I performed the battery grounding mod today. I used 8-gauge automotive copper rope which I found at RadioShack being sold as speaker cable for 99c/ft. Every auto store I went to had sold out of copper ring terminals, so I just used steel ones from Car Toys @25c each. I did not find any oxide-inhibitor grease yet, with which to protect the connections.
As per the original I-club thread detailing this mod, I ran 5 cables from the battery negative terminal to the following locations:
- Passenger side strut.
- Center of firewall behind IC.
- Top of manifold on passenger side at existing grounding bolt.
- Top of manifold on driver side at existing grounding bolt.
- Driver side strut.
Some of the guys on I-club had the last cable running to the driver-side fender next to the battery, at the existing grounding point. I ran it to the driver's strut instead since it seemed somewhat redundant in the other location.
The improvements in driveability were immediately noticeable for me. I was getting terribly jerky acceleration in 2nd, and 3rd gears, which was most pronounced when the motor is cold or when the ambient temperature is below freezing. However, recently it's been bad even when the motor is up to operating temperature. After performing the mod, there was a definite improvement, and the jerkiness is now only barely perceptible.
Pics to follow...