Grounding Mod
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Grounding Mod within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Been reading posts about creating new grounds from the Neg batt. terminal to certain spots in the engine compartment. This ...

Grounding Mod

Been reading posts about creating new grounds from the Neg batt. terminal to certain spots in the engine compartment. This is supposedly supposed to reduce hesitation and increase smoothness of the engine. If I really haven't noticed any hesitation from the engine, is it still worth doing to improve the ECU's ability to monitor what the car is doing?
    '00 2.5RS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From what I've heard from others, the mod is only really worthwhile if you have a piggyback chip like the Unichip. I have a TurboXS Stage 1 and my engine response improved considerably. It used to have a big flat spot right after the turbo kicked in in second gear. It's gone now.

HKS GROUND SYSTEM

Im thinking about getting the HKS Earth Ground System, expensive but worth it. Anyone have or heard of it?
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, my hesitation is all but gone after iv30's grounding mod handiwork. I have it on video, but I still need to capture it on my computer. All it takes is 8 ring terminals and about 20 feet of 8-gauge speaker wire. I spent more than I had to by getting rather expensive ring terminals...you can just get regular cheap ones at a hardware store. I got the speaker wire from a car audio store. It really shouldn't cost you very much at all.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Re: HKS GROUND SYSTEM

Originally posted by Nexus6
    Im thinking about getting the HKS Earth Ground System, expensive but worth it. Anyone have or heard of it?
    I'm with Verdugo, you don't need to buy a kit. Just go buy some good wire and ring terminals. That's all you'll need. No point is getting fancy with this type of "mod" (unless you want colored wires).
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    can someone explain the actual physics/ scientific reasoning behind the grounding mod? i still dont get what it actualy does to help
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Basically When the ecu is taking a measurement from a sensor the value of that measurement can be altered if the ground potential at the sensor is different than the ground potential at the ECU.

on another note:

anyone out there w/ a new WRX notice that there arer lots of ground wires that look like they were added. I just notice lots of grounds that seem to be add ons (lots of electrical tape round the ends)

nick
    Lyve
    _______
    Stock

I know there was a thread on this subject before, but I just did the grounding mod yesturday and I noticed that my boost readings have increases from the regular .09mpa to .10mpa. Now I know there was discussion on if this is the result of more boost or just more accurate readings due to a well gounded system. I've also install the 3/16 connector mod. With these two mods that car seems to be running better and is a little more peppy. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    WR Blue Perl WRX

Originally posted by Penguinking
    can someone explain the actual physics/ scientific reasoning behind the grounding mod? i still dont get what it actualy does to help
    Computers can be easily confused when it comes to differences in "ground". Since the signals are usually based off of a "zero" point (not necessary literally zero), it is possible for the computer to get confused if the zero point is moving around. This would be caused by the ground drifting, which can be avoided by putting multiple grounds down to create a single large one. OK, I know that somewhat oversimplified, but I think you'll get the idea.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by WRXed

Computers can be easily confused when it comes to differences in "ground". Since the signals are usually based off of a "zero" point (not necessary literally zero), it is possible for the computer to get confused if the zero point is moving around. This would be caused by the ground drifting, which can be avoided by putting multiple grounds down to create a single large one. OK, I know that somewhat oversimplified, but I think you'll get the idea.
    i'm starting to understand it

all the sh*t from physics class is comming back to haunt me, i'm starting to recall all that stuff!!!
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

just to play devil's advocate for a moment....if this mod is really so cheap and effective why would subaru not do this at the factory? i personally believe it's all a crock of sh*t but i do have some extra 8 gauge and ring terminals left over from my sub amp install...so what the hell.....kinda like being agnostic and going to church as an insurance policy!
    Mark
    02 WRX Wagon

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by mark5211
    just to play devil's advocate for a moment....if this mod is really so cheap and effective why would subaru not do this at the factory? i personally believe it's all a crock of sh*t but i do have some extra 8 gauge and ring terminals left over from my sub amp install...so what the hell.....kinda like being agnostic and going to church as an insurance policy!
    I don't know for sure, but I only started noticing the hesitation after I got my unichip. From what I've read on I-Club, this mod only REALLY helps those of us that have unichips, since using only the factory ECU, you don't really notice it. I'd say that's why it's not already done at the factory
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

I Support ClubWRX
    .....kinda like being agnostic and going to church as an insurance policy!
    lol

excellent analogy there mark
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Well if Subaru did it in the factory, that would be one less thing for us to tweak... Maybe it doesn't really work. Its like the old trick of installing a toggle switch not connected to anything.. when someone's in the car you flip and and say feel the difference? 9 outta 10 times they always say yes!

Where is this ground mod located

instruction is located??
    Nothing happens until something moves

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.