stock air intake has a silencer? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on stock air intake has a silencer? within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally posted by jroman836 Craig, Remove the Ram Air Scoop and just plug the fender hole (where the scoop led ...

Originally posted by jroman836
    Craig,

Remove the Ram Air Scoop and just plug the fender hole (where the scoop led into) with this part: "Fender Well Blocking Plate" PN# 46059FA000. Five bucks at local Subaru Dealer. Its a stock part for the 99-01 RS.

Thats what I did. Looks very stock. Keeps the hot engine bay air away from the fender.
    jroman836, how would the air go into the fender if you take out the ram scoop and plug the fender hole?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by emily
    Does anyone by chance have a .mp3 or .wav of their car minus silencer? I love the rumble of my Strömung exhaust and wouldn't want to spoil the harmony... ..but more noise is almost always better

I'm not mad for the air-brake sigh from BOVs - is the stock BOV much more noticable without silencer?
    The difference isn't dramatic like say a Honda with an intake vs a Honda without an intake. Your car might growl just a little bit more when you stomp on it. If you want a big difference, do the airbox hack.
    Most likely your exhaust will cover additional noise removing the silencer makes. And you'll hear something that sounds like a sneeze from the passenger side fender when you let off from full boost.

When I did this, I didn't completely remove the snorkus. I cut off the bottom portion (just below the ram air inlet) which takes a good 2 ft off the intake track. I kept the ram scoop on to look stock. It definately sounds deeper and with a K&N, it absolutley screams when at full boost. The BOV doesn't sound any different to me.
    03 Subaru WRX Sonic Yellow
    "The Short Bus"
    Looks like ****, Goes like stink.

Originally posted by bone324
    Probably. I think Subaru voids the warranty if you put gas in your tank, air in your tires, or miles on the odometer. That's just the way they are. Don't sweat it.
    HAHA! They will even void it w/ one of their own parts; a STi muffler!

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Ok so what happens when you hit a major water puddle and splash water all over the place? Aren't you afraid of hydrolocking your engine?

Originally posted by scoob
    Ok so what happens when you hit a major water puddle and splash water all over the place? Aren't you afraid of hydrolocking your engine?
    I think you can buy a plug that will keep H2O out. Anyone know about this???
    I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Originally posted by 04EJ20
    I think you can buy a plug that will keep H2O out. Anyone know about this???

I know there is a plug for the inner wall of the engine bay, but what about the rest of the area in the finder well? All I know is that I have seen pictures ofthe wrx going through water with water coming out of the air vents in the bumper etc. and I would feel very uncomfortable driving mine in rally-like conditions with the intake sucking right from the finder all out in the open like that you know?

Limehatless Avatar - I'm a trend scoffer.
    I just cut the "gallon jug" like thing off the intake on mine, so there's a big hole in the little U pipe but otherwise it's stock (I believe in the "snorkus" as I noticed differences between running just the airbox vs. the airbox with the snorkle).

And I've done this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails watercrossing.jpg  
    BUGEYE 4 LYFE! Or uh maybe not

RIP Team Intrinsic Viva la Project 1! http://www.prjct1.com/

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 4EAT Aspen White "Akane"
    Mod List, Picts

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan Aspen White "Akane II"

I know there is a plug for the inner wall of the engine bay, but what about the rest of the area in the finder well? All I know is that I have seen pictures ofthe wrx going through water with water coming out of the air vents in the bumper etc. and I would feel very uncomfortable driving mine in rally-like conditions with the intake sucking right from the finder all out in the open like that you know?
    I flooded a Jeep once. She never ran the same, but it looks like Vostok has the right idea...

I just got my car back from the shop. I went to COBB's Stage 2 with a Perrin DP. Using my G-Tech I just ran a 13.7@101MPH in the rain! It looks like I'm up from 195HP to about 220HP. COBB has it listed as 224HP on their chart with a full turbo-back, so I think I'm close to true numbers being that I only did the DP and the only other mod I have is a Perrin Uppipe...

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Originally posted by 04EJ20
    I flooded a Jeep once. She never ran the same, but it looks like Vostok has the right idea...

I just got my car back from the shop. I went to COBB's Stage 2 with a Perrin DP. Using my G-Tech I just ran a 13.7@101MPH in the rain! It looks like I'm up from 195HP to about 220HP. COBB has it listed as 224HP on their chart with a full turbo-back, so I think I'm close to true numbers being that I only did the DP and the only other mod I have is a Perrin Uppipe...

Good job guys, I'm imprezzed!

Vostok,
    Are you saying it's better to run the front snorkle with the airbox and the resonator out, with nothing in between them? Sounds cool if so.

Limehatless Avatar - I'm a trend scoffer.
    Vostok,
    Are you saying it's better to run the front snorkle with the airbox and the resonator out, with nothing in between them? Sounds cool if so.
    No, because the snorkle flops around since it's only held in by the two bolts on the radiator support.

What I did was cut the gallon jug (the resonator/silencer) off the U pipe that connects the snorkle with the airbox, then put everything back togeather. It looks 100% stock, certainly doesn't sound it .

I did however notice a difference in power application between having just the airbox and the snorkle/cleared U pipe/airbox. Maybe it was just me though.

What I'm going to do now is get a U pipe from http://www.generationplastics.com/ which is almost exactly like the stock unit, without the resonator/silencer. It even has the same bolts so it bolts right up.

Vostok 7
    BUGEYE 4 LYFE! Or uh maybe not

RIP Team Intrinsic Viva la Project 1! http://www.prjct1.com/

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 4EAT Aspen White "Akane"
    Mod List, Picts

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan Aspen White "Akane II"

Good idea bro, just rememeber to put a drain hole in it!

Good job guys, I'm imprezzed!
    Thanks man!!!

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

You just don't get on the throttle through the puddle so you don't suck air/water in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.