Uppipe, Downpipe, Muffler INSTALL GUIDE! - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

This is a discussion on Uppipe, Downpipe, Muffler INSTALL GUIDE! within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; BTW, Can you share with us your overall impression of this system?...

BTW,
    Can you share with us your overall impression of this system?
    (((((((Slower traffic keep right)))))))

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Overall Impression:

Well, you can bet that after shelling out $1200 ($1110 for Scoobysport, another $70 for SubyDude gaskets, and extra cash for tools and parts) for this entire system, I'd be wanting to see some performance gains from it. Here are my findings and the differences I notice since the upgrade.

1. Low end torque has increased so significantly! I can start the car off at 2000 rpm easily now with no bogging or sagging.

2. Power is more pronounced! I can hear the turbo whistle sound as (2) cats have now been removed. The turbo spool up whistle now is coming out my exhaust pipe!! It's a wonderful sound, amplified even more by my Injen CAI.

3. The sound is incredible!! You now can definately hear the "boxter note" from the engine. It has a very deep rumble, a putter-putter that wasn't found or noticed beforehand. I have countless people who ask me if it's a V6 or V8 when I drive out for lunch. When I tell them its a "horizontally opposed 4 cylinder" they are shocked. (Even more shocked when I tell them I have 260 HP at the crank now!)

That's Nissan Altima territory, V6 Accord territory, etc...

4. After the 1st day's running, I have no leaks, and no more rubber smell. The WD-40 and my SubyDude gaskets put up a definate funk for 70-150 miles.

5. Boost levels: They are pretty much unchanged from stock. I don't notice any boost spiking as some others have commented. It's pretty much the same, but comes on full boost a full 500-600 rpms earlier! (It's a shorter ride to redline now!)
    Last edited by tubbytreats; 10-09-2003 at 02:01 PM.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    awesome...I cannot wait for my warranty period to subside.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

GREAT writeup. Thank you so much for that. This will be an integral part of my upipe install this week.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Thanks for such a great tutorial.

Wow!! great writeup. Just one picky detail: on about the tenth post you have a picture labeled "exhaust manifold" and "header", I'm pretty sure that the pipe labled header is actually the bottom of the uppipe. and the picture after it is the manifold to crossover pipe. Looks like you got them mixed up
    Last edited by mourning_air; 10-15-2003 at 02:07 PM.
    <Ryan>
    '00 Silverthorn Metallic 2.5 RS
    '04 San Remo Red WRX Wagon

W. of LA but miles and miles from where I would rather be.
    great write up. Thank you for taking the time to do this.
    RR

Tubbytreats, thanks ALOT! (just reading your 'how to' makes me wanna 'uh uh' mod!!! how long did total install take?
    -STomp
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

Great writeup. When I got BPM-GT TBE exhaust installed, I noticed significant low-end torque/hp increase. However, top-end power isn't much improved.....

Where exactly are you jacking the front? It looks to me like you using the sub-frame, that's not ideal. It should be fron the stock jacking points (under the sideskirts) or the plate behind the oil pan.

PKer,
    Yes, I set my car down on the jack stands on the subframe. Believe me, it's strong enough and you should experience NO problems jacking up your WRX there. The subframe is reinforced and will be able to easily handle being jacked at those points.

Tubby

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Originally posted by tubbytreats
    PKer,
    Yes, I set my car down on the jack stands on the subframe. Believe me, it's strong enough and you should experience NO problems jacking up your WRX there. The subframe is reinforced and will be able to easily handle being jacked at those points.

Tubby
    I do the same thing. Works just fine.

did you get CEL after instaling it or did you get the box from ScoobySport too???
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

2000 miles later, still have a CEL that is on occasionally (it's really random when the computer chooses to show a CEL, some days on the whole time, other days on just for a few minutes and then off again) Weeoowd.

I'm waiting on doing something like the 2.4 Resistor Mod to my EGT sensor wire because I'm going to reflash with Cobb Stage 2 AccessPort in Feb. They can eliminate JUST this CEL light from the ECU so that it won't show up again, and I won't have to jerry-rig my wiring of the EGT sensor.

2002 WRX Mods:

thanx, i guess i'll go with the box that eliminates CEL because it would bother me.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY