Battery grounding mod.

This is a discussion on Battery grounding mod. within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I performed the battery grounding mod today. I used 8-gauge automotive copper rope which I found at RadioShack being sold ...

Battery grounding mod.

I performed the battery grounding mod today. I used 8-gauge automotive copper rope which I found at RadioShack being sold as speaker cable for 99c/ft. Every auto store I went to had sold out of copper ring terminals, so I just used steel ones from Car Toys @25c each. I did not find any oxide-inhibitor grease yet, with which to protect the connections.

As per the original I-club thread detailing this mod, I ran 5 cables from the battery negative terminal to the following locations:

- Passenger side strut.
    - Center of firewall behind IC.
    - Top of manifold on passenger side at existing grounding bolt.
    - Top of manifold on driver side at existing grounding bolt.
    - Driver side strut.

Some of the guys on I-club had the last cable running to the driver-side fender next to the battery, at the existing grounding point. I ran it to the driver's strut instead since it seemed somewhat redundant in the other location.

The improvements in driveability were immediately noticeable for me. I was getting terribly jerky acceleration in 2nd, and 3rd gears, which was most pronounced when the motor is cold or when the ambient temperature is below freezing. However, recently it's been bad even when the motor is up to operating temperature. After performing the mod, there was a definite improvement, and the jerkiness is now only barely perceptible.

Pics to follow...

-Pace

http://i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=141932

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p3100001.jpg  

Pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p3100002.jpg  

One more..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p3100003.jpg  

When performing this mod do I need to remove the factory grounds? It seems that the black/yellow wires are 8 gauge and connect to the neg term on the battery. I have not modified my car yet but notice the hesitation in 4th and 5th around 3k RPMs. Thanks for the help...

Not Skeptical Any More>

I did the mod yesterday and only used 1 wire from the negative terminal to intake manifold ( as per some i-club member's experiences) and must admit that the engine is smoother and on/off throttle response is improved thru the entire rpm range. I did not reset the ECU and probably will not add any more wires as of now.

God- Just curious if you had any success in eliminating your hesitation with the grounding mod?

Barry

this really worth it? i mean it looks like a haggard mess but if its worth it then ill do it

I Support ClubWRX
    Most cars don't have it. You can determine whether it's worth it empirically, using a single wire as described by the post above yours in... 2002.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

dang thats old lol