STi intercooler sprayer - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi intercooler sprayer within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; So lets make a list of part numbers for this install... The check valve is: 786634050 The I/C Spray Button ...

So lets make a list of part numbers for this install...

The check valve is:

The I/C Spray Button is:
    XXXXXXXXX

The rear window pump is:
    XXXXXXXXX

Anyone that has the info, please fill in the blanks!
    Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What exactly is a check valve? I have this pump system setup and don't recall installing a check valve. Thanks.

Washer Pump

Say I were to use a two position switch (on/off) instead of the STI switch. How exactly would I wire that to the Blue/black wire under the steering column? Would I cut the blue/black wire and put the switch in the middle or would I just splice off that wire and hook to one side of switch then ground the other?

Basically your intercooler sprayer button is taking the place of the wagon's rear washer button. In the sedan there is no rear button and thus nothing to continue the circuit (if there was a pump there). You'll need to cut (or at least splice) the blue/black wire, extend that wire to you switch as the positive lead (it's just waiting to be grounded) and attach a ground to your switch (everytime you hit the switch it completes the circuit and powers the pump). This is just the easiest thing to so since Subaru already put the wiring down throught the harness. Buy a wagon OEM rear washer pump (it's plug and play).

Putting the switch in the middle would not work because it has no way of being ground in the steering column (that is what the stock wagon rear washer button does - i.e. what your intercooler button is doing-)

I hope that makes sense and help you out.

Todd

Originally posted by wrxtasy555
    Basically your intercooler sprayer button is taking the place of the wagon's rear washer button. In the sedan there is no rear button and thus nothing to continue the circuit (if there was a pump there). You'll need to cut (or at least splice) the blue/black wire, extend that wire to you switch as the positive lead (it's just waiting to be grounded) and attach a ground to your switch (everytime you hit the switch it completes the circuit and powers the pump). This is just the easiest thing to so since Subaru already put the wiring down throught the harness. Buy a wagon OEM rear washer pump (it's plug and play).

Putting the switch in the middle would not work because it has no way of being ground in the steering column (that is what the stock wagon rear washer button does - i.e. what your intercooler button is doing-)

I hope that makes sense and help you out.

Todd
    So basically all I have to do is cut the blue/black wire, hook one end of the switch to it and the other end to a ground?

Assuming you have an OEM rear washer pump install in your washer fluid bottle and plugged in to the stock harness, yes. It's just that simple.

Todd
    Last edited by wrxtasy555; 07-22-2004 at 08:58 AM.

Originally posted by wrxtasy555
    Assuming you have an OEM rear washer pump install in your washer fluid bottle and plugged in to the stock harness, yes. It's just that simple.

Todd
    Not to be stupid or anything, I just need some clarification. I take the blue black wire and cut it, take the part the goes toward the engine bay that hooks up to the pump and splice one side of the switch in. Then I run a wire from the other side of the switch to a ground. Everytime the button is pressed it will ground out the system and complete the circuit and make it spray. I would just leave the other part of the blue/black wire that is going to the steering console somewhere unhooked.

Sound correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    There two distinct sprayer tanks the USDM is smaller than the spec C one

The RA is 12 liters, definitely bigger, but uncertain by how much. It's possible the US one is right inbetween the wsher bottle size and the spec c one
    Wooo thread back from the dead... Anybody know if the RA tank has any sort of baffling to prevent massive water slosh? Trying to evaluate the feasibility of some evil plans for an IC sprayer... Also, if the USDM tank (the smaller one) will fit in my 04 Rex that would be interesting too.

I can't seem to find the parts such as the sti IC spray switch, sprayers, and the STi splitter (2003 with 2 spray nozzle ports) on rallispec's web site. They have changed there site and now I can't seem to locate it. Anyone know any other websites that have these parts?

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    rallispec still has them, but these gys do to

http://www.racecompengineering.com/product-engine4.htm
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I know many people do this conversion for tmic. how effective is it for a fmic? I was thinking co2 but was not sold on the idea yet. Nice write up on the install.
    2002 wagon 83k miles
    perrin short ram, inlet & fmic, perrin / samco hoses and fuel rails, bosal dp. erz upp, borla catback, sti ra gears w/ stock 5th, act clutch & fly, vf30, AP, perrin end links, critical cooling kit, hks bov, perrin 4pot brakes, rota wheels, hid w/ levals

Racenut3.0 - said
    "The worst thing about the AP is it did not come with any fairy dust. I wanna fly dammit!"

Thanks Big Sky that really helped me out!

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid gti 2
    I know many people do this conversion for tmic. how effective is it for a fmic? I was thinking co2 but was not sold on the idea yet. Nice write up on the install.

I don't know why it would be any less effective on a FMIC. Mitsu was putting it on the EVO when it first came out.

It's cheap (DIY Home Depot style) and fun to do!

Jus du eeet!! Ju no u wanna du eeet.

Edit: I just thought of one disadvantage of spraying water on a FMIC. If you are at the drag strip you have to be more careful not to over spray because it seems more prone to dripping on the ground than my TMIC setup, and dripping ANY fluid will get you kicked off the track.

Later, T.J.
    Last edited by T.J.; 01-29-2005 at 07:16 PM.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

rallispec still has them, but these gys do to http://www.racecompengineering.com/product-engine4.htm
    Holy crap, they're charging $170 for a button and two nozzles??? Ridiculous!!

try:
    http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/wrx-drivetrain.html

Sometimes they charge a little much for shipping but I have never had any other problems and they only charge $38 for the STi button and nozzles.

Todd

Exclamation Need help with switch install

Hey everyone. First post here but a long time WRX owner.

I've spent most of the day working on this mod but I'm stuck now.

I'm trying to use the existing wiring that is for the second pump for the wagons rear washer. I've installed the second washer pump, installed the vacuum line, I've taken apart the steering column and located ( I think ) the blue and black wire that comes from the engine bay (I had to disconnect a clip under the steering column and the blue/black wire seems to just dead end there in a clip). I am now trying to get power to the switch.

I am using a simple toggle switch from Autozone with only two connectors in the back. The pump I bought has two wires coming from it, one positive one negative (of course), but now I'm wondering which wire goes to which.

Does the blue/black striped wire in the engine bay need to connect to the Positive or Negative wire from the new pump? Then I would assume that the white and green wire would go to the other wire.

Do I need to connect the white/green wire to the switch as well as the blue/black wire? I've tried connecting the blue/black wire to the switch but it doesn't activate the pump

Desperate for some help...car is apart in the driveway waiting for a cool spray.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.