DIY Oil Catch Can
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on DIY Oil Catch Can within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Credit for this goes to AUTOBOT @ www.hyundaiperformance.com. Original thread: http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/fo...ic.php?t=46353 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Here is a how to on building an ...

Arrow DIY Oil Catch Can

Credit for this goes to AUTOBOT @ www.hyundaiperformance.com.

Original thread: http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/fo...ic.php?t=46353
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a how to on building an oil separator (catch can) for $15.
    Most units run anywhere from $30+ and just shoving a breather filter on will still allow oil to drip past.

You need a few things from home Depot

You will find these with the air compressor accessories. It is a water separator, and a couple fittins and some thread lock.

Here is a close up of the water separator.

You can discard the filter that comes in it.

Wrap the thread lock around the fitting. (Of course this is easier with two hands.)

It should look like this.

Once you are done, screw the fittings in to the separator. Your finished product will look like this.

It is now ready to be installed in the car.

Happy motoring.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks.

how exactly do you hook this up? where do the lines come from / go to?

placement

I know this mounts in the breather hose between the crank case and intake. Could someone post a pic pointing this hose out? Or maybe someone can take a stab at describing where it is. At least better than I could.

* its the thing that goes into the thingy and you put that one thing in with that first thingy . . . . . . .*

Thanks.

Eric
    2008 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T
    2003 Subaru WRX Cobb Stg 2
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6
    1984 Porsche 928S

Re: placement

Originally posted by EWRX

* its the thing that goes into the thingy and you put that one thing in with that first thingy . . . . . . .*
    This good thread gave me an idea.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3398

Hey mods, maybe this should go into the MASTER TUTORIAL STICKY.

Later, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Forgive my ignorance but can anyone post a pic of where you would hook up the catch can to? I can't say I've studied this aspect of the WRX engine very well.

I have seen numerous pics of where people have mounted their catch cans but not a good pic of what to actually hook it up to.

bump. Someone must have a pic of this!

Sorry bro, I wish I had a digital camera.

I know! Somebody send me one so I can post pics!

I installed mine earlier this week. I have put about 160 miles on it commuting and then thrashed the car for about 20 miles after work today. I couldn't see anything in the can while it was in the car, but when I unscrewed it and wiped it out w/ a paper towel I could tell that there was definitely a film of oil on the plastic.

I can see how over a period of time this could be bad for the turbo/engine.

Koji, this pic from the thread I linked to seems to lay the connections out best for me.

Later, T.J.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails connect_overview_mk.jpg  
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

anyone has a picture of fully installed kit?

um, is there a easier way to install this, i was looking at an oil catch can, and it seemed to only have two tubes, one coming into the can, and one going to the turbo inlet tube. um, i was thinking just putting it in the line that goes to the turbo inlet, and put the diy can in line. any ideas?
    I LOVE WINTER!!!!

???? i wanted to make it today, so i am wondering, can i do it like a normal catch can ?
    I LOVE WINTER!!!!

ok, i did mine today, and i basically put it in line with the intake and the metal tube next to the ic. but i ran the tubes to the side near the boost collinoid (sp).

i will get a pic tommorrow

can some one explain the other filter line, the one near the throtle body, C and D
    Last edited by dippi; 07-22-2004 at 09:32 PM.
    I LOVE WINTER!!!!

o btw, i would leave that white filter in there. and i installed it backwards, because the point of the catch can is to catch all the crap and not allow anything back into the turbo and engine. so therefore after really studying the design of the little catch can, the vapors should go into the filter then collect and then into the interior of the tube and then up and out. this way u keep everything in there.
    I LOVE WINTER!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.