Uppipe, Downpipe, Muffler INSTALL GUIDE! - Page 8
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

This is a discussion on Uppipe, Downpipe, Muffler INSTALL GUIDE! within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; very helpful! i will be using this for the weekend when i tear mine apart!!! Ross...

very helpful! i will be using this for the weekend when i tear mine apart!!!

Ross

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I also want to say thank you for this write up. I found Perrin's instructions and your's very helpful for my install. A couple things I would like to add however. Jacking up the engine is not needed, you can twist the stock up-pipe and pull it over the frame. O2 sensor sockets are useless, or at least the one I got was. It kept twisting and getting the right torque on it was difficult. A 7/8" open end wrench is all you will need and is actually much more useful.
    Andrew

Never quit. Never do the expected. Never follow.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/wrxrolla

Quote Originally Posted by keystah

2) there is a small rubber hose coming out of the firewall that currently rests on the new downpipe. I'm thinking this is bad. What did you do to prevent this thing from melting in a hurry?
    ok so i found out the hard way about this hose. mine melted where it has been touching the downpipe. so my question is what is the hose for? and what should i do about it? replace it or what?
    thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dp.jpg  
    what?

A/c drainage

its the a/c drainage hose. you can just rotate it clockwise a tad. or cut it shorter, it doesntreally matter
    Meow listen here!

I just installed an invida downpipe on my 02 wrx and was wondering do you need your stock heat shield because mine was a pain to get off and now it wont seem to go on.

Thanks

You don't need the heatsheild but it is a good idea to have one on to prevent heat soak.
    Andrew

Do you have to remove the downpipe to install the Uppipe? I can't access all the bolts on the turbocharger to the uppipe.
    2003 WRB WRX Stg. 4
    2008 HTM xB

Yes you have to remove the downpipe to install the uppipe.
    Andrew

So you got rid of all the cats?? What about e-check guess you dont have that and also what did you do to keep the ecu from throwing a cel. On the protege there is 2 cats and with a header it removes the first cat so on the second 02 sensor we just use a sparkplug extender and it keeps the 02 sensor from getting so hot and it doesnt throw a code. If anyone has more info let me know since im going to buy a wrx soon and will be wanting to upgrade the exhaust.

Seems like a pretty comprehensive and well thought out install. But I think that instead I will have a shop do the work. When it comes to all this stuff, I want to have some guarantees that its done right (and also some recourse if its not). Still, the write up almost convinces me that I can do it myself.

with this guide, and a good set of tools, you can easily accomplish it. It took me 4.5hours to do up pipe and down pipe. it was a cinch to get the downpipe out, the up pipe was hard because of all the heatshields. I think you should do it, gives you a great sense of pride that you can do this stuff on your own, and not have to pay someone else to have all the fun!
    Meow listen here!

jeb

quick question

If you are only changing the downpipe can you leave the turbo and IC on?
    2002 Silver WRX

Quote Originally Posted by jeb
    If you are only changing the downpipe can you leave the turbo and IC on?
    yes you can leave it on, doesnt take long at all!!

Ross

Big help man
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||_____
    |.........Beer................| ||.....'|";\,___.
    |_...__...______...__..._|_||_|__|__..._|
    ..(@).(@)........(@) (@)................(@)............

ok i have had my pipes installed for about 6months now and love the new power, recenlty got my car dynoed and actually lost about 5 hp!! i noticed that i have an exhaust leak but cant find where, it might be on the up pipe side because when i hit the gas hard, the boost guage will flutter like crazy around 14psi. anyone know a good way of finding a leak? if it is the up pipe how could i fix it or pressure test it? it seem slike i would have to take the down pipe off to get to the remaning up pipe bolts.

any help would be great, thanks

btw i have the scooby up and down pipe with the dual tip scooby sport axleback.
    Meow listen here!