Uppipe, Downpipe, Muffler INSTALL GUIDE! - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

This is a discussion on Uppipe, Downpipe, Muffler INSTALL GUIDE! within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Cool, it's ALL DONE NOW. No leaks from what I can see and I just took it for a spin. ...

Cool, it's ALL DONE NOW. No leaks from what I can see and I just took it for a spin. Boost levels appear to be the same, also it strangely seems that 1st gear is much more powerful. From idle up to 4000 rpms there is definatley more power, and the "power spikes" I got between 3k and 4k are nowhere to be found. Top end is hard to judge. How do you judge 15% more HP at the top? I think it will take more driving to decide for sure if I can feel some real top end gains (I hope so).

Oh yes and the sound. It is low, sounds like a V-8 but not quite as loud. I don't hear the exhaust too much at higher RPMS, which seems strange, but oh well. Also, you would probably hear it better being outside the car... but its great. A meanacing burble kinda noise coming from behind you. It feels like the car is poised to take off.

Not quite sure if it was worth the ungodly amount of $$$ I paid for it, but it sure is nice. I also think I may get more power as the ECU learns.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Justin,
    Don't mean to hijack your thread but I believe in your instructions you forgot to mention re-installing the intercooler. A few tips might be helpful as this tripped me up.

You didn't actually try driving WITHOUT your intercooler, huh?

I guess I thought it self-explanatory to put back ON all the things you took OFF in the process of the install. (I guess you can't please everybody!)

Hopefully someone here has found this thread helpful with their own installs.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

No, I didn't drive W/O the intercooler. I just thought you should put it in there for completeness but it's your call since it's your guide. And I found it very helpful- I used it as my guide to figuring everything out. I'll bet now that I've done it I could do it again in 5 hours or less.

Re: Rubber hose by downpipe

Originally posted by scoolbuzz
    The camera angle is bad, but it is not touching the pipe. It is within a centimeter though! I don't know how heat resistant it is but there is some close to the manifolds on the engine and it has burnt yet so I will continue to monitor it. It is called Split Loom. Buy it at Checkers.
    DON'T USE SPLIT LOOM! I checked today and it melted.

Link to the AC Drain Hose Thread

Do this instead
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails downpipeoncar.jpg  
    Last edited by scoolbuzz; 02-02-2004 at 08:05 PM.

Tubbytreats, I am sure this has been beaten half to death, but I just got done with a full turboback install, and all i can say about your writeup is that if you are ever in my neck of the woods, I owe you a drink.........or two..........
    - DC
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

Hey man, thanks for the compliments! I really did this DIY (Do It Yourself) because there were simply NO good instructions on the web on how to do this install yourself.

I spent a good 9-10 hours one Saturday with a friend compiling (3) different sets of instructions trying to figure this thing out. I figured if I could simplify the hassle of combining several sources while adding some good pictures to the mix, I would.

So here we have it, the official thread on how to install an Uppipe, Downpipe, or Muffler! Pass this link along to others!

PS - I edited the 1st post in this thread with some video clips of the same exhaust system I have on RallyPerformance.com's showroom ride. It's quite a great way to hear what my exact exhaust system sounds like.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Love the new clips. One question...where's the 0-60 WOT clip?!
    (((((((Slower traffic keep right)))))))

There are sound clips on rally performances website.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

BUMP - New Exhaust videos added to the top post!

2002 WRX Mods:

I Support ClubWRX
    Tubby,

I just want you to know that these instructions were invaluable in my installation last week! (described in link, below.)

Thank you!
    Steve

Cleveland Westside: Installing up/dn Saturday - Beer!

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

Originally posted by scoolbuzz
    1) You can put the top part back on (the part with the X over the hand). Use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. Cut it like the attached file.

2) For the rubber hose got to Checkers and buy some 3/4" Split Loom. Cut a piece of it off (the split loom) and disconnect that rubber piece on your car from the bracket. Put the loom around the rubber piece and bend the rubber piece a little so it rests on the part of the frame oposite the side of the downpipe.
    Do you need a heat sheild or can u just take it off?

Originally posted by WRXnProgress
    Do you need a heat sheild or can u just take it off?
    Yes you must unless you want to melt your IC hoses. Search for the pics I posted of my modded heat shield.

ya man i saw that. I fabricated it to fit now its all good in the "hood" Nice install guide it helped... just waiting on some stuipd gaskets i need to install mid pipe

Hey tubbytreats I just wanted to thank you for the write up. I used it over the weekend.
    l Mods l