Godspeed Uppipe Installed...tips and observations
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Godspeed Uppipe Installed...tips and observations within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Took me 8.5 hrs...i consider myself a novice mechanic..had 2200 mi at install heres how i think is the easiest ...

Thumbs up Godspeed Uppipe Installed...tips and observations

Took me 8.5 hrs...i consider myself a novice mechanic..had 2200 mi at install

heres how i think is the easiest way

unplug EGT connector under solenoid cover

jack up the car..front right side only

remove front right tire and fenderwall access panel

remove rt exhaust manifold cover (i left the o2 sensor in so the cover was hanging), turbo heatshield and intercooler

LIBERALLY apply bolt loosener to all bolts that need to come out

let it penetrate for say, oh, two beers

remove all bolts from the exhaust hanger (about in the middle) and the downpipe to turbo and let the downpipe down and out of the way

remove the bottom and top bolts to up pipe

remove turbo bracket bolts and pull out the turbo

NOTE: the turbo coolant line needs to be plugged/pinched off or youll lose all your coolant like i did!

pull out the uppipe and the egt probe

put in new up pipe

MOST IMPORTANT...new gaskets and do the BOTTOM up pipe bolts first, and make damn sure theyre tight

put turbo back in place and line up the up pipe and down pipe with it before tightening bolts (i left the turbo heat shield off because theres a bracket welded to stock up pipe that it screws to)

tighten it all down and then the downpipe to exhaust

double check every bolt and torque to specs

reconnect all hoses and intercooler

plug in EGT connection, put ex mani cover back on and youre done!

NOTES

THE RIGHT SIDE BOTTOM BOLT ON THE UPPIPE IS THE TOUGHEST TO GET AT IF YOU DONT TAKE OUT THE O2 SENSOR...I USED A CLOSED END WRENCH TO HOLD THE BACK NUT AND GOT AT THE FRONT NUT WITH A DEEP SOCKET AND EXTENSION FROM THE FRONT OF THE CAR

THREE OF FIVE OF THE TOP UPPIPE WERE FROZEN...IF YOUVE GOT MORE THAN 2000 MILES YOURE GONNA NEED A LOT OF PENETRANT...LET IT SIT FOR A WHILE

USE A SIX POINT SOCKET....STRIP ANY BOLT AND YOUR SCREWED!

DRIVING OBSERVATIONS:

Spools quicker, revs smoother, seems like she wants to rev higher

I SAY IF YOU HAVENT DONE THIS YET...DO IT...ITS WORTH THE SKINNED KNUCKLES
    Silver 2002 WRX...far from stock

An error made on your own is safer that ten truths accepted on faith, because the first allows you the means to correct it, but the second destroys ones ability to distinguish truth from error.--Ayn Rand

That which has been is that which will be, and that which has been done is that wich will be done-so there is nothing new under the sun.-Solomon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How much did you pay for yours and are Godspeed uppipes as good as the best ones out there?

i think it was $200 (plus gaskets...forgot how much they were)

as for quality vs the competition, i have no idea....havent seen any others

its mandrel bent and very smooth, with a solid EGT bung

i think that as long as the pipe is smooth internally it doesnt matter which brand you choose...the main point is the get the restrictive cat out of the turbos way

i have no problem recommending the Godspeed uppipe...dan knows what hes doing
    Silver 2002 WRX...far from stock

An error made on your own is safer that ten truths accepted on faith, because the first allows you the means to correct it, but the second destroys ones ability to distinguish truth from error.--Ayn Rand

That which has been is that which will be, and that which has been done is that wich will be done-so there is nothing new under the sun.-Solomon

i know a friend who got vishnu's- he's happy w/ it. i'm partial to dan, though. i've had his uppie for about 1500mi. no problem. in the words of 1984- "dan knows what hes doing".

www.realultimatepower.net

God
    Thanks guys. My uppipe is full 304 stainless down to the EGT bung with 1/2 inch thick flanges. Includes studs too! I did my best at building something that was both super strong as well as affordable.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Do you need the gaskets for install or what?

do aftermarket uppipes need expantion joints like the factory one? mrt uppipe has one.

The factory uppipe is rigid, no expansion joint.

Plat,
    (I know this is off subject but...) you say you're running 13.8's in the 1/4. That's an old time right? That's not since your more recent upgrades. Just wondering what you're times are now with all the goodies added in.
    -Jim

beast,

Yes 13.8 is an old time. I'm going to the track tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how I do.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    beast,

Yes 13.8 is an old time. I'm going to the track tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how I do.

-Jim
    Cool, thanks. I was hoping all that work you did didn't just get you .2 seconds off in the 1/4. Good luck tomorrow.
    -Jim

a point to getting the stuck fasteners:

if you can drive the car and get the exhaust hot before you spray down all of the fasteners with liquid wrench or something, then the heat will help to draw the penetrant into the threads, and will also help in getting those stuck phukers off.

be careful, it will be hot in there. 8^)

--r

Wonder why god didnt include a flex hose in it, has it ever cracked? Im thinking about getting the one with the 321 stainless steel instead of the 304.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Does anyone know what the stock uppipe uses for steal? Is it 304?

I just received my Godspeed uppipe and Endless brake pads over the w/e. The uppipe is an automotive work of art. All of the welds are perfect and the pipe is much lighter than I thought it was going to be. I'm actually looking forward to the installation now, although I'll be doing the front brakes first.

The main thing with uppipe is weld quality. You can use the best steel and cut everything perfectly, but the welds are the source of failure in almost every welded steel pipe breakage.

-Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.