Grounding Mod - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Grounding Mod within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; exactly where do these grounding points go from the battery - there seem to be six - anyone who has ...

exactly where do these grounding points go from the battery - there seem to be six - anyone who has made their own kit - where did you ground to?
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I ran 4 grounds...
    1. to the drivers side strut tower
    2. the drivers side manifold
    3. the passenger side manifold
    4. on the firewall behind the intercooler

I essentially looked for grounds from sensors under bolts and ran grounds there.

edit: This was my 69th post! Whoa hoa!
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

Apparently many people on I-Club are syaing it doesn't work. I went through it and I think that there may be a "correct" way on how to proceed with the ECU(reset at the proper time).

Got the Unichip, had to reset the ECU during the installation since I unplugged the battery. Ran fine for 3 days then hesitation.

Waited for another week and installed one single 4 gauge cable to the intake manifold and reset the ECU. Didn't want to reset the ECU but messed around, lost the bolt behind the battery, etc...
    After the car ran fine for 3 days and the hesitation started again.

A week later, reset the ECU, unplug the grounding mod cable and drove my car for 2 days until the hesitation came back. I got 1 more 4 gauge battery cable. Hooked another point on the intake manifold. And hooked now the 2 cables from the intake manifold to the battery WITHOUT resetting the battery. Everything worked great right away. And now, there is no placebo effect! I had my Wife noticing the hesitation several times, actually she asked me if there was something wrong with the car. She went for a ride again and I asked her if she now notices a difference and she told me she couldn't feel the hesitation. I will not lie, there is a tiny bit sometimes of hesitation when the car is cold. So it will be 4 days now. I will keep you posted in a week or 2. Or whenever the hesitations come back.

I'm not an engineer but a very practical thinking person: I believe after installing the Unichip, the ECU relearned and the car started to be jerky. Adding a grounding mod AND resetting the ECU makes the ECU relearn WITH another piece of hardware and eventually gives the jerkiness again. Adding a grounding mod without resetting the ECU somehow fools the ECU. Now, by writing this I completely understand that the ECU will eventually learn that grounding mod is "there" and start the hesitations again. We'll see. I really hope it can be fooled more or less.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

Thumbs up

im going to try it just to see if i notice a difference..it couldnt hurt trying to smooth the idle!!

they dont tell you this for the same reason they dont tell you about the tire tread having to match so closely or it will dmaage or freeze your LSD!!!
    bummin
    DML

Question

what ds your tire tread have to do with damaging your LCD..and what LCD r u referring to??

i was told that if tire treads are off by more than 3/32s of an inch.....ie. the variance from tire to tire was more than that amount...the computer tries to adjust the power to the wheel differently....causing the Limited Slip Differential (LSD) to freeze up after a couple hundred miles......
    im essence....if you have a flat you must replace ALL four tires or risk expensive LSD repair or replacement
    DML

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    you gotta be kiddin me - after a hard days (or really since its cumulative, several hard driving days) plus some autoxing, my front tires are worn out a hella lot more than the rears - even tho i rotated them, the other 2 never matched treads. also, my left tires are more worn because in daily driving, i take more right turns on the street than i do left turns...kinda odd, but thats how its been
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

i dont know....i was just told that by an SOA rep......maybe a blatant attempt to sell more tires????I need to look further....because if thats the case does anyone know a good lawyer???
    DML

sorry...dont mean to hijack the thread.......

DarkMoonLord,

I freaked out. And I asked Jim/PlatinumWRX/Administrator to see if we could split your post and start a new thread on that one. Maybe you could ask the moderators of that thread as well to do so. Sorry if I went out of my way and bother you or anybody else by doing so. I think it is very serious if an SOA rep was telling you this. Let's try to find out if it's real or not. Man... this forums are getting out of hand... I'm all paranoid now.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

DML, it sounds like a load of crap to me. I seriously doubt that 3/32nds difference between tires would screw up the LSDs in the car. Although the computer is smart, I'm thinking it's not smart enough to know that small of a difference. Now, let's say you put slicks on the front and big mud tires on the back (or one set on each side), then I'm sure that would screw up the LSDs, but I don't think that normal tire wear (because lets be honest, most people don't properly rotate their tires) could damage the LSDs. Anybody else have input, as I'm going on a "gut" feeling here?
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

I tend to agree with you WRXed.....but that is what they said......before anyone 'freaks' , i am investigating this further. Although i tend to agree, i didnt want to take the chance of messing with the car......ive never been a gullible person, and i WAS skeptical, but like i said, i am looking into it more now!!!
    *apologises again for hijacking*
    DML

Yeah, messing up your turbo and you have an excuse to get a bigger turbo, no big deal. When it comes to the transmission , LSD, etc... we are now talking about knee surgery and nobody like those.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

I've read that it's good for a stock rex that has the hesitation in 2nd gear (mine does)- and that you need 4 guage wire and ring terminals- I bought the wire, but am having trouble finding ring terminals in that size. I've read many times that if your car already has the hesitation, then it'll work, but if it doesn't, leave it alone. Out of curiousity, is 8 guage wire big enough?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.