Uppipe, Downpipe, Muffler INSTALL GUIDE! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Uppipe, Downpipe, Muffler INSTALL GUIDE! within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; All of my ScoobySport Parts:...

All of my ScoobySport Parts:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scoobysport stuff.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Muffler Comparison #1:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails muffler comparison 1.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Muffler Comparison #2:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails muffler comparison 2.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:

Muffler Comparison #3:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails muffler comparison 3.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:

Reassembly:

If you are using the ScoobySport uppipe, you might want to buy the threaded stud bolts that normally fit the stock uppipe. I didn't know this and wasn't forewarned before my install, so I had a bit of difficulty. If you are fortunate (intelligent) enough to have purchased new stud bolts, you can insert them into your new uppipe with ease and be on your way.

IF NOT:
    1. You will need to heavily soak the bolts on your uppipe with WD-40 or Liquid Wrench. Lots of this stuff works best. The tricky part is to place (2) nuts onto the longer thread of the stud bolt in opposite directions. (IE: Place both "shoulders" of the nuts facing together on the bolt)

2. Tighten these (2) bolts together on the stud and then try to remove the stud bolt from your old uppipe with a wrench and a friend standing on the uppipe to keep it balanced (a table bench and a vice clamp would have been wonderful here)

3. After removing all (5) uppipe bolts, insert them into your new uppipe as tightly as possible.

CONTINUING THE INSTALL:
    4. Insert the EGT Sensor into your uppipe.

5. Insert new uppipe into your engine through the bottom of your car, sliding these studded bolts into your turbocharger. Put (1) nut on the bolt to hold your uppipe in place. (Make sure you put either the stock gasket or your new SubyDude gaskets onto the uppipe before insertion!!)

6. While you install the top of the uppipe, have your friend re-install the exhaust manifold to each of the headers (using the SubyDude gaskets if you have them) and then install the exhaust manifold to the uppipe you just installed (ensuring once again to use proper gaskets)

7. Tighten up the bolts and nuts on the exhaust manifold to proper torque specs:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrxexhaust-front.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:

Reassembly Continued:

1. After tightening up uppipe properly to turbocharger and exhaust manifold, and after ensuring that the exhaust manifold is tightly secured, continue to replace the heat shields that go around the uppipe and exhaust manifold sections.

2. Re-install the O2 sensor into your intake manifold through the passenger side wheel well.

3. Plug the EGT sensor from the uppipe into the wiring socket on the passenger side of the engine bay.

4. Attach downpipe to turbocharger using the 5 bolts coming from the turbo (14mm nuts). Ensure once again that you are re-installing the old gasket or the new SubyDude gasket between the turbocharger and the downpipe.

5. Attach the midpipe to the downpipe (again, using the stock gasket, SubyDude doesn't give you one here) with the (1) 14mm bolt and nut and the (1) 14mm nut that goes on the threaded stud from the midpipe.

6. Hang the midpipe on the midpipe hanger, securing the 14mm bolt that holds the midpipe on the hanger.

7. Attach the center pipe to the midpipe with the (2) stock spring bolts and 14mm nuts.

8. Remove the muffler by removing the (2) 14mm bolts attaching it to the rear center pipe. Install the new muffler onto the rubber hangers, re-insert the stock gasket, and install the new muffler to the rear center pipe tightly.

Enjoy your new found torque and power!

PS:
    You WILL have smoke coming out of your hood scoop at stoplights for around the first 50-100 miles. It looks bad and smells even worse, but usually is just the WD-40 burning off, or the SubyDude gaskets making a nice tight seal on your uppipe and downpipe. Don't worry about it, it WILL go away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rear 02 sensor (on midpipe).jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:

More Pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside scoobysport uppipe 2.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:

another...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside scoobysport downpipe.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:

My car just before the install...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrx before exhaust.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:

more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rhino ramps for rear wheels.jpg  

2002 WRX Mods:

WOW!!!, awsome writeup tubbytreats!
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

Very nice
    Dom
    03 Platinum Silver WRX

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    mods should sticky this. Best and most comprehensive tutorial with pics that i have seen so far...! This is priceless!
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

2002 WRX Mods:

Fire bad! Tubbytreats good!
    thanks...
    (((((((Slower traffic keep right)))))))

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.