Uppipe, Downpipe, Muffler INSTALL GUIDE! - Page 7
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

This is a discussion on Uppipe, Downpipe, Muffler INSTALL GUIDE! within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; What should I torque the engine-mount bolt down to? I am doing the up-pipe tomorrow and I am just wondering ...

What should I torque the engine-mount bolt down to? I am doing the up-pipe tomorrow and I am just wondering if there is a specific torque spec or just tight enough?
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does this help? I went through the EJ20 Service Manual to get this page:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EJ20 Engine Mounting Specs.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

BUMP for a great thread.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

hey tubbytreats, ty for the write up, just did my install this past weekend and wow was it fun! for us, we did not remove the intercooler, but we did jack up the engine. that engine mount bolt was a little bastard! but nothing the breaker bar couldnt handle. we ended up twisting the uppipe towards the engine and eventually upside down and out through the downpipe area. there is this one bracket that goes between the turbo and up pipe, on the down pipe side, that is a real pain and the up pipe bolt kept getting stuck in it! but we pride it apart and got that heavy beast out of there. now the turbo whisle is present almost right away and its really loud! in total, it took us 4.5 hours to install the up/down pipe(no bloody knuckles either! w00t)

I retourqued them today but was wondering how can you torque the up pipe bolts underneath the down pipe? also, what CEL fix did you use for the scooby sport stuff? MIL or 2.2k ohm resistor?
    Meow listen here!

ttt

bump 4 a great write up!

I just got an HKS up pipe today. It's already 7pm so I don't think I'll get started on the install. Quick question though. If I'm doing just the up pipe, is there anything I can omit? Is there a thread that describes an up pipe installation only?

well... I started taking parts off at around 8 just to get a preview of what this was going to be like. But once I had the down pipe off I knew I had to keep going. Big mistake. I just finished 10 minutes ago. it's like 4am. DON'T LET THESE DIRECTIONS FOOL YOU. IT IS MUCH HARDER THAN IT SEEMS, AND I'M NO NOVICE. especially if you are putting stock stuff, like my down pipe, back on. well thanks for the write up though, it helped. What should I be looking for to make sure everything went ok?
    Last edited by BMXspears; 07-02-2005 at 06:31 PM.

What did you guys do to get the downpipe hanger bolt and downpipe transmission bracke t bolt off? I just can't get these things to budge. I've soaked them in PB Blaster like 4 times and I'm using my torque wrench for extra leverage but still nothing.

just use a cheater bar of some sort. chances are since you already soaked them in lubricant, they wont shear off.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronicon
    I retourqued them today but was wondering how can you torque the up pipe bolts underneath the down pipe? also, what CEL fix did you use for the scooby sport stuff? MIL or 2.2k ohm resistor?
    I got the Cobb AccessPORT, so no CEL fix or 2.2k Ohm resistor was needed. (Honestly, the resistor "fixes" won't pass ODB-II smog/emissions testing, so just get EM for your ECU and be done with it!)

Quote Originally Posted by BMXSpears
    What should I be looking for to make sure everything went ok?
    If all is well, your car will be louder! You should notice lots more low-end torque, and hear the whistling spool of your turbo more (assuming you swapped out the uppipe AND downpipe). You'll also spool about 300-500 RPMs sooner to full boost, somewhere around 2600 or 2700 RPM's in 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by porque
    What did you guys do to get the downpipe hanger bolt and downpipe transmission bracke t bolt off? I just can't get these things to budge. I've soaked them in PB Blaster like 4 times and I'm using my torque wrench for extra leverage but still nothing.
    I got lucky with these as my car only had 30K miles on it at exhaust install. Just keep soaking and working the bolts around, eventually they will free up. Honest.

2002 WRX Mods:

Hey guys,

I just go an oakos automotive shorty downpipe, i was wondering if i'd certainly get a CEL?

Hey Tubby,

GREAT THREAD FIRST OF ALL...

i just received my Stromung shorty dp and will be doin the dp install in the next couple days ...

After what looks like 2 years with STAGE 2 setup...any problems ?? leaks ??? still pulling strong ??? 1/4 times ?

thanks again
    2003 ASPEN WHITE WRX
    ------------------------
    Stage 2 !!!!

Anyone have any advice for getting the 02 sensor out of the stock downpipe? (i have the PDE downpipe, it replaces both cats, so i'm tlaking about the 02 sensor thats in the second part of the stock downpipe.) I took the whole downpipe out by just unclipping the wire, and using the 02 sensor socket that i got from autozone i still can't get the damn thing to move an inch even though i've soaked it a million times in PB Blaster. Any help would be sweet!
    04 Silver WRX

i just installed Txs Stealthback today and it was not a problem, but my car has only 4k miles on it too. Also the sensor was on the second cat pipe, not the downpipe. What I suggest is that since you have already pb blasted the hell out of it, go ahead and get a monkey wrench that is 7/8 inch (that was the size of mine at least ... not metric? ) then get a 1 foot pipe and it should come out.

Hopefully it was not misthreaded from the factory though, it could happen ...

By the way, the stealthback sounds soooooo nice. I like sports cars with subtle exhausts and this is very subtle, but the sound of the turbo is much more pronounced while the engine noise has only slightly increased. Seems to me that it is louder when the car has warmed up, not sure why that would be though

Bump because this thread is amazing. Excellent write-up.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke