the way.
    Thanks,
    Ali

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Prince Ali
    I don't think it will work. The up-pipe will not come out unless you take the engine mount bolts off and raise the engine a couple of inches. The cat gets in the way.
    whats cool is, if you already have anaftermarket catless uppipe, you dont hafta raise the engine to take out the uppipe
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Re: This alternate method for uppipe install?

Originally posted by Lightsped
    Has anyone considered or attempted to install the uppipe by removing the turbo and uppipe (as one piece) from the top of the engine, then removing the old uppipe, and bolting on the new uppipe to the turbo (which is still out of the car), then dropping the turbo and uppipe back into the car? Another words, almost everything would be done from under the hood, not under the car.

I was just thinking that it would be possible to:

1. remove the IC (if needed)
    2. unbolt the turbo and lower bolts of the uppipe
    3. pull the turbo/uppipe assembly out
    4. attach new uppipe to turbo
    5. reinstall turbo/new uppipe assembly
    6. bolt up the bottom of uppipe
    7. reinstall IC
    8. finished?

Of course, I have never done a uppipe install, so I am sure I am leaving some stuff out.... This just sounds easier to me than the traditional instructions posted on various WRX websites....
    Yes, in fact this is the preferred way to do it for many shops. However, as mentioned there are a few other steps you need to do like disconnect the downpipe from the turbo, heat shields.

You are for the most part correct in you can remove the turbo and uppipe at the same time. HOWEVER, when re-installed things do it slightly different. Put the uppipe in first and connect it to your headers/manifold first and get that done first. This is the notorious spot where most of the leaks come from. Then install the turbo back to the uppipe and then downpipe and connect the oil and coolant lines back up, etc...

I've done this a couple of times on my car and it's a no brainer as long as you have no nuts/bolts that won't come loose The oil and coolant lines can be disconnected if the engine is cool without much leaking out at all. Hardly any fluid mess.

Carlo

I Support ClubWRX
    oh yeah, hey carlo - about removing the turbo - how much more hassle is it when it comes to removing the coolant lines and stuff when u take out the turbo? is there any worries about getting air in the lines (like getting air bubbles in ur brake lines)?
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I Support ClubWRX
    also, i found a thread on i-club where someone asked the exact same question here
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I don't see how air getting in there is going to hurt anything. It's not like you hooking the line up to an air compresor and filling the whole thing with air

When you done the turbo install you will want to top off your fluids and then go for a drive around the block. Then top both oil and coolant again. Probably wise to keep an eye on them for a day or two but no biggy.

BTW, my first time out I had no choice but to go the turbo route. I was going to jack the motor up and pull it from the bottom but no matter what type of breaker bar I used, I could not budge the motor mount. So off with the turbo...

Carlo

If you do it as you're saying, with uppipe still connected to the turbo, my question would be this. After you have everythign re-installed, do you need to do something like unplug the sparkplug wires so it won't start and then crank the engine for about 5-10 seconds to re-cycle the oil and coolant in and around the turbo housing?

install on uppipe

What's Up Fellas? I Just Got My Suby About A Month Ago And Am About Ready To Do My Uppipe. I Used To Have A Camaro But The Thing Was Giving Mr To Much Trouble So I Got Rid Of It And Got A Wrx Instead. Anyway This Motor Is Totally Forein To Me And I Could Us Some Tips On The Install With This Upipe. I Have Read The Standard Way Of Doing This Then Stumbled Across Your Thread About Installaling It By Taking The Turbo Off From The Top With The Uppipe Attatched, I Guess I Am Wondering If That Is Actually Possible Without To Many Problems. Carlo Seems To Be Pretty Sure About It But I Just Wanted To Make Sure Before I Get Started That It Is Possibleto Do It That Way. Thanx

I Support ClubWRX
    holy back from the dead batman

This thread is 5 years old!!!!!!!
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

DUB
    And it is really easy to read Havok's post with every word capitalized.