Grounding Mod - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Grounding Mod within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I'm also curious if this concerns 05 wrx's....

I'm also curious if this concerns 05 wrx's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The first thing to do is find all of the factory grounds- there are several- if they are connected to the chassis and it's painted pull the ground off and make sure the paint has been scraped away- I had several where this wasn't the case.

I went very easy and very oe looking- I used 8 gauge black wire- identical to the ground coming off the neg terminal grounded to the chassis. I ground three additional spots all from the neg post, one to the drivers side head (underneath the dip stick bracket), one to the alternator (back side) and one to the passenger side intake manifold.

I don't think there is any downside to this mod, better grounding can certainly help- it certainly can't hurt.

Big Sky

I looked at the price list in the link posted above. It seems the price for DIY is higher than the kits on fleabay for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

Anyone use one of these kits? Looks like it makes life simpler.

grounding mod

I'm wondering if those who have done the grounding mod can comment on what I have heard from a very reliable source has has extensive work on wrx's. I was told that the wrx's ecu eventually learns it's way around the grounding mod. If is to be true then i guess it isn't really worth it. What do you's think.

i dont understand how the ECU can "learn" to operate inefficiently again around a more efficiently grounded circuit...
    Dave
    01 RS

I agree bigd, but i am lost cause the guy i got the info from has done extensive work to many wrx's. he told me that the small amount of effects from doing the grounding mod would be present for only a short time, say a month, and some how the ecu realizes it and the effects gained from grounding would be lost. I just don't know myself. I am still thinking of doing it anyway though.

i would ask some other tuners... do some searches on nasioc, theres always a lot of tech talk over there.. if you find anything new post it here! i'll do the same cause this has me really thinking.
    Dave
    01 RS

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think I'd have to call . A ground is a ground, nothing to learn around. It's not a larger boost connector that overshoots target boost that can be learned around.

What he may be refering to is that generally the neg lead is removed from the battery when doing the grounding mod and thus resets your ECU to the default AM of 8. If your car was running unhappy before you may have had a very low AM, w/ the reset your car would feel more responsive. If your car is "unhappy" the ECU will relearn and again lower your AM.

The converse could also be true, you have a relatively "happy" car w/ a AM at or near 16- you reset your ECU (again defaults to 8) and now your car is less peppy. Again the ECU if "happy" will relearn and advance the AM upwards (very happy will go to 16).

That's possbily what he is refering to.

Big Sky
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

that makes a lot more sense. i couldn't imagine *how* it could *learn* a grounding improvement..
    Dave
    01 RS

i just read a thread on scoobymods.com and im a little confused.. im a audio nut.. before i had my wrx i had a crv with a lot of audio in it.. i upgraded my battery to a interstate since honestly it didn a lot better then an opitma i had.. then along withthe battery i upgraded the big 3... grounds that is.. battery to frame... tranny to frame.. and engien to frame.. the post from scoobymods said this....

To sum up, wires run:
    1) battery neg to driver side strut tower
    2) battery neg to driver side of manifold
    3) passenger side strut tower to passenger side of manifold

there no BIg 3 as in the honda i had???

by the way when i up graded i uses.. 1/0 gauges street wires cable.. and street wires nickel plated connors.. each cable wa slike 45 bucks.. but its held on like nothing... i had to giev up one of my cables though in the trade in.. so time to go buy another one.. but i feel a huge difference... idle ... audio... and slighty a little hp... guess better grounds...

I bought one of the fleabay kits. I saw nothing. I do like the pretty blue 10 ga wires though My conclusion is that the car was pretty well grounded to begin with. I guess sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, glad you saw some improvement. .
    W#0rEing posts since 2003

Quote Originally Posted by wv_wagoneer
    I looked at the price list in the link posted above. It seems the price for DIY is higher than the kits on fleabay for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

Anyone use one of these kits? Looks like it makes life simpler.
    yeah its liek what 19 bucks for the parts then another 16 bucks to ship it?? you can get allt he wire and stuff cheaper then that .. well i know i do ... i thats because im cool with my installers so i get dealers price on everything... but i mean ... you migth be abel to go down to wall mart and buy a amp wiring kit for like 20 bucks.. i think i havent bougth on in a while.. and DIY ...

Yup was about 35 bucks all told. I looked locally for the parts, when you start up the price for decent wire and connectors it comes close to that. The wire at walwart was nice though. I got the one that was designed for a subaru, so there was no cutting just bolt it all in. I have to admit I put no effort into this. Maybe if I used the finest connectors and wires it would help, but I have my doubts.
    W#0rEing posts since 2003

i know what you mean... but for me it's a little different.. like many peopel say if your goign to do it do it right the first time.. i mean i spent the little extra to put 1/0 wire.. you may think over kill but in my crv it helped.. and the connectors i used were liek 30 bucks for 2.. and i kept those because im not giving up 60 bucks of connectors..

I put in 7 ground wires (including a tranny one) into my G35 coupe and didn't notice a difference.. Granted its a different car... I just dont see how it would help a stock WRX.
    Currently in an '04 G35 Coupe.. I WANT AN STi !!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast