knife edging throttle body and gasket matching the intercooler intake pipes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on knife edging throttle body and gasket matching the intercooler intake pipes within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Alright guys, I was bored today so I got out my dremel and here's the resulting carnage. I knife edged ...

knife edging throttle body and gasket matching the intercooler intake pipes

Alright guys,

I was bored today so I got out my dremel and here's the resulting carnage.

I knife edged the leading edge of the throttle butterfly and also the throttle body inlet.

Took about .5 mil off the butterfly and a ton off the bidy intake.

I also cut down the screws on the butterfly to get them out of the airstream.

I didn't test it yet, too fricken cold in Ohio tonight to put it back on.
    But I'll let you know if there is any difference, hopefully not for the worse.

P.S. if you knife edge the butterfly, you MUST leave some of the flat edge intact to effect a good seal when the throttle is closed, otherwise it'll probably cause rough idle.

I didn't spend a whole lot of time making it look pretty, but I just smoothed it best I could with a wire wheel and some rubbing compund and polishing pad.

It looks a little less than smooth but feels real good so I hope it works out.

This is the before picture, see the screws and the huge fat lip on the inlet, well, say goodby. Sorry for the crappy photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_03220.jpg  
    Your Friendly neighborhood Antimullet

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Heres the after shot, the photo doesn't do it justice but the inlet is cleaned up quite a bit and the bolt cutting unblocks the butterfly plate quite well.

You can't really see the butterfly knife edge too well but I'll attach a photo of the backside (untouched side) to show you how thick it was originally.

Oops, heres the after photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_03360.jpg  

Heres a pick with the intake hose in place to show how I ground that huge nasty lip off
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0334.jpg  

Like that huge last pic? me neither sorry.

Heres the butterfly, darn flash messes up the pick but the little lines I put on it is where I beveled it, Same thing here photo doesnt do it justice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_03260.jpg  

cool, i like it.

Please post a followup when you get these installed. This might be something I would like to do myself.
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

OK, just for comparison, this is the back side of the butterfly see how thick and fat the lip is at WOT?

Look at the previous picks and you can kinda sorta see how beveling it reduces the interruption to airflow. But like always the pic doesn't do it justice.

WHat do you guys and gals thick? Am I a kook for doing this? Do you think it'll mess it up or slightly improve airflow?

I'll let you know but I assume it won't register on the butt dyno but Ohwell, like I said I was bored.

I was going to do the turbo until I seen how much the cost of the carbide bits are, forget it! I'll leave that to the pros.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_03310.jpg  

If anyone cares, I just used a dremel and some drum sander attachments and a grind stone, and a small wire wheel attachment to clean it up.

Used a dremel cutoff wheel on the screws and it cuts clean without jacking up the threads.

Just make sure you clean the heck out of everything when you're done.

I also did the two cast aluminum elbows on the underside of the intercooler, if you look at those the gaskets need matched and the ports are rough with sharp edges. I just ground that stuff off the same way.

Not much gains for the work probably, but the sum of the mods eventually will help to improve HP gains.

Wilco SHibby

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by antimullet
    Like that huge last pic? me neither sorry.

Heres the butterfly, darn flash messes up the pick but the little lines I put on it is where I beveled it, Same thing here photo doesnt do it justice.
    Looks nice, I knife-edged my IC elbows, but haven't tackled this yet. Couple of questions:

The lines are before you knife edged it correct? The bottom front of the butterfly (as orientated in the photo) is what needs to remain untouched for it to seal correctly?

Did the stone do most of the work or sanding wheels? Would it matter much which ones you used? I know they make a gizillion attachements, want to get the right ones.

Like you said, probably not large gains, but anything that can improve (smooth) air flow is going to help- look at the IC hoses, MAF hose and turbo inlet pipe of Samco's (and others)- they work and all help as they help smooth out air flow.

Thanks for taking the time to post!

Big Sky

Yea, ya gotta keep the front part of the butterfly that touches the throttle body and seals it partially flat. I just chose to do the bottom of it cause it made sense to me.

Yes, the photo is just showing how much I was going to bevel (almost a comlete semi-circle but I stopped before where the butterfly mounts to the throttle bar.

The butterfly is just brass so I just used a dremel sanding drum attachment so I didn't take too much off.

I also took a black sharpie and marked the edge I was going to bevel so its easier to see where the cut is your making.

I also knife edged the throttle body inlet with the sander then polished it up with an abrasive wheel.

I bought a tungsten cutting bit and finished up the intercooler elbows today.

$9 bucks at home depot for the dremel and worth every penny. those tungsten carbide bits cut REAL well.

I was trying to figure out a way to make a intercooler hose that flows better than the samcos or perrins but can't figure it out.

I wonder if you just make like a sheet metal Y channel and then just connect to the intercooler elbows and turbo with hose?

I think it might cause too much PSI loss though, but it just seems there's got to be a way to straighten out that Y hose (by a different design) to make it flow better without losing PSI.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by antimullet
    Yea, ya gotta keep the front part of the butterfly that touches the throttle body and seals it partially flat. I just chose to do the bottom of it cause it made sense to me.

Yes, the photo is just showing how much I was going to bevel (almost a comlete semi-circle but I stopped before where the butterfly mounts to the throttle bar.

The butterfly is just brass so I just used a dremel sanding drum attachment so I didn't take too much off.

I also took a black sharpie and marked the edge I was going to bevel so its easier to see where the cut is your making.
    I want to make sure I get it right w/ the butterfly- is the picture you show w/ the marks the "bottom" of the butterfly? Are you knife edging the surface of the butterfly closest to the throttle body when closed or the opposite?

Also, I read somewhere somebody had found replacement screws that the head was flat as well- I'll try digging it up.

The STi IC utilizes a metal Y, but it's still the basic shape/design of the Samco.

Big Sky

I Support ClubWRX
    Got mine done yesterday, gets boring when it's -14, now I have to put it back together and it's -17!

Pics of before and after here:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...&postid=469963

I'll add a few tidbits, I started w/ a angled dremel stone to shape the lip, then went to a sanding drum, then utilized a abrasive rouge on a felt attachment and then finally a little Flitz on a felt attachement- polished up pretty nice.

If I was to do it again I would add one step, I'd find a finer sanding drum after the coarser one- would help to smooth things out even further.

I also found some button screws to replace the oe one, thus saving cutting/grinding them off. They utlize a hex head (2.5mm) and are 4mm w/ a ,7 pitch and 8mm long- they are the perfect length- utilize all of the threads, but don't protrude past the butterfly.

The butterfly I also took a small amount of material off (semi-circle) and then polished it as well. One must exercise cuation here as it would be easy to get carried away. I took the material off of the front side portion of the lower butterfly (looking straight into the throttle body- the direction the air is flowing). Thus the butterfly portion that contacts the throttlebody is left in tact.

Big Sky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast