Grounding Mod - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Grounding Mod within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by bolinp78 I put in 7 ground wires (including a tranny one) into my G35 coupe and didn't ...

Quote Originally Posted by bolinp78
    I put in 7 ground wires (including a tranny one) into my G35 coupe and didn't notice a difference.. Granted its a different car... I just dont see how it would help a stock WRX.
    it all revolves around creating a cleaner electronic environment. if you can ground the components better, they will operate more efficiently. granted, it may be an extremely small percentage of said effeciency, but its still there. some people tend to notice it more than others, and this might have to do with how well the car is wired in the first place... you don't need a HUGE gauge wire. all you need is an average size gauge (10 to 8 gauge should work great, not too big, but not small enough to snag and break). it should have ultra high conductivity and you should also wire brush/file/clean the frame to get perfectly clean connections to the grounding points. the huge gauge everyone is talking about is actually meant for high current, but for this type of grounding, its purely for looks.
    Dave
    01 RS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Question I want to ground my car

But I'm not sure where the ports are. If anyone could help me out with that it would be awesome. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wv_wagoneer View Post
    I bought one of the fleabay kits. I saw nothing. I do like the pretty blue 10 ga wires though My conclusion is that the car was pretty well grounded to begin with. I guess sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, glad you saw some improvement. .
    i'm curious as to what you expected to 'see.' on the cars i've done this to, i've noticed slightly better mileage, and a slightly smoother running motor. it just felt.... 'cleaner' overall. throttle response (on the Z, at least - obviously it'd have to be a drive-by-wire system) was a little cleaner and more accurate. but i wasn't expecting a kick in the ass boost in power or anything.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

Banned
    I have one on my car it's nice. I bought mine for dirt cheap from these guys. http://www.camotoy.com/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    i'm curious as to what you expected to 'see.' on the cars i've done this to, i've noticed slightly better mileage, and a slightly smoother running motor. it just felt.... 'cleaner' overall. throttle response (on the Z, at least - obviously it'd have to be a drive-by-wire system) was a little cleaner and more accurate. but i wasn't expecting a kick in the ass boost in power or anything.
    Dude...are you like the king of resurected threads...or is it just my imagination?

PS...www.worxtuning.com. They have a fairly inexpensive ground wire assembly that works well and is unobtrusive.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

probably a little bit of both - came up in my mailbox from when i'd subscribed years ago, so i thought i'd answer again
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post

PS...www.worxtuning.com. They have a fairly inexpensive ground wire assembly that works well and is unobtrusive.
    +1. Put it on my STI in about 20 minutes and it def. helps smooth things out. "Cleaner" is a good description. Thanks again Scott.

I Support ClubWRX
    Glad you liked it Justin. I too noticed the smoother idle after installing this.

I'd put on on tEh pRIus but I'm afraid of the battery in it
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

old a$$ thread, but i'm sure someone is still interested in grounding stuff and plus i'm stoked on my kit i got.

it's from Flex

they are fairly inexpensive, but when i got the kit...OMG...fit, finish and quality can't be beat!

i thought all this grounding stuff was bs but it's not. changes are subtle, but noticeable. i even got 1mpg better!
    "Let the ingorance die with the ignorant"

Quote Originally Posted by mark5211 View Post
    just to play devil's advocate for a moment....if this mod is really so cheap and effective why would subaru not do this at the factory? i personally believe it's all a crock of sh*t but i do have some extra 8 gauge and ring terminals left over from my sub amp install...so what the hell.....kinda like being agnostic and going to church as an insurance policy!

just like any other manufacturer adding parts becomes expensive if something was going to cost an extra $20 per car and they make 100,000 cars that would be 2 mil up front that the manufacturer would have to shell out before a single car was sold

thought id kick this thread since i'm considering it myself. its what four years? lol. i too have a ton of extra stereo install stuff and this mod finished has three perks.

one, most important. it might work on my car. it might help. louder or cleaner stereo, more mpg, smoother motor? all good.
    two, hey, i did it! and if it worked more the better!
    three. usefully clean up yards of unused wire laying around my garage. this will make the wife happy too.(4???)
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

4: you added some ballast to your car. Even F1 cars carry ballast, so it must be good...!
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345