Grounding Mod - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Grounding Mod within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally posted by jedimaster I've read that it's good for a stock rex that has the hesitation in 2nd gear ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by jedimaster
    I've read that it's good for a stock rex that has the hesitation in 2nd gear (mine does)- and that you need 4 guage wire and ring terminals- I bought the wire, but am having trouble finding ring terminals in that size. I've read many times that if your car already has the hesitation, then it'll work, but if it doesn't, leave it alone. Out of curiousity, is 8 guage wire big enough?
    I'm using 8 gauge wire in mine
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here's my grounding mod:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=2

I noticed (what I think is attributable to this mod) a smoothing out of my boost. Instead of getting a little pull at 4000, then level a little, then a pull at 5500, then level a little, it pulls more evenly all the way up. I also have the 3/16" mod.

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by jedimaster
    I've read that it's good for a stock rex that has the hesitation in 2nd gear (mine does)- and that you need 4 guage wire and ring terminals- I bought the wire, but am having trouble finding ring terminals in that size. I've read many times that if your car already has the hesitation, then it'll work, but if it doesn't, leave it alone. Out of curiousity, is 8 guage wire big enough?
    use 4 gauge phoenix gold wire and use gold plated ring connectors - the proper size can be found at any car audio store, i got mine at car toys.

ok ok, so maybe thats going the extra mile, but for added looks (and maybe even function?) its the classier setup to go with.

-Robert
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

there is definitely a split camp on how to do this kit -
    firstly, let me say that i had such a kit (homemade) on my 350Z, and it did make a difference, although not where i thought it would. it DID smooth out the idle and high end of the rev range, no doubt there. but where it made the difference was gas mileage. i know, i was suprised too - it jumped up nearly 4 mpg. now i don't know how many of you have STi's, but i am drinking gas. so that leads me to my next question:
    which kit is better? i have extensive car audio experience, and i'm torn between the 'daisy chain' method of going from various points to ground, or the 'distribution block' method of sonicwrx's. either way seems (logically) that it would work just fine.
    the other question i have is: Can someone please post exact wire lengths - it would make precutting and terminating the wires sooo much easier. thanks!
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

I haven't done it yet, but I'm getting materials together to ground this bad boy. Here's my take on it all. There probably won't be any improvement from 14 gauge on down. Getting a larger wire from that point is mostly for current handling, which isn't going to happen here obviously, it's just grounding. Low resistance is what we're looking for. I have 11 feet of 10 gauge wire that I measure at 0.02 ohms, which is by all accounts more than acceptable. Really, a braid would work best instead of a wire. Braids are how most things are well grounded these days, but it's hard to get round braids, and it's hard to get flat braids w/ insulation. I'm just using this wire cause I figure if it's good enough to ground a CT scanning system, it's good enough for me.

I'd say the gold terminals would be worthwhile, not for resistance by any means, but gold is naturally very corrosion resistant.

I'm going with a common ground, rather than hooking them up all in series (daisy-chained). Series can create ground loops, i believe, and it creates a resistance stack. It just is never as good as going back to the source, or at least one common point of reference. I'm going to use either the negative battery terminal, or the frame, since that's connected directly to the neg terminal. Getting me some fancy blue heat shrink too, since it would look funny seeing all this green/yellow ground wire going around my engine compartment. Blue wire and gold connectors, I'm so bling

Well I did it this weekend. Sucked in the cold, but it wasn't too bad. Grounded 6 spots total, all to the body right next to the neg terminal, since there's a big 8 guage wire going from the body to the neg from the factory. Also, I noticed quite a bit of grounding already. Maybe they did add some to the '04s. Either way, it seems to run a bit smoother overall, starts a bit better in the cold(not faster, just more solidly), and the stereo seems WAY louder! I have the stock unit, and before I'd have it somewhere between 8-14 for the freeway, now it don't get it higher than 6! Not sure why exactly, but wow.

J-H
    Originally posted by DarkMoonLord
    sorry...dont mean to hijack the thread.......
    Me neither, but I got 4 new tires after I got a flat that could not be repaired...like someone here said, it's kinda like having knee surgery if you break your LSD...

chime inn...

JH

J-H
    Originally posted by DarkMoonLord
    sorry...dont mean to hijack the thread.......
    Me neither, but I got 4 new tires after I got a flat that could not be repaired...like someone here said, it's kinda like having knee surgery if you break your LSD...

chime inn...

JH

The 3/32nds is right on the money. It's for all awd vehicles, not just subaru. Subaru just happens to require no less than 3/32nds difference in tread depths. This also means that all the tires must be the same as well, because casing sizes vary from brand to brand. I work at Les Schwab Tires and we are reccomend that all four are replaced if one is ruined, unless you have a replacement within 3/32nds of the other three and the same tread design. We have had to replace differentials because of this. Basically what happens is you have one of your four tires rotating at different speeds it causes strain of the differential and can possibly damage it.

true that.......one of my members at the club is a bigshot at the SOA headquarters here in portland......he verified this emphatically...FSM......where you at locally?
    DML

Here's a great link with what you need to buy, detailed pictures, and exact measurements.

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/index.php?showtopic=5694

I'm over on the eastside in Gresham. Not too many rexes out here.

Well...on the topic of the gorunding mod. I had a Blazer before my rex and my freeze plugs became corroded due to faulty grounding in my car. Needless to say, this was somewhere around 95,000 miles and was not covered by any warranty. They had to pull the engine and it cost me an obscene amount of money. I am going to do this mod purely because i want to save myself the potential $2k bill at 100,000 miles. The last time scared me.

Of course, the shop may have been lying to me and i got worked.
    '04 PSM Wagon. Silver Wagon Club? What is that? Am i in it?

Gah, multi-thread...

On the subject of tires being the same size, Discount Tire warned me of this problem (needing to have damn near the same amount of wear on all of the tires). They also said that they've got a machine to pre-wear a replacement tire if needed, and that that's part of the deal when getting tires there. Yet another reason they get my money

wow, way to pull up old-ass threads...

anyways, does this grounding mod affect 04's, or more specifically, '04 STi's?
    Dave
    01 RS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast