Gutting Catalytic converters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gutting Catalytic converters within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Does anyone know what tools ill need, and how to do gut the third cat. I am also interested in ...

Gutting Catalytic converters

Does anyone know what tools ill need, and how to do gut the third cat. I am also interested in gutting the stock up-pipe, but the removal and install looks a bit tedious for someone with no garage... Should i just purchase aftermarket midpipes, or should i quit bein a puss and just gut em???
    Thanks for your input, now back to watching the Cubs win
    -Jason
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

stop bein a puss and gut em. Easiest way to gut the mid-pipe is with a 1" extra long drill bit and a long screw driver.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

Yeah, I did the 3rd cat ream job, and it wasn't too bad. I've heard the uppipe is a bee-atch, though. You can get a decent uppipe for like $175, I think.
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

Originally posted by JohnZim63
    Yeah, I did the 3rd cat ream job, and it wasn't too bad. I've heard the uppipe is a bee-atch, though. You can get a decent uppipe for like $175, I think.
    I tried to take it off, but I couldn't. How did you take off the 3rd cat without taking off the downpipe? The 3rd cat has a permanent bolt and holding hook on it. The pipe could only move forward, but the downpipe was in the way.
    Drifting away...

I bought a stock UP pipe and gutted it with a few drill bits. start with a small (1/4" dia) drill. this will help locate the drilling with a larger drill bit, but you need to get a drill bit at least 8-9" long to go all the way through. Then chunck it out with a big screw driver and a hammer. Make sure you get all the material out. mine had one layer stuck to the inside wall. I used a chisel, but a sharpened screw driver would work too. then for yucks and grinns, i used a dremel or die grinder to smooth out the openings on both ends. And for the "what the heck", I took it to work and sandblased out the insides and mounting surfaces. I haven't installed it yet, but now I am ready.

I Support ClubWRX
    For security's sake, I would just buy the part needed without the cat. I'd be too scared that something was missed in the gutting and would end up in my engine (UP wise that is).
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    For security's sake, I would just buy the part needed without the cat. I'd be too scared that something was missed in the gutting and would end up in my engine (UP wise that is).
    you do realize that something left in the up pipe would end up in the turbo, and not the engine, right?

it's not hard to gut an up pipe--buy a spare, take your time, do it right.

you are talking about the catalisator that is located after the exhaust manifold and before the turbocharger?
    I ve gutted it but you will not be able to do that with a large screwdiriver or a dril. I couldn't even hammer cat out. I had to cut pipe in half and gut it with a hydraulic press
    so prepare for some welding

Hold up. How many cats are there? There should be one inline from the turbo to the tailpipe. Where are the other two cats?

3. 1 in the uppipe and an aftermarket downpipe replaces 2.

Factory service manual says there are two cats. And that is all I've seen so far since I took off my exhaust system from turbo-back.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mike3026 View Post
    Factory service manual says there are two cats. And that is all I've seen so far since I took off my exhaust system from turbo-back.
    I guess you missed the cat in the up-pipe prior to the turbo...but if you were looking from the turbo back you obviously wont see the one before the turbo.

06+'s and all STI's only have 2 cats in the DP.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Oh okay there's a hidden cat the factory manual doesn't tell you about on that pipe from the header to the turbo.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mike3026 View Post
    Oh okay there's a hidden cat the factory manual doesn't tell you about on that pipe from the header to the turbo.
    If you are looking at a STI service manual it wont be in there. If you are looking at a manual for a 06+ WRX it wont be in there.

From 02-05 wrx's it's there.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

That's the one. It is also, probably, the most important one to remove.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast