stock air intake has a silencer?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on stock air intake has a silencer? within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; if it does is there a way to remove it?...

stock air intake has a silencer?

if it does is there a way to remove it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yeah it has a silencer. A lot of people remove it (i did). Do a search here or on scoobymods.com. you'll get 100's of answers.
    autobahn storming scooby

does this by chance void the warrenty?

Originally posted by Alpha_32
    does this by chance void the warrenty?
    Probably. I think Subaru voids the warranty if you put gas in your tank, air in your tires, or miles on the odometer. That's just the way they are. Don't sweat it.

Get that sucker out of there- if you need help, PM me and I'll walk you through it- you can hear the BOV and it gives a little extra torque off the line.

Originally posted by bone324
    Probably. I think Subaru voids the warranty if you put gas in your tank, air in your tires, or miles on the odometer. That's just the way they are. Don't sweat it.
    The warranty "voiding" has been beaten to death all over the place. You can just up and void a whole warranty, look around on this site with a search, it's even a sticky in the maintenence forum...

Or you could wait for this to come out: Resonator box elbow replacement

Take a look there... it's the thread started a while back. Looks like it should be out by mid April.
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone by chance have a .mp3 or .wav of their car minus silencer? I love the rumble of my Strömung exhaust and wouldn't want to spoil the harmony... ..but more noise is almost always better

I'm not mad for the air-brake sigh from BOVs - is the stock BOV much more noticable without silencer?
    black 02 Rex
    strömung cat back, prodrive anthracite P7s on pirelli p-zeros, morettes, etc., assorted carbon fiber gewgaws.

The car without the silencer and stock BOV is a whisper compared to the aftermarket BOV's.

Hey jedimaster Just wonder what you use to fill the gap between the box and the fender ?
    and did u take teh rubber peace out inside the box ??

and did you notice that your boost doesn't stay as high as it use to ?? I ask this cuz i just i just did this mod and use PVC pipe and reallize that my boost doesm't stay at 13.5 like it use too it stay at 13

I may be new but my stock '03 wagon doesn't push more than 9 PSI and I did not see a drop in pressure after removing the silencer box. Not trying to talk smack but where are you coming from????

something is wrong with your car! You're only running wastegate pressure (9 psi)! Check your vacuum connections.
    autobahn storming scooby

By vacuum connections i mean the line running from the wastegate nipple to the nipple right by the turbo outlet...
    autobahn storming scooby

I just did the Intake Silencer Removal, and I love it. Engine sounds deeper at low RPM's and you hear the turbo spooling up. My only 2 questions are, a) Should I keep the Ram Air in, or is it not needed, and b) All that I did was take out the silencer, no plugging or anything, Will that do any harm? Thanks

Craig
    Last edited by Suby1128; 06-30-2003 at 09:24 AM.
    Blitz Dual Turbo Timer, Intake Silencer Mod, Debadged Trunk, 18" P1's Silver, Nitto Tires, Painted Sideskirts, Kartboy Short Throw Shifter, Carbon Fiber Side Markers, Painted Headlights, Eibach Pro Kit, Helix Flex Uppipe, Stromung Shorty Downpipe, Custom 3rd Cat Delete Pipe, Bosal 3" Twin Tip Catback

Craig,

Remove the Ram Air Scoop and just plug the fender hole (where the scoop led into) with this part: "Fender Well Blocking Plate" PN# 46059FA000. Five bucks at local Subaru Dealer. Its a stock part for the 99-01 RS.

Thats what I did. Looks very stock. Keeps the hot engine bay air away from the fender.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast