Subaru WRX Forum banner

DIY Oil Catch Can

19K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  ReX_N 
#1 ·
Credit for this goes to AUTOBOT @ www.hyundaiperformance.com.

Original thread: http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=46353
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a how to on building an oil separator (catch can) for $15.
Most units run anywhere from $30+ and just shoving a breather filter on will still allow oil to drip past.

You need a few things from home Depot

You will find these with the air compressor accessories. It is a water separator, and a couple fittins and some thread lock.

Here is a close up of the water separator.

You can discard the filter that comes in it.

Wrap the thread lock around the fitting. (Of course this is easier with two hands.)

It should look like this.

Once you are done, screw the fittings in to the separator. Your finished product will look like this.

It is now ready to be installed in the car.

Happy motoring. :wiggles:

See less See more
#5 ·
placement

I know this mounts in the breather hose between the crank case and intake. Could someone post a pic pointing this hose out? Or maybe someone can take a stab at describing where it is. At least better than I could.:)

* its the thing that goes into the thingy and you put that one thing in with that first thingy . . . . . . .*

Thanks.

Eric

#6 ·
#7 ·
Forgive my ignorance but can anyone post a pic of where you would hook up the catch can to? I can't say I've studied this aspect of the WRX engine very well.

I have seen numerous pics of where people have mounted their catch cans but not a good pic of what to actually hook it up to.

#9 ·
Sorry bro, I wish I had a digital camera.

I know! Somebody send me one so I can post pics!:D

I installed mine earlier this week. I have put about 160 miles on it commuting and then thrashed the car for about 20 miles after work today. I couldn't see anything in the can while it was in the car, but when I unscrewed it and wiped it out w/ a paper towel I could tell that there was definitely a film of oil on the plastic.

I can see how over a period of time this could be bad for the turbo/engine.

Koji, this pic from the thread I linked to seems to lay the connections out best for me.

Later, T.J.

#12 ·
um, is there a easier way to install this, i was looking at an oil catch can, and it seemed to only have two tubes, one coming into the can, and one going to the turbo inlet tube. um, i was thinking just putting it in the line that goes to the turbo inlet, and put the diy can in line. any ideas?

#14 · (Edited)
ok, i did mine today, and i basically put it in line with the intake and the metal tube next to the ic. but i ran the tubes to the side near the boost collinoid (sp).

i will get a pic tommorrow

can some one explain the other filter line, the one near the throtle body, C and D

#15 ·
o btw, i would leave that white filter in there. and i installed it backwards, because the point of the catch can is to catch all the crap and not allow anything back into the turbo and engine. so therefore after really studying the design of the little catch can, the vapors should go into the filter then collect and then into the interior of the tube and then up and out. this way u keep everything in there.

#16 ·
ok, i got to compare my 04 to an 02/03, and i have a sensor or something at the end of there C and D are. so i can only have A and B in my oil catch can. i am just informing everyone. but ive had my catch can in my car for about 500 miles and the little white filter is full of black and brown crap.

I TOTALLY RECOMEND doing this oil catch can. so far the return vac line to the turbo inlet is clean. it has a little residue, but thats to be expected. i would say 98% of all the crap is in the filter and the catch can. but i would leave the white filter in the can, it acts very well, and i would install opposite to the arrow on the line, because that way the oil is pushed through the filter and not pulled through.

#17 ·
is this safe?

when i bought my compressor thing it says
"warning EXPLOSION Avoid synthetic oils, chemicals, solvents, paints, which may cause bowl failure.
If damaged replace bowl immediately." so is it safe? cause i'm using synthetic oil, is anyone else using synthetic oil? no problems? plz tell me ur experiences with it, how many miles using oil catch can?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.